A Toxic, Closed-Off City on the Edge of the World

88m3

Fast Money & Foreign Objects
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Some videos paint it one way others paint it another way is what I'm saying. You could make any place look like hell on earth or make it look like a regular town. Either way, it doesn't matter if you look at the statistical pollution of the town itself. Which in itself shows the philosophy of the nation and why it won't be able to sustain in the future.

Nov 08, 2017 | 593 videos
Video by Victoria Fiore

Every day for two years, filmmaker Victoria Fiore tried to gain access to a toxic, closed city in Siberia with no ground transportation connections to the rest of the world. Located nearly 250 miles north of the polar circle, Norilsk is home to 177,000 people, many of whom are employed by the world’s largest mining and metallurgy complex, Norilsk Nickel. It spews more than two million tons of gas into the atmosphere per year. As a result, life expectancy in Norilsk is ten years shorter than Russia’s average (and twenty years shorter than that of the U.S.).

After a dozen failed attempts at a visa and multiple trips to Moscow to meet with mining representatives—who were, in turn, holding meetings with the FSB, the successor to the KGB—Fiore was finally granted entry into the industrial wasteland. She was stunned to find that the residents of Norilsk were proud to call it home. Her short documentary, My Deadly Beautiful City, captures what Fiore describes as “the hypnotic mysticism of a city on edge of the world.”

“It is really impossible to emphasize just how otherworldly this place was,” Fiore told The Atlantic. Despite its well-documented health concerns, including rates of cancer two times higher than the rest of Russia, “most people, including the city's nuns and head doctors, claim that those from Norilsk have better health,” Fiore said. “And this is without mentioning that all nature in a radius almost the size of Germany is dead from severe air pollution. I already knew that the people of Norilsk loved their hometown, but I didn't expect them to so openly contradict medical findings.”

Making the film caused Fiore to become concerned about the long-term effects of alternative facts. “If we are fed a narrative for long enough,” she said, “it becomes true.”

For more haunting images of life in Norilsk, Fiore recommends Russian photographer Elena Chernyshova’s World Press Photo Award-winning series. This film was originally produced for the New York Times Op-Docs.

StatUS

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Everywhere
Video by Victoria Fiore

Every day for two years, filmmaker Victoria Fiore tried to gain access to a toxic, closed city in Siberia with no ground transportation connections to the rest of the world. Located nearly 250 miles north of the polar circle, Norilsk is home to 177,000 people, many of whom are employed by the world’s largest mining and metallurgy complex, Norilsk Nickel. It spews more than two million tons of gas into the atmosphere per year. As a result, life expectancy in Norilsk is ten years shorter than Russia’s average (and twenty years shorter than that of the U.S.).

After a dozen failed attempts at a visa and multiple trips to Moscow to meet with mining representatives—who were, in turn, holding meetings with the FSB, the successor to the KGB—Fiore was finally granted entry into the industrial wasteland. She was stunned to find that the residents of Norilsk were proud to call it home. Her short documentary, My Deadly Beautiful City, captures what Fiore describes as “the hypnotic mysticism of a city on edge of the world.”

“It is really impossible to emphasize just how otherworldly this place was,” Fiore told The Atlantic. Despite its well-documented health concerns, including rates of cancer two times higher than the rest of Russia, “most people, including the city's nuns and head doctors, claim that those from Norilsk have better health,” Fiore said. “And this is without mentioning that all nature in a radius almost the size of Germany is dead from severe air pollution. I already knew that the people of Norilsk loved their hometown, but I didn't expect them to so openly contradict medical findings.”

Making the film caused Fiore to become concerned about the long-term effects of alternative facts. “If we are fed a narrative for long enough,” she said, “it becomes true.”

For more haunting images of life in Norilsk, Fiore recommends Russian photographer Elena Chernyshova’s World Press Photo Award-winning series. This film was originally produced for the New York Times Op-Docs.
I read the article, which is a better indication of the issue than the video itself. Here you have a town built on slave labor, nearly collapsed with end of the USSR, and revived for mining metals. It's a look into what alot of people considered the most flagrant country next to China in terms of pollution in Russia.

newworldafro

DeeperThanRapBiggerThanHH
Daps
Reppin
In the Silver Lining
:skip: @ that doctor saying all that shyt in the air has no effect on humans besides a little cough.

I feel bad for every kid living there. :mjcry:

If you think that's the only medical doctor "informing" that a practice doesn't have an impact on someone's health, especially kids...I have a Mountain in Gibraltar I would like to sell you.

Video by Victoria Fiore

Stockholm Syndrome is a motherfuucker, when having the dilemma of making lots if money or your protecting health.

For example, earthquakes and Oklahoma were never mentioned in the same sentence until about 10 years ago......everybody and their momma knew earthquakes were not associated with their state, yet about 2-3 years ago Oklahoma had more tremors than California. So all that time while houses and businesses were cracking in the state, the citizens, government, and business community put their head in the sand with Beats by Dre earphones on and volume turned up really loud playing country music I suppose, when environmentalists explained to them the cause of earthquakes that were reaching even DFW. Could Scott Pruitt Have Fixed Oklahoma's Earthquake Epidemic?

Last edited:
Daps
Considering the fact that cacs live in nothing but the cold, you would think they would take care of their frostbite homes...

I guess not.