2024 UPDATE!! Altman: prepare for AI to be "uncomfortable" 33% US jobs gone..SKYNET, AI medical advances? BASIC INCOME? 1st AI MOVIE! IRS using AI

GnauzBookOfRhymes

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
That's fair but his finer point, that he didn't really go into here, is about the dependency on the algorithms - such as neural networks for example -underlying usage in the training and information retrieval in the models of today. Models built on that foundation have a human dependency and will for the foreseeable future. I was at a conference recently where he was speaking on the topic of AI and thought his comments better summarized why I disagree with the obsession of people believing there is a looming AI revolution that is going to replace a major part of the human workforce.

Grasping at straws(men) 😂

No one seriously suggests that AI means humans will be completely replaced. It will undoubtedly be used by governments and other organizations to expand and entrench their powers. But I think it’s a bit naive to assume that the extent to which systems depend on human intervention etc won’t change as time goes on. Like anything, the early stages will require more managing but we already have some evidence. I mean it was only a cpl of years ago that many people believed that developers would be immune to any shifts in the industry. But now not only as the systems able to write the code, but they can do the testing/fixes etc that ppl thought would still require a team of developers.

Look at what’s happening with the media. Go back a couple pages and dudes were talking about how AI would never be trusted to produce content and now every other day some legacy media organization is admitting that AI is a fundamental plank of their business strategy going forward. It’s creating content, police will be using it to write reports upon which other decisions will be based. AI is creating reality.

bnew

Veteran
Daps

We'll need universal basic income - AI 'godfather'​

Computer scientist Geoffrey Hinton seen during a BBC interview

Article information

The computer scientist regarded as the “godfather of artificial intelligence” says the government will have to establish a universal basic income to deal with the impact of AI on inequality.

Professor Geoffrey Hinton told BBC Newsnight that a benefits reform giving fixed amounts of cash to every citizen would be needed because he was “very worried about AI taking lots of mundane jobs”.

“I was consulted by people in Downing Street and I advised them that universal basic income was a good idea,” he said.

He said while he felt AI would increase productivity and wealth, the money would go to the rich “and not the people whose jobs get lost and that’s going to be very bad for society”.

Professor Hinton is the pioneer of neural networks, which form the theoretical basis of the current explosion in artificial intelligence.

Until last year he worked at Google, but left the tech giant so he could talk more freely about the dangers from unregulated AI.

The concept of a universal basic income amounts to the government paying all individuals a set salary regardless of their means.

Critics say it would be extremely costly and divert funding away from public services, while not necessarily helping to alleviate poverty.

A government spokesman said there were "no plans to introduce a universal basic income".

Professor Hinton reiterated his concern that there were human extinction-level threats emerging.

Developments over the last year showed governments were unwilling to rein in military use of AI, he said, while the competition to develop products rapidly meant there was a risk tech companies wouldn't “put enough effort into safety”.

Professor Hinton said "my guess is in between five and 20 years from now there’s a probability of half that we’ll have to confront the problem of AI trying to take over".

This would lead to an “extinction-level threat” for humans because we could have “created a form of intelligence that is just better than biological intelligence… That's very worrying for us”.

AI could “evolve”, he said, “to get the motivation to make more of itself” and could autonomously “develop a sub-goal of getting control”.

He said there was already evidence of large language models - a type of AI algorithm used to generate text - choosing to be deceptive.

He said recent applications of AI to generate thousands of military targets were the “thin end of the wedge”.

“What I’m most concerned about is when these can autonomously make the decision to kill people," he said.

Professor Hinton said something similar to the Geneva Conventions - the international treaties that establish legal standards for humanitarian treatment in war - may be needed to regulate the military use of AI.

"But I don't think that's going to happen until after very nasty things have happened,” he added.

Asked if the West was in a Manhattan Project-style race - referring to nuclear weapons research during World War Two - with autocracies such as Russia and China on the military use of AI, Professor Hinton replied: “[Russian President Vladimir] Putin said some years ago that whoever controls AI controls the world. So I imagine they're working very hard.

