A Black Masculinist Review of ‘Hidden Figures’ by Dr. T. Hasan Johnson

AlainLocke

Banned
Daps
You can read the full review here...

A Black Masculinist Review of ‘Hidden Figures’ by Dr. T. Hasan Johnson

Still, it is little more than a celebration of Black women’s middle-class sensibilities. It is:

1. a somewhat narcissistic affirmation of contemporary Black female middle-class identity, particularly in regard to notions of independence and a stoic capacity to endure White men, women, and Black men’s dehumanizing behavior (only other Black women are represented as being unproblematic),

2. a class-based re-prioritization of which Black historical periods deserve attention and thus gain acceptability,

3. a statement to Black men as to acceptable forms of Black female support and adoration (via deferment and subservience to Black women’s advancement),

4. a statement to White society about appreciating Black women’s genius (i.e. scenes regarding Johnson’s capacity to “create new math” while other, more highly educated whites stand in awe while imposing racist behavioral tropes), and

5. a reflection on the intersectionality-based notion that Black women are uniquely isolated as victims of oppression, subject to their men just as much as White society in regard to oppression.

As a colleague pointed out to me, “there’s a way where White men have the the power to impact destiny in spaces such as NASA, far removed from Black men’s “control,” yet strangely Black men are seen as being just as impactful.” This difference is at the heart of many Black masculinists’ concerns regarding Black feminism.

Jimi Swagger

I say whatever I think should be said
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Turtle Island to DXB
Jeez people will piss about anything. I haven't seen the movie but my peers (of all colors/genders - including masculine brehs) have nothing but positive things to say. Did they make the husbands look like Ike Turner or something? I can imagine husbands being misogynistic and controlling during the 1960s. Think of a young Joe Jackson and Jim Brown as husbands/fathers in that era which wasn't that long ago. :usure:

Logmanjames

All Star
Daps
Idk, pretty decent movie in my eyes. The only problems that the men caused were at the beginning, in the end they all came good. I suppose that was appealing to the feminist aspect of the movie, went to show that the women were undeterred by even their own family. :ehh:

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
I was waiting for the Ankh Right's reply. Needed this ignorance and foolishness. :blessed:

• Dap
Reactions: Dip