“People of color”

Black Panther

Long Live The King
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
all due respect but that sounds to me like useless semantics in order to justify things.

people of color = colored people

the meaning is exactly the same. It’s two different ways of saying the same thing.

what makes one offensive and not the other?

so in other words it's all bullshyt then

It's a semantic difference, but social and cultural effects in the US give meaning behind the distinction of these two terms.

If you're honestly wondering why these two terms mean the same thing but differ vastly in how society perceives them, yet you're refusing to delve into the sociocultural context, you're being disingenuous.

In other words, you're ignoring the societal forces that made those terms come about.

That being said, given your post history, I personally think you're trolling.
So hold this neg. :bpufedup:

Last edited:

mbewane

Knicks: 93 til infinity
Daps
Reppin
Brussels, Belgium
I was just reading a book about Postcololniality in Belgium (related to the Congo) today, in which it is said that "People of color" was indeed a word that replaced "nigg*rs" and "indigenous". A euphamized PC way of calling the same people.

All in all, its very existence emphasized the fact that the "standard" is White, and that all other people have to be qualified since they diverge from the standard. (In Europe it's also a convenient way of not calling Whites "White", since you're not talking about "Blacks" neither. It keeps the discussion vague).