Anyone here a hiring manager?

NZA

LOL
Daps
Reppin
These Internet Streetz
company i am at is too small to have one, but i let the boss know i needed help so he told me to hire somebody, so i did the whole process of creating the job, creating the ad, choosing requirements, two rounds of interviews for top candidates, and then hired a dude. i dont know if my experience will be helpful to you or not...

duckbutta

eienaar van mans
Daps
Reppin
DFW
So, thanks for responding to my thread. I just want a quick survey of your experience/process and some answers about how you view a candidate, and the process in general. Lettuce discuss.

@The5thLetter @Dwolf @duckbutta @NZA

What industry?

Are you in-house or third party?

If that's your exclusive role (HR as opposed to being the point person within your unit or department) how slow or fast are your departments in getting to you on the candidates they want?

What's your average turnaround for candidates from initial contact to background check/hiring? How involved is your background check?

How long do you leave listings online (obv until you get a hire usually) but what's the overall duration on average for how long it takes you to get someone in place?

What's your biggest pain point internally (from the teams) vs externally, from candidates?

What software do you use?

If a candidate gives you a number that you say you can meet and then at the offer stage they want more, do you consider it or do you take that as them being greedy?

Lastly, if a candidate tells you they want to work for you 2-3 years before entering B-school, do you take that as a plus or a negative? Ambitious, or do you see that as they don't plan on investing in your company?

In house.

Hiring people is just a part of my responsibilities. Takes HR 3 to 8 weeks to get me all the initial resumes I want. Takes them another 3 to 5 weeks to start scheduling interviews. This is dependent on what is going on with other departments, so the 3 weeks is if hiring is slow and the 8 weeks is if a lot of groups are trying to hire a lot of people. Also I deal with senior level virtualization and cloud stuff so collecting resumes with enough experience and knowledge takes time. If we were talking about some windows admin stuff HR can get me a 100 of those type of resumes in a day or two.

I work on some federal stuff so turn around time is actually pretty quick, because we only interview people with the exact clearances we need or clearances that they have that we know they won't have a problem getting what we require. It's a borderline no go for me to hire someone with no clearance...it takes to long...it can literally take over a year before they can legally touch the systems I need them to work on...

I have no idea what the online listings are for my company cause I never look at them. I write up my own listing for what I know I need and send that to HR. I know HR goes and puts it on job boards cause they will come back and ask me to change some stuff so that it makes job boards word search easier...but i never actually go look at that and I have no idea how long that stuff sits out there.

I don't have a pain point from other teams since my department is pretty much full stack. Candidates themselves...lying on your resume. I think I do a pretty good job on phone interviews but I would say probably 1 in every 5 face to face interview I do it gets to the point where I can tell a person has lied on their resume. Mostly when it gets to setting up stuff and I ask them to walk me through it and they go through pretty much the standard install which you can't do for enterprise level IT...or they go through an install that is for say something like 500 virtual machines but on their resume it says they were "responsible for 4,000 virtual machines" and again the install between the two is totally different.

I use way to many different types of software to list.

Personally I don't care what offer a person writes down. Internally HR and executive management have already decided what they will pay for the position and if you ask for more than that, even if I am fine with that once it goes back to HR for review they are either going to outright say no, or they are going to ask me to give a long winded explanation as to why this new candidate should make so much more than what the company is offering, and I am not going to do that for some random person who doesn't even work at the company. I don't consider anybody to be greedy asking for more money because the point is to get paid the most you can, but there is going to be a certain point where the company says no and that is just the end of it. I do my best to offer close to the max I possibly can though so I rarely have this issue when it comes to pay negotiation. And the candidates we interview with have been around so they typically know walking in what to expect as far as pay.

Don't ever tell a hiring manager or anyone you interview with that you only want to work somewhere XXX amount of years. At best it will make no difference, as worst you instantly disqualify yourself because nobody wants to be told by a person who doesn't even work their yet "after xxx amount of time I am out". And companies typically want people who are going to work in a position indefinitely and NOT someone who wants to move up in the company. What happens in 5 years if you want to move up but there is no position for you to move up to? Companies aren't just going to create you a position out of thin air and if you start talking about how long you will work before something happens and you might leave that is what they are going to start thinking about. If you ever get asked questions like that "are you thinking about going to school" or "where do you see yourself in five years" you always give some generic bs answer and keep it moving. "Going back to school to further my education would be something that interest me but only if it fits into my work life balance. I would be getting so much experience at my job that I would want to keep that real world experience while also supplementing it with higher education learning as well." Something like that.

