“A Brief Observation on Denzel Washington’s Vision of August Wilson’s ‘Fences’

AlainLocke

Banned
Daps
I didn't write this btw...and never tried to pass it off as my own...check out this professor's blog...good brother.

“A Brief Observation on Denzel Washington’s Vision of August Wilson’s ‘Fences’ & Black Male Infidelity” by Dr. T. Hasan Johnson

I’m watching Kurt Russell in Tombstone (1993) after having watched Denzel’s Fences. Russell plays a newly retired lawman Wyatt Earp moving to Tombstone to strike it rich. He’s married and moves to town with his wife and brothers. He and his wife are subtly unhappy but not obviously so. His wife is suffering from some medical ailment and is addicted to drugs. She’s portrayed as not seeing his vision and isn’t really connected to him…and she’s a bit self-absorbed. She also doesn’t know how to support him after his brother is killed. Earp finds new perspective with a new woman and through the course of the film, the story justifies his choice by highlighting his wife’s disconnection from him. By the end you feel sorry for Earp and feel he’s justified in moving on to a new relationship.

In Fences, Troy starts to feel disconnected from his wife and isolated…his sacrifices for the family feeling all-consuming. He, too, seeks solace elsewhere. In the past, men’s social obligation was to provide at all costs, regardless of how one felt. There was (and often still isn’t) even a language for how a man felt about the weight of being socially-expected to provide for family, and it’s not surprising that such labor often guaranteed a shorter lifespan (I still marvel at how many families’ “Big Mamas” I meet who lost their husbands decades ago).

What I notice is that in this way both movies are actually quite similar. Both men essentially feel the same, but in popular media narratives men’s pain has to be immediately erased in observation of women’s pain and sacrifice. Despite the differences between both characters’ race, time period, class status, wealth opportunities, historical existence, and profession they are nonetheless linked as blue-collar men negotiating society’s expectations in regard to manhood. (Although Earp existed, he’s “represented” in this film and is thus an imaginative fixture, whereas “Troy” did not exist–but there are many everyday “Troys” in Black America). Whether in the Old West or in 1950s Pittsburg, PA–despite being separated by race–neither group of lower middle-class men controlled patriarchal standards in society. Nevertheless, in both contexts these men (and many of us viewers) learned to defer to women when in conflict. For example, notice in the Fences trailer how Denzel’s “Troy” mentions he’s been standing in the same place for 18 years and Viola’s “Rose” immediately follows with, “I’ve been standing with you!!” Such a shaming tactic disallows men to actually articulate their own feelings about social obligation and sacrifice–right or wrong. The resulting, acceptable form of male emoting? Silence. He’s supposed to stand in awe of her sacrifice while ignoring his own.

Last edited:

cam>

All Star
Daps
Very well written.

It's useful to note that the silencing ritual of male pain is also a patriarchal side effect.

Patriarchy dictates that manhood concern itself with domination and control, without openness and vulnerability- resulting in the normalized emotionally detachment of men, and billions of men who suffer in silence until their deaths.

Our gender roles, as they are, allow women to express a spectrum of emotions - although these expressions are treated as inherent weaknesses.

I agree with the writer's assertion that we often do defer to the woman in conflict, but I disagree with the reason he implies.

We see women as weaker and therefore needing more help. We romanticize the idea of damsels needing aid, and so we're generally at the ready to hear a woman's pain.

I want to write more about this but typing on my phone right now is pissing me off.lol

Last edited:

tater

Superstar
Daps
I agree, it was well written. I thought OP wrote it at first, I thought :ehh:.

I can actually agree with this. I watched this movie twice, once with my dad. His critique of the movie was interesting and not something I even thought of. He said he thought the movie reminded him of the color purple and he didn't like it. I think the color purple is definitely a portrait of a black woman suffering and living this difficult life. That was the main theme in that entire movie IMO. I didn't get that at all from fences.

Yes, Rose was subjected to Troy's...transgressions and was an emotional mule for him. She stayed and that situation was commonplace in those days. Women didn't really have many options, so they stayed. I don't think the movie was really even about that though. I keep seeing this theme discussed and I feel it was minor and it was much more about Troy's inner failures and trying to care for his family at the same time. His emotions with his past and with his son were obviously looming through every scene in the movie. I think his not being able to express those emotions led him to find solace with another woman. The story crossed racial lines and is a struggle I think most men could have. I think this comparison is definitely better than my dads of the color purple.

AlainLocke

Banned
Daps
Our gender roles, as they are, allow women to express a spectrum of emotions - although these expressions are treated as inherent weaknesses.

I agree with the writer's assertion that we often do defer to the woman in conflict, but I disagree with the reason he implies.

We see women as weaker and therefore needing more help. We romanticize the idea of damsels needing aid, and so we're generally at the ready to hear a woman's pain.
l

That's not true for Black women though...

Every single infliction and emotional outburst...emotional suffering for a Black woman makes her strong and tough. It makes her dignified. It makes her the backbone of the "community". You supposed to honor. Of course if you contrast the Sapphire, Jezebel caricatures of Black women to White women within the framework of Whiteness...the Black woman is at a loss...but within the Black population, the Black woman looks good. I don't even think Black men expect a White model of femininity out of Black women.

No Black man is capable of saving a Black woman and White men aren't interested in whatsoever.the whole damsel in distress thing for a Black woman doesn't even sense.

When it comes to men and Black men in specifically, any emotion outside of anger is a weakness. A man's suffering or sacrifice isn't to be honored and exalted, it is expected. Black men are disposable.

A White women is treated like a damsel...a princess...a Black woman is treated like a warrior-queen...a Black woman is a matriarch...the devotion they expect and the admiration they get is different than any other woman. It's regal almost. We got Black men calling Black women gods and shyt. It's weird.

A Black man is treated like drone...like an ant...we do not get any respect or admiration for our troubles. We don't even give each other the respect or admiration...we tell each other to suck that shyt up and keep going. We are supposed to pay the patriarchal role with none of the glory and without the capability to be patriarchs. It doesn't even make any sense. Black women get the "patriarchal glory" from her sacrifice and suffering. There's no reward for a Black man to be a traditional patriarch.

Last edited:

TEH

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Wow :ohhh:@ this level of writing in TLR ... carry on ... I'm just here reading ... :blessed:

Truefan31

Superstar
Daps
Denzel is probably the only actor i know that can carry any movie all by himself. He's that good, maybe the best ever.

Just watched Remember the Titans too, the scene where they bout to get on the bus to go to camp, ol whiteys try to tell him who's playing defense.

"Who's your daddy Gary? Go on say it":mjlol: