Black Women in the Arts: Dance

Ya?

Banned
Daps
Like many black kids across diaspora, I love dance and music. It gives you life and is a source of great release of stress/tension not to mention cultural exchange. I am proud of all the black forms of expression black people have created and their popularity cannot be denied. At the same time, I am sad to see that in particular black dance art forms that have been taken up by the mainstream, BLack women have slowly been rendered obsolete.

Hip Hop: I did not grow up a Hip Hop head like others (more RnB fan) but I always enjoyed the beautiful expression of body movement of that style. But I am sad to see the steady white washing/non-black washing of this style when it comes to BW. To the point where white/mestizo/Asians have more sway in the dance world for half the effort and BW steadily being pushed out from dancing to be relegated to being instructors to the same women who will be front and center, get accolades and more importantly endorsements, MONEY, etc...

Afrobeat: Is slowly taken the world by storm and it still predominantly comprised of BW dancers, but I am seeing the trajectory this is going and since the workshops are hitting across Europe and slowly creeping the American market (similar to the dancehall craze), I am seeing the women getting lighter and more other. And I am sorry to say to that many of the people who lead these workshops are African men...

Afro latin dances (samba, salsa, merengue,etc...): You barely see any BW, it is mainly white/mestizo Hispanics and this has been a long time coming.

Dancehall: still maintained his black stamp but the non black female dancers of this style again get the most traction after being taught by black female instructors and they are never as good. Sad say...

This thread is an ode to these ladies:

AMARI MARSHALL

DEJA CARTER

Kaelyn Harris

Phil Wright (He features a lot of BW dancers and supports them and I respect him)

Kendra Oyesanya (gotta throw some afro beat lol)

Sherrie Silver

Kara Janelle

Dont know her name but she is amazing

Izzy Odigie

Some of these amazing BW dancers!!

Last edited:
  • Dap
Reactions: Dip

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
Prolly would get a better response in TLR despite the riffraff.

from my observation its black women who are leading these classes and choreography so thats nice to see

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
@Dip didnt want this to turn into a BM vs BW war.
you're right, some of these nikkas would somehow turn this into a gender war:francis:

but as far as Afro Latin dances, i've seen a lot of Afro Brazilians on IG holding classes and stuff. idk about the Hispanic countries

• Dap
Reactions: Ya?

Ya?

Banned
Daps
I already posted. Glad you enjoyed vids. I am always so amazed how talented we are as a people.

• Dap
Reactions: Dip