#AboutBillions & #TheBunnyTeam presents "Easter in February": Robert Easter Jr vs Luis Cruz

Discussion in 'The Ring' started by Newzz, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Newzz

Newzz BOOOMMMBBBZZZQQQUUUAAADD!!! Supporter

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    #TheSweetScience
    Coli Cash:
    $2198746506.00

[​IMG]

Robert Easter vs. Luis Cruz Headlines PBC on Bounce, Feb. 10

By Jake Donovan

Robert Easter Jr and Rau'Shee Warren were already in preparation for the first defense of their respective titles. The gym stablemates now have opponents to go along with such training plans.

Headlining the February 10 PBC on Bounce TV, Easter Jr. enjoys a homecoming for his first title defense as he faces Puerto Rico's Luis Cruz. The bout tops what will likely wind up as a triple header live from the Huntington Center in Toledo, Ohio.

In the televised co-feature, Warren - the only U.S. boxer to compete in three different Olympics games (2004, 2008, 2012) - will square off versus mandatory challenger Zhanat Zhakiyanov, a streaking contender from Kazakhstan whom fights under Ricky Hatton's promotional banner.

"Being able to headline a big fight in my hometown after winning a championship is a dream come true," said Easter. "My first dream was to win the world title and now I get to defend it in front of my people. I had great fan support at my last fight in Pennsylvania and I know everybody is even more excited to see me at home. A lot of people felt involved in helping me win that world title, and now we get to have a homecoming celebration. This is going to be big for the city. I can't wait to showcase my skills."

[​IMG]

"This is a great opportunity for me and I'm planning on putting on my best performance," said Cruz. "I am going to fight for my home of Puerto Rico and become another world champion from the island. I know that Easter is a good fighter and he will have the fan support, but I am already training harder than I ever have. This is going to be an exciting fight, but I don't expect it to go the distance."

"I'm ready to get back in the ring," said Warren. "I'm happy the fight is three days before my birthday because defending my title for the first time and winning will be the best birthday present. We've been checking out Zhakiyanov. I think it's going to be a good show because he definitely isn't a slouch. I'm just going to enjoy being a champion, defending my title and showing what I'm capable of."

"I'm very happy to be fighting in the U.S. with a chance to become a world champion," said Zhakiyanov. "I want to thank Warren for taking this fight, but it will be a big mistake. I'm coming to win and win impressively. This is going to be my statement that I am one of the best fighters in this division."

One bout that is in advanced talks and potentially the third leg of a tripleheader - should three fights air on the telecast - is an intriguing crossroads clash between Easter's stablemate Jamel Herring and former 130 lb. titlist Artemis Mendez. The matchup is pending official approval from Mendez - who suffered a knockout loss to Easter Jr. in their title eliminator last April - but has received the all clear from the other side.

The appearance will be the first for Herring (15-1, 8KOs) since suffering a stoppage loss to Denis Shafikov this past July. Fittingly, Shafikov is now the mandatory challenger for the lightweight title after scoring a 12-round decision win earlier this month over Richard Commey, whom Easter Jr. (18-0, 14KOs) bested to win the belt in September.

Meanwhile, Herring - a highly decorated Iraqi war veteran with the U.S. Marines and team captain of the 2012 U.S. Olympic boxing squad that competed in London - looks to bounce back strong and challenge for a title of his own in 2017.

It was a big year for his teammates Easter Jr. and Warren (14-1, 4KOs), the latter a Cincinnati native whom claimed a bantamweight crown with a 12-round decision over Juan Carlos Payano in their NBC-televised rematch this past June. Their first hour headlined the inaugural installment of PBC on Bounce, an event that set network viewership records.

The diminutive boxer now returns to the network - and to his home state - for his first title defense.