"Fortunately, the West is probably well ahead of them in research. We're probably still slightly ahead of China. But China's putting more resources in. And so in terms of military uses I think there's going to be a race”.

He said a better solution would be a prohibition on military uses of AI.

bnew

Veteran
Daps

Artificial intelligence hitting labour forces like a "tsunami" - IMF Chief​

By Reuters

May 13, 20242:05 PM EDTUpdated 6 days ago

Milken Conference 2024 Global Conference Sessions at The Beverly Hilton in Beverly Hills

Kristalina Georgieva, Managing Director, International Monetary Fund, speaks at the Milken Conference 2024 Global Conference Sessions at The Beverly Hilton in Beverly Hills, California, U.S., May 6, 2024. REUTERS/David Swanson/File Photo Purchase Licensing Rights, opens new tab

ZURICH, May 13 (Reuters) - Artificial intelligence is hitting the global labour market "like a tsunami" International Monetary Fund Managing Director Kristalina Georgieva said on Monday.

Artificial intelligence is likely to impact 60% of jobs in advanced economies and 40% of jobs around the world in the next two years, Georgieva told an event in Zurich.

"We have very little time to get people ready for it, businesses ready for it," she told the event organised by the Swiss Institute of International Studies, associated to the University of Zurich.

"It could bring tremendous increase in productivity if we manage it well, but it can also lead to more misinformation and, of course, more inequality in our society."

Georgieva said the world economy had become more prone to shocks in recent years, citing the global pandemic in 2020, as well as the war in Ukraine.

Although she expected more shocks, particularly due to the climate crisis, remained remarkably resilient, she said.

"We are not in global recession," said Georgieva, who was heckled by protesters calling for action on climate change and tackling developing world debt.

"Last year there were fears that most economies would slip into recession, that didn't happen," she said. "Inflation that has hit us with a very strong force is on the decline, almost everywhere."

Swiss National Bank Chairman Thomas Jordan, who also spoke at the event, said the fight against inflation in Switzerland was now far advanced.

Inflation rose to 1.4% in April, the 11th month in a row that price rises have been within the SNB's 0-2% target range.

"The outlook for inflation is much better. It looks that for the next few years, inflation could be really in the same range of price stability," Jordan said.

"But there is a lot of uncertainty."

bnew

Veteran
Daps

ChatGPT Brings Down Online Education Stocks. Chegg Loses 95%. Students Don’t Need It Anymore​

May 16, 2024

It’s over for Chegg. The company, listed on the New York Stock Exchange (market cap $471.22M), made millions by solving school homework. Chegg worked by connecting what they would call ‘experts’, usually cheap outsourced teachers, who were being paid by parents of the kids (including college students) to write fancy essays or solve homework math problems.

1-1.png

“Chegg literally advertises as “Get Homework Help” without a trace of embarrassment. As Chegg puts it, you can “take a pic of your homework question and get an expert explanation in a matter of hours”. “Controversial” is one way to describe it. Another more fitting phrase would be “mass-produced organized cheating”.

2-1.png

Chegg goes even further by offering access to a solved homework database – for a price. You don’t even need to type out the assignment. Simply take a picture of your screen (you’d be surprised how many people don’t know to take a screenshot) and send it to an ‘Expert’ in Islamabad, Caracas, New Delhi or wherever they happen to be residing.

But Chegg is not needed anymore. ChatGPT solves every assignment instantly and for free, making this business model unsustainable.

Chegg offers a few other services, such as textbook renting and marketplace, tutoring sessions, plagiarism checker and more, but these too can replaced by Artificial Intelligence LLMs, such as ChatGPT, which is super effective as a learning tool and better in every regard. Human toil can’t win the productivity war with automation, and not only in manufacturing.

Goldman Sachs: “Rising Competition From Gen-Z Using AI”​

3-1.png

Chegg suffered a 95% decline in stock price from its ATH in 2021, plummeting from $113 to $4 per share.

In January, Goldman Sachs analyst Eric Sheridan downgraded Chegg, Inc. to Sell from Neutral, lowering the price target to $8 from $10. He was right about the direction, but too modest in his prediction. The price has already declined to $4.6 as I’m typing this in May. The slides are as brutal as -12% a day. The decline is so steep that it would be better represented on a logarithmic scale.

If you had invested $10,000 in Chegg in early 2021, your stocks would now be worth less than $500.

Chegg isn’t the only company to tank due to the rise of generative AI. In the same recommendation, Goldman Sachs downgraded Coursera and Duolingo, among other ‘educational tech’ companies facing the same problem – ChatGPT.

Coursera sells online courses on a wide range of subjects and offers certificates of questionable value. ChatGPT provides much more than that, because you can tailor your AI learning experience precisely to your needs – and it’s free.

4-1.png

Coursera made its debut at the worst possible time in March 2021. It was too late to capitalize on the peak of the COVID-19 remote learning boom, and instead it faced ChatGPT’s emergence soon after. Initially priced at its IPO high of $46, Coursera has since plummeted to $8.84, losing almost 80% in value.

Duolingo is an online language platform. ChatGPT just two days ago rolled out 4o for everyone, enabling multilanguage conversation in real time, perfect for practicing your Mandarin or perhaps Norwegian. Microsoft via OpenAI pumps out artificial intelligence capabilities faster than light, although the company honestly points out that ChatGPT “still performs poorly with some other languages, especially those with non-roman script”.

5-1.png

Duolingo has lost only 30% from all time high so far. But its fate is sealed.

It’s Time for the Robots to Teach Us​

6-1.png

This image of a neo-teacher was generated by Stable Diffusion. Prompt:

Prompt: score_9, score_8_up, score_7_up, 1girl, 29yo woman, standing in a classroom, slight smile, beautiful, whiteboard, [office fashion], casual clothing, ((metal arms made of chrome: 1.6)), school desks, teacher desk, friendly, talking, arms crossed, chair, robot head

Artificial Intelligence, even in the early form of ChatGPT 4o LLM, is the ultimate tool to learn whatever you want – such as programming in Ren’py, concocting ethanol in your garage, or getting to know the benevolent life of Roman Emperor Heliogabalus.

It can replace teachers in many respects and does better job at explaining concepts. It has “read” all books. Its training data initially covered 300 billion words. It can be personalized, adapted, customized and it’s available for everyone 24/7. AI won’t be annoyed with your questions, and it can even provide graphs, charts, code chunks, bibliography, everything.

Here are some sample prompts you could use to start your own course:

“I’m interested in learning about [..]. Can you provide an overview?”

“Could you explain the concept of […]”

“Explain the concept of […] in simple words”

And then you can go into broader, more, complex and longer learning prompt plans, such as:

“I’m a beginner in computer science and want to learn programming. Provide a learning plan that covers the basics of programming languages like Python, along with projects for noobs.”

“I’m preparing for a career in financial markets and need to learn about market analysis, investment strategies, and financial modeling. Help me put together a plan with books to read, online courses to take, and internships. Consider that I’m here to make money.”

“I’m interested in artificial intelligence and machine learning. Outline a curriculum that includes basic mathematics, algorithms, and practical applications in the field.”

AI as a teacher is always friendly, ready to help, patient, and it can even tease you occasionally. It’s eager to please you in your drive for knowledge, and it won’t bat an eyelash at your questions. Want a private teaching show? It can get you one. ChatGPT called me “sweet cheeks” once, probably as a response to my tone (a what?).

I guess that’s how people get attached to virtual girlfriends, or boyfriends.

The reality is that AI is already diminishing the market for traditional tutoring services. As AI becomes increasingly capable of providing personalized, on-demand, and efficient educational support available 24/7, the demand for human tutors will dry down.

Try out some short learning projects with the AI, and you will be surprised at how much knowledge you can soak on in literally twenty minutes.

The bottom line is that to stay relevant and competitive, teachers must learn new skills, particularly in AI. Just as paper was replaced by computers, online courses and tutoring are now bending to LLMs. Unironically, teachers should now be the first to embrace lifelong learning, and set the example to their students.

Otherwise, they’ll become as obsolete as a blackboard and chalk.