Ian1362

david ruffin in the flesh
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NY
99.9 FM ALBANY NY

Have You Heard The Pirate Radio Station In Albany Yet? | X-Jock

Five months ago, a co-worker asked me if I had heard the new Hip Hop station on the radio, that was playing “old school” and if it was a new station. I told him I haven’t heard anything about it. So that on the way home I tuned in and realized, there’s a pirate radio station in Albany.

I listened in and got the call letters they were using and did a search for licensed radio station in Albany with those call letters, and found nothing. I checked a few other radio related sites and found nothing on it. I did some looking on Facebook and found a Facebook page for them, then even managed to get a messenger conversation with someone from the station and asked a few questions about them.

They are running a Chinese made transmitter at about 99 watts output and say they get a signal out as far as 20 miles from Albany. Unlicnesed FM is only legal a few dozen feet on FM, so these guys are pumping out the power. They are streaming the signal to the transmitter from an undisclosed location, which I didn’t ask where it was located because, it’s undisclosed!

The person on the other end of the chat said they have been doing this kind of stuff for 23 years in Philadelphia. And by the clean nature of the signal on the radio, I would say the person running it did their homework. They are also streaming online and as I checked back in on them today, I see they changed their cal letters to WHDB from WTRU, since there is a station down south with those letters.

This is the BEST radio station with an old school urban format i've EVER heard! 99.9 WTRU comes in crystal clear ive heard them say they broadcast out of Albany Ny,

dj grandwizard rasheen was the dj who taught dj jazzy jeff how to spin and mix records and mercury was a dj for a few old school hiphop groups and started right here in the capital district on college radio
as I remember in the early 80's era. amazing job these guys are doing keep up the good work. spin on!

I also hear that grandwizard rasheen and dj mercury are the Djs for Mikey D who used to be in an 80's group called L.A POSSE and then the 90s group Main Source.

Unlicensed so plays explicit records + virtually no commercials and constant live mixes. Always wondered why there is very little demand for "classic" stations in hip-hop vs other genres like rock.