Bill Clinton: I Made Criminal Justice ‘Worse’

theworldismine13

God Emperor of SOHH
Daps
Reppin
Arrakis
Bill Clinton: I Made Criminal Justice ‘Worse’
http://www.thedailybeast.com/cheats...-justice-worse.html?via=mobile&source=twitter

ill Clinton said at a NAACP meeting in Philadelphia on Wednesday that he made a mistake by signing the 1994 Violent Crime Control Act that lengthened federal sentences for many crimes. "I signed a bill that made the problem worse. And I want to admit it," he said. Clinton sounded a lot different when he signed the bill: "Gangs and drugs have taken over our streets and undermined our schools. Every day, we read about somebody else who has literally gotten away with murder." The act, co-written by Joe Biden, promised greater federal funding for states if they enacted stricter sentencing laws for violent offenses. In addition, it provided money for extra prisons, funding for 100,000 police, cut higher education assistance for inmates, and created 60 new death penalty offenses. Finally, the bill created the Violence Against Women Act and banned the sale of assault weapons.

Drones

Visions of $
Daps
It's interesting that he said this when he probably didn't have to. Maybe the guilt of knowing that you ruined countless lives just to make some money for private prison contractors is too much for him to bear so he had to let it out.

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
I wonder how much later this would have come if Hillary wasn't running :francis:
but also if Black activists hadn't pushed this issue so much :ehh:
Bill's been pretty quick to admit his Administrations mistakes though. He has issued me culpa's on Rwanda, Bin Laden and a bunch of other stuff...most of it with no prodding from outside sources.

AJaRuleStan

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Killa Queens
I don't think he should apologize honestly. The logic he used when he made the decision to support violent crime act came from a rationale place. In economics when the cost rises for a good it deters ppl away from buying it, so in the context of raising crime penalties to deter the rising crime rates in big cities in the 80s and early 90s made sense. The only flaw with this idea is that criminals just don't give a shyt about the cost lol. So it didn't fix the problem it just created a bunch of new problems, but that doesn't mean Bill's intent didn't come from a rationale place.

Last edited: