Anyone an Electrician?

staticshock

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
I got an interview for Norfolk Southern coming up as a conductor. Trying to figure out if imma do that or join the IBEW

staticshock

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
That the railroad company right? Heard that's a good job, what are the details of it?

Conductor position, they are the ones who assist the engineers in “driving” the train.

Pay is VERY good, but the home/life balance is ass. I think you work for 6 days & off for 2, but that rarely happens, plus you are on call for 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. So that pretty much means you won’t have a life and you’ll have to keep your phone next to you all the time.

I heard that once you put in some years you can get a normal schedule tho

Truefan31

Superstar
Daps
Conductor position, they are the ones who assist the engineers in “driving” the train.

Pay is VERY good, but the home/life balance is ass. I think you work for 6 days & off for 2, but that rarely happens, plus you are on call for 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. So that pretty much means you won’t have a life and you’ll have to keep your phone next to you all the time.

I heard that once you put in some years you can get a normal schedule tho

yeah i heard that railroad company job is a good paying job. Also heard about working on the docks for longshoreman out there in Norfolk. Great pay/benefits, but I dunno how the hours work.

staticshock

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
yeah i heard that railroad company job is a good paying job. Also heard about working on the docks for longshoreman out there in Norfolk. Great pay/benefits, but I dunno how the hours work.

I’ve always wanted to work on a cargo ship but I’m in Atlanta.

Norfolk Southern has a big hub down here. I’ve applied to every conductor position they had on their website just to see what would happen & I’ve been getting invites to interviews for months, but this is the first time I’ve gotten an invite for the Atlanta position.

Already passed the online assessment, I’m prior military & a minority so I think I have a good shot. Only thing I’m worried about is some old cac judging me for my hair. I’m doing the natrural nappy from thing right now, but this is Atlanta so I don’t think it won’t be too big an issue.

If I was in a flyover State like Iowa, Nebraska, Oklahoma or Kentucky I would cut my hair down a little.

Truefan31

Superstar
Daps
I’ve always wanted to work on a cargo ship but I’m in Atlanta.

Norfolk Southern has a big hub down here. I’ve applied to every conductor position they had on their website just to see what would happen & I’ve been getting invites to interviews for months, but this is the first time I’ve gotten an invite for the Atlanta position.

Already passed the online assessment, I’m prior military & a minority so I think I have a good shot. Only thing I’m worried about is some old cac judging me for my hair. I’m doing the natrural nappy from thing right now, but this is Atlanta so I don’t think it won’t be too big an issue.

If I was in a flyover State like Iowa, Nebraska, Oklahoma or Kentucky I would cut my hair down a little.

Is the conductor job the best job for that company?

staticshock

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta

No lol.
It’s an entry level position for people with no railroad experience.

The best jobs for NS would be those in upper management & developmental engineers, they are probably millionaires.

Conductors start off at 56k tho & it goes up every year.

If you stay in long enough & become a train engineer you can hit 100k

staticshock

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta

No lol.
It’s an entry level position for people with no railroad experience.

The best jobs for NS would be those in upper management & developmental engineers, they are probably millionaires.

Conductors start off at 56k tho & it goes up every year.

If you stay in long enough & become a train engineer you can hit 100k

blackzeus

Superstar
Daps
Know any good online classes and what I need to get into?

I got the residential electrician license because I didn't want to fork over $4000 to upgrade to 200 amps on a house I bought. I actually think it's relatively easy. The main issues are calculating loads on a circuit, and properly wiring lighting circuits. I personally think the cert is the easy part, you need to practice in your garage wiring crap together, or do like I did and practice on a house you own.