- See more at: Robert Easter vs. Luis Cruz Headlines PBC on Bounce, Feb. 10 - Boxing News

#AboutBillions
    #TheBunnyTeam

2. patscorpio

patscorpio Black Man o' Steel Staff Member Supporter

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang
    Coli Cash:
    $64078.20

this is the type of fight that belongs on a different channel but pbc on bounce is there for newer fighters to break in..its a conundrum

malbaker86, hyperman25 and Newzz dapped this.
  3. Newzz

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    #TheSweetScience
    Coli Cash:
    $2198746506.00

I don't mind it. Easter and Rau'Shee are both building their fanbase and not taking on the most legit of opps....so Bounce TV is cool.

I would've preferred Spike TV, but it seems they are going to use Spike TV as more of a platform for more known PBC fighters vs lesser opps, or fights between good matchups of lesser known fighters, and neither Easter or Warren's fight fit (both are still building their fanbase & neither are legit good matchups):manny:

#SOG_soldier, hyperman25 and patscorpio dapped this.
  4. Newzz

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    #TheSweetScience
    Coli Cash:
    $2198746506.00

:banderas:

5. malbaker86

malbaker86 Gators

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    Jacksonville, FL
    Coli Cash:
    $325674.50

:ehh:

6. Newzz

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    #TheSweetScience
    Coli Cash:
    $2198746506.00

#TheBunnyTeam

7. Newzz

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    #TheSweetScience
    Coli Cash:
    $2198746506.00

#AboutBillions

8. Newzz

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    #TheSweetScience
    Coli Cash:
    $2198746506.00

RAU'SHEE WARREN DISCUSSES TITLE DEFENSE AGAINST ZHANAT ZHAKIYANOV: "I'M READY TO FIGHT...I WANT MORE TITLES"
    By Percy Crawford | February 02, 2017

[​IMG]

PC: How are you doing, Newt?

RW: I'm doing good, man. I'm ready to fight. I've been ready to fight since mid-January.

PC: How was camp for this first title defense against Zhanat Zhakiyanov?

RW: Ah man, camp going well, man. I couldn't ask for a better camp as far as coaches and sparring. The whole atmosphere, just getting that good energy going. Camp has been going well since I've been here.

PC: How are you keeping the anxiety down? I know you're ready to get in there. What do you do from now until fight time?

RW: I'm just sharpening up more on my craft and my skills and watching my opponent a little bit more and seeing what he relies on most. I'm working on a lot of things with Coach Barry and Boog. There are things that I see other fighters doing that he don't really be liking, so with my experience and my ability, I should make the fight easy. I'm not going to look down on a fighter like him because he is a straight-forward fighter and he's looking for the knockout, so I gotta be aware at all times. I don't care if it's from the 1st round all the way to the 12th round. I gotta be ready at all times with this guy. It's a lot of things that I'm doing in the gym to make it easier on me and I feel like I'm going to come out on top. Like I said, I'm in there with good sparring partners that are strong. I got a little black eye right now from my sparring partner. They even trying to knock me out. This training camp was so hard, I'm ready for it to be over so that I can make the fight easy, you feel me?

PC: Without a doubt. And you're coming off of back-to-back fights with Juan Carlos Payano. I'm sure it's a good feeling for you to be preparing for anyone not named Juan Carlos Payano?

RW: Yeah! I feel like by me having a title now, Coach Barry turned the training up a little bit more. It's a little bit harder than me trying to get the title and trying to win it from somebody else. Now that I'm defending it...it's going to be hard for somebody trying to take my title from me. I'm used to being #1 in the amateurs and going to the Olympics 3 times. It's way different now because one punch can change the fight. So I'm always aware and staying focused in the ring and listening to my corner. Once you have a good game plan and you and your corner on board together, shouldn't nothing go wrong.

PC: We see fighters fall in love with the natural gifts and talents and they get away from the fundamentals of the game. You are one of the most naturally gifted fighters I have seen in a long time, but you don't stray away from the fundamentals. How important is that?

RW: I feel like I still got more to do as a professional. I have 15 fights and a world title and there are a lot of fighters that it took them 25 fights to get a title. I happen to be one of the guys to get a title early into my career and I feel like I got more to do down the road. I want more titles that's out there. That's why I'm not turning down mandatory fights. I'm not giving up my title or vacating because I don't wanna fight this guy or that guy. I'm from the era where to be the best, you gotta fight the best. All of these people getting these titles and running with them and turning down certain fights and mandatories and stuff like that, come on, man. I'm not with that era. I believe in back in the day where one fighter got one title and went after all of the titles in the weight class and that's what I want to do. Once I get this mandatory out of the way, we gonna see who else want to get it on. I want to do title versus title. I want to do that. After I win your title, I want to find somebody else with a title. I want to do that. I want to fight other titleholders in my weight class, like the guy from Japan [Shinsuke Yamanaka] who got the WBC title. No telling when I'm going to meet him unless I go over there or we can work something out to make something happen. I'm from the era where I'm trying to get all of the titles. Right now, I gotta handle this mandatory on February 10th so I can go after everybody else.

PC: A lot of guys in the lower weight classes have the mentality of being on the fast track. You haven't had an easy run at all with the competition you've been in with. I'm sure those 3 Olympic Team experiences have to help you from a standpoint of competition or the moment not being too much for you.

RW: Yes, it definitely prepared me going to the Olympics 3 times. Also fighting in the World Series of Boxing in 2010, being an amateur fighting in a pro league. That definitely helped me a lot. When I was in the World Series of Boxing, we were fighting top dogs. We weren't fighting no bums. We were fighting 5 rounds, 8 oz gloves, no headgear, and under the pro rules. Everyone always came in and tried to beat me and they brought their best guy to try and beat me and I went 8-0 in that tournament. I felt like they was a big help for me to go professional. I got the feel of being a professional while still being an amateur. So when I was done in that league, I was ready to go pro, but I wanted to go back to the Olympics. So I had to put my mind back into the Olympics and actually prepare to do the touching and running stuff that they have going on. I was kind of ready to go pro, but I had to get the Olympic stuff out of the way. After that and I lost, I was ready to go pro and start my journey as a professional.

PC: I feel like one of the advantages that a guy like Zhanat could have heading into this fight is most of your pro fights were televised, so the footage is out there. On the flip side of that, there's not a lot out there on him. Have you been able to find footage of him?

RW: Yeah, I watched 30 seconds of him. I've been around the world and I done been in the ring with Rigondeaux; we fought in the amateurs. He beat me by like 3 points. I've been in the ring with a few people from Kazakhstan. When we used to do USA versus Kazakhstan, I never saw him on the national team or nothing like that, but I'm not going to overlook him, like I say. But I'm used to seeing people around the world who I have competed against. It only took me 30 seconds to watch him and that's what it was. I went from there and I just know what I gotta do. I gotta hit that angle and just keep turning him around because he's a robot and everything he does is to try and land that big shot. He don't work like Payano; all in my face, throwing a lot of punches and chasing me down. He just wanna walk me down and try to catch me slipping. I just gotta be ready at all times.

PC: You grew up in the ring as a professional in those two fights against Payano. What did you take away from those two fights that you feel you can implement in this fight if it goes into those deep waters?

RW: Not being more patient, but definitely using more of my jab. I got an effective jab. The first Payano fight, it was a just a straight brawl, just banging it out. I thought I won the fight, but I'm glad I got the rematch because I started boxing more and using my jab. And in this camp, that's what I've been working on is my jab because I got a nice jab. I'm changing the speed up, switching up my speed, and when I'm ready to drop the bomb, I can. I'm getting stronger. A lot of people don't think that I'm strong because I got 4 knockouts, but every opponent they put in front of me was either blocking the whole time because they didn't want to open up because of how fast I was or they didn't want to take that risk in the ring and try to trade with me. But probably half of the opponents that I have been in the ring with, I dropped; I just couldn't finish them. They felt the power; I just couldn't finish them. It's like they thought Payano was stronger than me and I took his best shot and I was trying to get him out of there. So from them two fights with Payano, I learned that my jab is everything and I got the speed to switch it up effectively.

PC: I appreciate the time. Best of luck on the 10th and I look forward to speaking with you more often. Is there anything else you want to add before I let you go?

RW: Be ready...and still...that's what you're going to hear after the fight; and still!

9. patscorpio

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang
    Coli Cash:
    $64078.20

almost time for me to sticky this :myman:

Newzz dapped this.
  10. Newzz

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    #TheSweetScience
    Coli Cash:
    $2198746506.00

[VIDEO] ADRIEN BRONER EXCITED ABOUT FIRST PROMOTIONAL CARD: "TIME TO GO GET THIS PROMOTER MONEY" || FIGHTHYPE.COM

"It's big, not only for the promotions, but for me...my first show, big show, world championship show at 27...that's huge...and I'm not even fighting...now it's time to go get this promoter money...this is just another avenue of bringing in money," stated promoter and multi-division former world champion Adrien Broner, who talked about the first upcoming card of his About Billions Promotions. Check it out!

11. HeruDat

HeruDat #NoExcuses #MissionAccomplished

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    New Orleans / SoCal
    Coli Cash:
    $110.62

Definitely going with the champs I remember how hype that Toledo crowd was for Easter-Commey, I expect Easter-Warren to have good performances.

Newzz dapped this.
  12. Newzz

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    #TheSweetScience
    Coli Cash:
    $2198746506.00

13. patscorpio

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang
    Coli Cash:
    $64078.20

i really hope one day Bounce supplies an HD feed to their channel

Newzz dapped this.
  14. Newzz

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    #TheSweetScience
    Coli Cash:
    $2198746506.00

I was just thinking this too:snoop:

15. Newzz

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    #TheSweetScience
    Coli Cash:
    $2198746506.00

Rau'shee Warren Wants to Show More Power Against Zhakiyanov
    by David P. Greisman

Pretty much every fighter says they want to impress with their performances. That’s no different for Rau’shee Warren, who wants to stand out in the first defense of his bantamweight world title by showing even more of what he can do.

“I feel like this fight has got to be real impressive. I got to do something different,” Warren told BoxingScene.com “Everybody’s used to the speed, they’re used to me outclassing fighters. This fight, they’re going to see not just speed, but more power, more of my abilities in the ring as a fighter.”

Warren is 14-1 with 4 KOs. He came up just short in his first shot at a title at 118, dropping a split decision to Juan Carlos Payano in August 2015. But in their rematch 10 months later, it was Warren who came out on top via narrow majority decision.

“Some people saw my power when I knocked Payano down in the first fight,” Warren said. “They could clearly see that I could take a shot.”

The low knockout ratio, he said, is a product of fighters who were coming to survive, but also from his own deficiencies that have since been corrected.

“Once I turned professional, it was kind of really hard to get fighters to fight a three-time Olympian,” Warren said. “Once they did find fighters for me, they’d get in the ring and I couldn’t really knock him out. They’d cover up because they were scared of my speed. Most every fighter I’ve been in the ring with, I’ve knocked them down but didn’t finish. That was my problem. I get overwhelmed sometimes. I get in a dog mode and just go for the kill and not just set it up. This fight is about being more patient, picking my shots.”

His opponent, Zhanat Zhakiyanov, is 26-1 with 18 KOs and has won 21 straight since a loss early in his career. That’s pretty much all Warren knows about him.

“I didn’t even look him up. My coach, Barry Hunter, sent me a link. I looked at the fight for about 30 seconds,” Warren said. “Coach Barry I trust his word, his eyes, his knowledge. I don’t really got to know about him. I see that he relies on the right hand a lot and try to sit down n the punches. With my abilities, it’s going to be hard to try to catch me. Basically I got to stay out of the line of his fire.” - See more at: Rau'shee Warren Wants to Show More Power Against Zhakiyanov - Boxing News

Rau'Shee going for the KO:obama: