3/4 Haye v Bellew Full Press Conference/fight thread - Liverpool

H.I.M.

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
^^^Haye hasn't beat a semi-"world class" Heavy since before Obama's 2nd term :skip:

I been saying for the past year that Haymon should've been persuing this fight for Wilder...that was easy money :smh:

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
Bellew Reveals That He Broke Right Hand in Third Round

Tony Bellew has revealed he broke his hand in the early stages of his heavyweight victory over David Haye.

It was clear that Haye was struggling physically before his trainer Shane McGuigan threw in the towel in the 11th round at London's O2 Arena, with the 36-year-old suffering a suspected Achilles injury at the halfway point of the bout.

But Bellew told BBC Radio Five Live's Sportsweek programme he was also battling an injury.

bellew-haye-fight%20(40).jpg

He said: "I'm just happy David's home and healthy and safe. We did receive injuries. I broke my right hand in the second or third round. It's very sore now.

"I had a bad right knee myself going in but this is not what people want to hear. This is why I asked David from the very start, 'are you okay?' And believe me for four rounds he was fine."

Bellew said he had put the injury out of his mind during the fight, adding: "I don't feel the pain, all I think about is winning."

The build-up to the fight was dominated by trash-talking between the pair but they were respectful of each other afterwards and a rematch could even be on the cards.

Bellew condemned Haye's threats in the build-up, saying: "I know there's been a lot of bad blood and I think some of the things he said were disgusting and distasteful but it was purely one way.

"I didn't want to hurt David. I would never say I wanted to hurt someone. My 11-year-old son had to listen to someone tell people he was going to decapitate me."

Liverpudlian Bellew must now decide whether to defend his WBC cruiserweight title or remain at heavyweight, where he could seek to become a two-weight world champion.