A lot of Hard Work, Patience For Golovkin To Land Canelo

GzUp

Sleep, those slices of death; Oh how I loathe them
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
California
It took five long years, from the moment he made his televised debut on HBO, but Gennady Golovkin (37-0, 33 KOs) has finally secured a major pay-per-view fight in Las Vegas.

After nearly two years of hype, Golovkin will defend his IBF, IBO, WBA, WBC middleweight titles against Mexican superstar Saul "Canelo" Alvarez (49-1-1, 34 KOs) on September 16th at T-Mobile Arena, and on HBO Pay-Per-View.

Their showdown is arguably the biggest fight in the sport.

canelo-golovkin%20(2).jpg

After Golovkin made his HBO debut in September 2012, his promoter, Tom Loeffler of K2 Promotions, went through hell to secure opponents for his boxer.

“He’s come a tremendous way,” Loeffler said to the Las Vegas Review Journal. “A lot of hard work and patience and a lot of knockouts along the way. I was thinking back on it, it will be five years almost exactly since his debut on HBO. I was literally begging HBO and Showtime just to give him a slot on one of their shows just for the publicity, and now he’s involved in the biggest fight in the sport.”

“We were offering the biggest paydays of their careers, and no one wanted to get in the ring with (Golovkin),” Loeffler said. “It was a challenge. I’ve never seen such a resistance for somebody who has multiple world titles. I’ve never experienced that, and I’ve been involved over 25 years in boxing. It’s always been the top fighters want to fight the other champions or at least see who is the best.”

Golovkin was the mandatory challenger to Canelo in early 2016.

At the time Canelo was the WBC middleweight champion. After the WBC applied pressure on him fight Golovkin, the Mexican star vacated the WBC belt and dropped down to junior middleweight to capture the WBO belt. The WBC made Golovkin their champion by default.

At the time, Canelo's promoter, Oscar De La Hoya of Golden Boy Promotions, promised everyone that his boxer would face Golovkin in September 2017 - which created a lot of doubt on whether or not the contest would happen.

“I think for this caliber of fight, we’ve seen other fights that have taken much longer to put together,” Loeffler said. “From Gennady’s standpoint, he wanted the fight last year, but we have to give Canelo, Oscar and Golden Boy credit. They told us last year the fight would happen September of 2017, and they stuck to their word on it.”

“We didn’t want to go to Las Vegas until we had the right type of fight that would justify being on the big stage of Las Vegas. It just worked out that his first Las Vegas fight is the biggest fight in boxing.”

- See more at: Loeffler: A lot of Hard Work, Patience For Golovkin To Land Canelo - Boxing News

Triple G out here giving his opps big purses in order for them to fight him.

@Newzz we finally got canelo to stop starving himself to make 155.

Last edited:

Newzz

"The Truth" always prevails
Supporter
Daps
It took five long years, from the moment he made his televised debut on HBO, but Gennady Golovkin (37-0, 33 KOs) has finally secured a major pay-per-view fight in Las Vegas.

After nearly two years of hype, Golovkin will defend his IBF, IBO, WBA, WBC middleweight titles against Mexican superstar Saul "Canelo" Alvarez (49-1-1, 34 KOs) on September 16th at T-Mobile Arena, and on HBO Pay-Per-View.

Their showdown is arguably the biggest fight in the sport.

canelo-golovkin%20(2).jpg

After Golovkin made his HBO debut in September 2012, his promoter, Tom Loeffler of K2 Promotions, went through hell to secure opponents for his boxer.

“He’s come a tremendous way,” Loeffler said to the Las Vegas Review Journal. “A lot of hard work and patience and a lot of knockouts along the way. I was thinking back on it, it will be five years almost exactly since his debut on HBO. I was literally begging HBO and Showtime just to give him a slot on one of their shows just for the publicity, and now he’s involved in the biggest fight in the sport.”

“We were offering the biggest paydays of their careers, and no one wanted to get in the ring with (Golovkin),” Loeffler said. “It was a challenge. I’ve never seen such a resistance for somebody who has multiple world titles. I’ve never experienced that, and I’ve been involved over 25 years in boxing. It’s always been the top fighters want to fight the other champions or at least see who is the best.”

Golovkin was the mandatory challenger to Canelo in early 2016.

At the time Canelo was the WBC middleweight champion. After the WBC applied pressure on him fight Golovkin, the Mexican star vacated the WBC belt and dropped down to junior middleweight to capture the WBO belt. The WBC made Golovkin their champion by default.

At the time, Canelo's promoter, Oscar De La Hoya of Golden Boy Promotions, promised everyone that his boxer would face Golovkin in September 2017 - which created a lot of doubt on whether or not the contest would happen.

“I think for this caliber of fight, we’ve seen other fights that have taken much longer to put together,” Loeffler said. “From Gennady’s standpoint, he wanted the fight last year, but we have to give Canelo, Oscar and Golden Boy credit. They told us last year the fight would happen September of 2017, and they stuck to their word on it.”

“We didn’t want to go to Las Vegas until we had the right type of fight that would justify being on the big stage of Las Vegas. It just worked out that his first Las Vegas fight is the biggest fight in boxing.”

- See more at: Loeffler: A lot of Hard Work, Patience For Golovkin To Land Canelo - Boxing News

Triple G out here giving his opps big purses in order for them to fight him.

@Newzz we finally got canelo to stop starving himself to make 155.
Canelo should have his best stamina at 160:obama:

((ReFleXioN)) EteRNaL

RIP MR. SMOKE
Daps
Okay ? Should we give him a badge for looking for a career payday ?
Little g dikk riders actin like he blessed Canelo with this opportunity:mjlol:......like dude wasnt begging Canelo for this payday like a groupie bytch:CaneLMAO:......talking about they couldn't get anybody to fight em when ward agreed to 164 and a 50/50 split and they ran away like some ho's. Like canelo didnt say bring that ass to 154 and they were like :whoa:.....fukk outta here with this dumb shyt. They had opportunities for big fights they just never wanted to sacrifice to make em. EVERYTHING had to be in their favor. But it's all good. Canelo came up to the division he's been dominating for years and will expose him in his first fight there. It's gonna be beautiful:banderas::CaneloRejoice:

#CaneloCartel:CaneLOL:

Daps
Crazy how much GGG wanted to fight Canelo and Canelo kept getting held back by people around him, and GGG has the titles!! you would think Canelo would be the one knocking. I hope GGG takes Canelo's head clean off.

L68

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Crazy how much GGG wanted to fight Canelo and Canelo kept getting held back by people around him, and GGG has the titles!! you would think Canelo would be the one knocking. I hope GGG takes Canelo's head clean off.

Thats crazy how they were in different weight classes the past 4 years huh

GzUp

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
California
Thats crazy how they were in different weight classes the past 4 years huh
Lol he was fighting at 155(which technically is middleweight), he was starving himself to make 155 too(his trainer admitted to it). He couldn't make 154 and was too scared of 160 cuz triple g was there.

L68

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I guess defending the wbo Junior middleweight 154 belt last year against Liam smith didn't happen then.. I must have dreamed it.. My bad

GzUp

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
California
I guess defending the wbo Junior middleweight 154 belt last year against Liam smith didn't happen then.. I must have dreamed it.. My bad
Fight once at 154 in 4 years and call yourself a junior middleweight :mjlol:

krackdagawd

Inspire.
Daps
Reppin
Another Gold Medal
Little g dikk riders actin like he blessed Canelo with this opportunity:mjlol:......like dude wasnt begging Canelo for this payday like a groupie bytch:CaneLMAO:......talking about they couldn't get anybody to fight em when ward agreed to 164 and a 50/50 split and they ran away like some ho's. Like canelo didnt say bring that ass to 154 and they were like :whoa:.....fukk outta here with this dumb shyt. They had opportunities for big fights they just never wanted to sacrifice to make em. EVERYTHING had to be in their favor. But it's all good. Canelo came up to the division he's been dominating for years and will expose him in his first fight there. It's gonna be beautiful:banderas::CaneloRejoice:

#CaneloCartel:CaneLOL:

Right, media back on they bullshyt and the thread titles needs to add "jobbers" to it.