Yinny

Biracial a little bit
Daps
Reppin
Shangri-La
In house.

Hiring people is just a part of my responsibilities. Takes HR 3 to 8 weeks to get me all the initial resumes I want. Takes them another 3 to 5 weeks to start scheduling interviews. This is dependent on what is going on with other departments, so the 3 weeks is if hiring is slow and the 8 weeks is if a lot of groups are trying to hire a lot of people. Also I deal with senior level virtualization and cloud stuff so collecting resumes with enough experience and knowledge takes time. If we were talking about some windows admin stuff HR can get me a 100 of those type of resumes in a day or two.

I work on some federal stuff so turn around time is actually pretty quick, because we only interview people with the exact clearances we need or clearances that they have that we know they won't have a problem getting what we require. It's a borderline no go for me to hire someone with no clearance...it takes to long...it can literally take over a year before they can legally touch the systems I need them to work on...

I have no idea what the online listings are for my company cause I never look at them. I write up my own listing for what I know I need and send that to HR. I know HR goes and puts it on job boards cause they will come back and ask me to change some stuff so that it makes job boards word search easier...but i never actually go look at that and I have no idea how long that stuff sits out there.

I don't have a pain point from other teams since my department is pretty much full stack. Candidates themselves...lying on your resume. I think I do a pretty good job on phone interviews but I would say probably 1 in every 5 face to face interview I do it gets to the point where I can tell a person has lied on their resume. Mostly when it gets to setting up stuff and I ask them to walk me through it and they go through pretty much the standard install which you can't do for enterprise level IT...or they go through an install that is for say something like 500 virtual machines but on their resume it says they were "responsible for 4,000 virtual machines" and again the install between the two is totally different.

I use way to many different types of software to list.

Personally I don't care what offer a person writes down. Internally HR and executive management have already decided what they will pay for the position and if you ask for more than that, even if I am fine with that once it goes back to HR for review they are either going to outright say no, or they are going to ask me to give a long winded explanation as to why this new candidate should make so much more than what the company is offering, and I am not going to do that for some random person who doesn't even work at the company. I don't consider anybody to be greedy asking for more money because the point is to get paid the most you can, but there is going to be a certain point where the company says no and that is just the end of it. I do my best to offer close to the max I possibly can though so I rarely have this issue when it comes to pay negotiation. And the candidates we interview with have been around so they typically know walking in what to expect as far as pay.

Don't ever tell a hiring manager or anyone you interview with that you only want to work somewhere XXX amount of years. At best it will make no difference, as worst you instantly disqualify yourself because nobody wants to be told by a person who doesn't even work their yet "after xxx amount of time I am out". And companies typically want people who are going to work in a position indefinitely and NOT someone who wants to move up in the company. What happens in 5 years if you want to move up but there is no position for you to move up to? Companies aren't just going to create you a position out of thin air and if you start talking about how long you will work before something happens and you might leave that is what they are going to start thinking about. If you ever get asked questions like that "are you thinking about going to school" or "where do you see yourself in five years" you always give some generic bs answer and keep it moving. "Going back to school to further my education would be something that interest me but only if it fits into my work life balance. I would be getting so much experience at my job that I would want to keep that real world experience while also supplementing it with higher education learning as well." Something like that.

Okay, thanks for your response!

NZA

LOL
Daps
Reppin
These Internet Streetz
internet marketing

in house

not exclusive role; i am head of area i am hiring for

i didnt even bother doing the background check

i left listings for about 2 weeks. applicants came in FAST

creating interview questions for the first time in my life was the toughest. i dont know the candidate's pain

i forgot the name of the software, but it was some simple app that auto-posts to several job boards

in my case, the offer is inflexible. so they would be forced to lean back. still, i have no problem with someone trying to get their money so no hard feelings if that happens

i think a 2-3 year timetable is fine. in my particular industry, i dont see very long tenure as something to expect. i would inform the candidate that with a company as small as this one, roles can change drastically in that same time. it is very likely they will be capable of having a different role, different compensation, and different responsibilities within that same time frame if they stay. still, if i like their abilities, i would hire them anyway.