Boston Celtics players-only celebration for 2008 championship will not include Ray Allen

Discussion in 'The Coliseum' started by Stress Welker, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Stress Welker

Stress Welker All Star

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    NULL
    Coli Cash:
    $105084.32

“It will be a long story about that, but it is what it is,” Rondo, who plays for the Chicago Bulls, told The Undefeated. “I don’t know a good analogy to put this in. It just wasn’t the greatest separation. It wasn’t the greatest thing that could’ve happened to us as a team, a bond. We were at war with those guys [Miami]. To go with the enemy, that’s unheard-of in sports. Well, it’s not so unheard of. It’s damn near common now.

“The mindset we had. The guys on our team. You wouldn’t do anything like that. It makes you question that series in the Finals … Who were you for? You didn’t bleed green. People think we had a messed-up relationship. It’s not the greatest. But it’s not just me. I called and reached out to a couple of other vets and asked them what they wanted to do with the situation. They told me to stick with what we got [without Allen].”

Rajon Rondo, former Celtics teammates plan to celebrate their 2008 title without Ray Allen

2. Illeye buckmatic

Illeye buckmatic NaS Signed LeBron To #TPC

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    A Buckeye State Of Mind
    Coli Cash:
    $11125953.00

Sounds like the servant situation:sas2:

Makavalli, A-dotty, 2Quik4UHoes and 7 others dapped this.
  3. madness

madness Superstar

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    City of Zoes
    Coli Cash:
    $100000.00

It's been nearly 10 years since the Boston Celtics won their 17th NBA Championship, and although that title run was long before Ray Allen scorned the C's and headed to the Miami Heat the wounds he left behind haven't healed. Rajon Rondo has been organizing an early 10 year anniversary to celebrate their championship run, and Allen won't be extended an invitation to join them. Via Marc Spears of The Undefeated:

“It will be a long story about that, but it is what it is,” Rondo, who plays for the Chicago Bulls, told The Undefeated. “I don’t know a good analogy to put this in. It just wasn’t the greatest separation. It wasn’t the greatest thing that could’ve happened to us as a team, a bond. We were at war with those guys [Miami]. To go with the enemy, that’s unheard-of in sports. Well, it’s not so unheard of. It’s damn near common now.

“The mindset we had. The guys on our team. You wouldn’t do anything like that. It makes you question that series in the Finals … Who were you for? You didn’t bleed green. People think we had a messed-up relationship. It’s not the greatest. But it’s not just me. I called and reached out to a couple of other vets and asked them what they wanted to do with the situation. They told me to stick with what we got [without Allen].”

None of the guys on that team would ever downplay the role Allen played on that title team, but Ray leaving for Miami was essentially the beginning of the end for the Celtics 2nd Big Three Era. Jumping ship to your biggest rival right after you just blew a 3-2 lead to them in the Conference Finals was a sure fire way to create some bad blood from his former teammates. We all remember how Kevin Garnett reacted the first time he saw Ray on the court afterwards:

[​IMG]

I distinctly remember a lot of the talk being centered on Rondo and Allen not getting along being a big factor in Ray's decision, but the C's former point guard made it clear that although he's organizing the get-together it wasn't his decision alone to not extend an invitation to Allen:

“I asked a couple of the guys. I got a no, a no head shake,” said Rondo to The Undefeated when asked why Allen wasn’t invited. “I would have went with the team, with the group,” Rondo said.

Although he didn't respond to comment on Allen not being included in the celebration, Paul Pierce's comments in an interview last year with Spears might provide an answer to where he stands:

“That was a tough situation because we thought it was betrayal,” Pierce said. “That’s why the whole thing evolved like it did with us not talking to him. Ray didn’t really have the best relationship with Rondo anyway. That was nothing. [Rondo], me and Kevin, he didn’t have any talk with us [before his Miami decision].

“I tried to call him and I didn’t get any return calls before he signed with Miami. That was our rival. We were brothers. We came in together. We just wanted a heads-up or a ‘what’s on your mind?’ or something like. Then, all of a sudden, he left. That was the biggest disappointment on my end. Not even getting a callback at that moment.”

Not every member of the 2008 team feels the same way, as Leon Powe wants an invitation to be extended Allen's way:

“I assumed that Ray would be invited,” Powe told The Undefeated. “That is one of my guys. My preference is that Ray is extended an invitation.”

Ray Allen is not invited to the 2008 Celtics title team reunion | CelticsLife.com - Boston Celtics Fan Site, Blog, T-shirts

4. Jplaya2023

Jplaya2023 Superstar

Daps Received:
    Coli Cash:
    $399971.24

ray wasn't a top 2 player in the league and boston did not blow a 3-1 lead to miami either.

they need to include jesus, without him they don't win shyt.

AVXL, Supreme365, Crown Bearer and 4 others dapped this.
  5. no1es run this

no1es run this Superstar

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    Garnet N Gold
    Coli Cash:
    $1447499999999.75

Shame too because Ray went the fukk off in the series clincher I wanna see the band back together

[​IMG] :mjcry:

6. Illeye buckmatic

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    A Buckeye State Of Mind
    Coli Cash:
    $11125953.00

I'm not saying he was on KDs level at that point. That's not the point the Celtics players are making:heh: But I will say what KD did is worse.

KnickstapeCity and Trill Russell dapped this.
  7. Jplaya2023

Jplaya2023 Superstar

Daps Received:
    Coli Cash:
    $399971.24

what is he talking about? the 2010 finals? ray left 3 years later why would he be thinking about miami then? they petty meter is over 1000

8. stilltheguru

stilltheguru Superstar

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    NULL
    Coli Cash:
    $345000.00

If they mad because he went to Miami and that's it, they are all lame

cartierhoe, AVXL, LV Koopa and 38 others dapped this.
  9. Jplaya2023

Jplaya2023 Superstar

Daps Received:
    Coli Cash:
    $399971.24

ray was a role player and the celtics were washed after 2012.

10. K-Slim

K-Slim Force meets Finesse

Daps Received:
    Coli Cash:
    $225500.00

I understand where they're coming from.On the flipside, if you're him you've still got one more ring than all of them so you probably don't really care.

AVXL, OGBobbyJohnson, A-dotty and 5 others dapped this.
  11. Illeye buckmatic

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    A Buckeye State Of Mind
    Coli Cash:
    $11125953.00

Reread what you just quoted nikka:martin:

The God Poster dapped this.
  12. Jplaya2023

Jplaya2023 Superstar

Daps Received:
    Coli Cash:
    $399971.24

right i get it, i don't think what ray did was "bad" at all in the context of durant but i get where you coming from.

Illeye buckmatic dapped this.
  13. SchoolboyC

SchoolboyC Superstar

Daps Received:
    Coli Cash:
    $1300500.00

Figured they (other than Rondo) would be off that by now, it's been 5 years.

14. Populair

Populair OWW Supporter

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    The City of Win(d); Chi
    Coli Cash:
    $100.00

Rondo Numba 9 is the one who put a stop to Yimmy and STD-Wade from throwing everybody under the bus on the Bulls - he hasn't pulled any punches and he's been an integral part & reason as to why the Bulls will not make the playoffs this season.

[​IMG]
    I'm forever indebted to him. He sucks, but I fukks with his mentality.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  15. He Who Posts Well

He Who Posts Well Superstar

Daps Received:
    Coli Cash:
    $1.00

[​IMG]

:lolbron: