Anybody ever go rock climbing?

Pitfalls0117

Invokana Trump
Daps
Reppin
NJ->BOS->DC
I know it's pretty granola-cac friendly but I've been going with one of my friends over the last month as a supplement to my regular lifting routine, like once every two weeks (haven't bought my own membership yet). I only go bouldering, so you don't have to strap into the harness and the wall is only like 10-15 feet high, so it's not dangerous to fall off. It's a nasty workout, for forearms and core especially. It's humbling too--the first time you go you won't be doing shyt and :flabbynsick:type dudes and girls will be lapping you. But if you stick with it you can get better. It's kind of like playing a video game honestly.

Anyone ever try this?

Kano

All Star
Daps
A coworker of mine got me into rock climbing. I Boulder more than anything. Those straps are too uncomfortable with all of those harnesses.

Great exercise and it really tests your endurance/ patience/cardio and strength. Lol at granola CAC yea you'll see them with their sandals on. No brothers or sisters but it's a good time nonetheless. Check out slacklining as well. You might enjoy it usually rock climbing places have them.

shutterguy

Photographer
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cleveland
I did indoor-rockclimbing with a friend of mine, she used to go by herself all the time and then she asked me to go to try it. That shyt looked mad easy standing on the spongy floormats. I got to climbing up a angled wall, and realized how much strength you need to have in order to deal with your holding your bodyweight and climb on an angle. I did a few small walls to the top and back down, was tired after awhile. Same place had the harness setup with peeps climbing 30ft in the air

Home - Cleveland Rock Gym

top_rope_001.jpg

Pitfalls0117

Invokana Trump
Daps
Reppin
NJ->BOS->DC
I went last week and it was a lot of fun, and a great workout, but my upper elbows (like between the elbow and biceps) were dead for three or four days afterwards. Couldn't do db chest press or curls or anything that recruited those muscles for a little while.

I'd still recommend getting into rock climbing but if you do make sure you stretch and ice properly before and afterwards, otherwise it's really really easy to injure yourself

unit321

Hong Kong Phooey
Daps
Reppin
USA
I know it's pretty granola-cac friendly but I've been going with one of my friends over the last month as a supplement to my regular lifting routine, like once every two weeks (haven't bought my own membership yet). I only go bouldering, so you don't have to strap into the harness and the wall is only like 10-15 feet high, so it's not dangerous to fall off. It's a nasty workout, for forearms and core especially. It's humbling too--the first time you go you won't be doing shyt and :flabbynsick:type dudes and girls will be lapping you. But if you stick with it you can get better. It's kind of like playing a video game honestly.

Anyone ever try this?
No.
Why?
White dude goes out rock climbing on a mountain, falls down, calls for help, park rangers send in a helicopter.
Black dude goes out rock climbing on a mountain, falls down, calls for help, park rangers send in a helicopter.
Asian dude goes out rock climbing on a mountain, fall down, calls for help, park rangers ask why an Asian is even rock climbing and if this is a practical joke.

Rusty Kuntz

It be ya own peoples, huh?
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Myself. fukk 12(1)!
My gym in college had two indoor walls; one was a shorter wall to practice your grips and then the taller wall to actually climb. It's hard as heel at first, but it's super fun.

I haven't rock climbed consistently since college; I'll usually go 1-2 times a year now.

He Who Posts Well

Superstar
Daps
No.
Why?
White dude goes out rock climbing on a mountain, falls down, calls for help, park rangers send in a helicopter.
Black dude goes out rock climbing on a mountain, falls down, calls for help, park rangers send in a helicopter.
Asian dude goes out rock climbing on a mountain, fall down, calls for help, park rangers ask why an Asian is even rock climbing and if this is a practical joke.
:dahell:

Pool_Shark

Can’t move with me in this digital space
Daps
I want to try it out. There's a bunch of gyms by where I live.

A good place to find classes for cheap is on Groupon.

allshaftnohead

Refuse to believe it's not butter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
Used to do it when I was in high school (friend's mom had a gym with a 50 foot wall out back. Wish I kept doing it. Good for grip, arms, back, core, balance. I got one of those rock climbing pullup bars for grip and forearm strength a couple of years ago and it works pretty well

Pitfalls0117

Invokana Trump
Daps
Reppin
NJ->BOS->DC
I went several times but honestly it just kills my lower biceps/triceps and elbow. The same thing happens now with weighted pull ups.

It's still a great workout and I encourage everyone ITT to try it out but don't skimp on the stretching/icing and all that