A Majority of States Now Have Right-to-Work Laws

88m3

Fast Money & Foreign Objects
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
A Majority of States Now Have Right-to-Work Laws
West Virginia overrode the governor's veto to become the 26th state to undercut union participation.
—By Delphine d'Amora

| Fri Feb. 12, 2016 2:41 PM EST
right_to_work_law_sized.jpg
Protesters march in Madison, Wisconsin, against a "right-to-work" proposal last year. Twenty-six states have now passed right-to-work laws. Steve Apps, Wisconsin State Journal/AP
West Virginia, once a bastion of organized labor, will soon join the ranks of the right-to-work states that have undercut union participation. The Republican-dominated state legislature on Friday overrode Democratic Gov. Earl Ray Tomblin’s veto of a right-to-work bill, becoming the 26th state in the nation to pass such legislation.

Right-to-work laws bar unions from negotiating contracts that require all workers represented by a union to pay dues—in effect guaranteeing workers the union’s protections and representation regardless of whether they contribute. The laws are broadly understood to weaken unions.

The bill faced fierce opposition from unions, who organized protests at the state capitol and launched TV and radio ad campaigns to fight the legislation. But it alsohad money behind it, courtesy of Americans for Prosperity, the conservative advocacy group backed by the Koch brothers that has lobbied for right-to-work laws across the nation. One of the West Virginia bill’s key proponents, Republican gubernatorial candidate and state Senate president Bill Cole, touted his efforts to pass the right-to-work bill at a Palm Springs retreat organized by the Kochs earlier this year.

According to the US Census Bureau, West Virginia had a higher poverty rate than all but 10 states between 2011 and 2013. Many communities have been hit hard by the loss of thousands of mining jobs in recent years. Republican lawmakers claimed that loosening labor laws was necessary to attract businesses to the state. Democrats have argued that it will ultimately hurt workers, and that the bill was aimed primarily at diminishing unions’ political clout.

The right-to-work law will go into effect on July 1.

Today was not a good day for unions

disgusting

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY
:mindblown: I'm lost will someone simplify things for me. the unions are protesting these laws because they're "anti-union" correct?!!?

hashmander

Hale End
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Arsenal
come on what. you don't get the kind of majority the republicans have in west virginia on some voter theft shyt. they got sweet nothings whispered into their ears about solidarity in their hatred for obama and it was "here is my vote." even the dems in that state have to show sufficient dislike for the national party and its leader.

Scoop

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Tampa, FL
I like it.

You shouldn't have to pay in to an organization that then makes political contributions for politicians you may not like.

Want stronger unions? Move to a state that isn't RTW.

Scoop

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Tampa, FL
:mindblown: I'm lost will someone simplify things for me. the unions are protesting these laws because they're "anti-union" correct?!!?

In states that don't have these laws money is taken straight out of your paycheck to go to the union for your industry. These laws make union contributions completely voluntary, so unions get less money.

They're not anti-union so much as they're not pro-union.