Boxers vs Brawlers

Off the Onion

No tolerance for the fatherless
Daps
What boxers do you consider brawlers?

I.E: I considered Floyd Mayweather and Roy Jones a fighter but Mike Tyson a brawler.

Who do you consider boxers vs brawlers?

Daps
Reppin
Golden Era/Drama free Zone
what about Slugger?

or does that fall into the brawler category?

Boxer = Muhammad Ali, Floyd Mayweather Jr, Sugar Ray Lenard, Errol Spence Jr. etc.. (stick n move, calculated smart punches)

Brawler = Joe Frazier, Mike Tyson, Gervonta Davis, Jack Dempsy etc... (Moving forward, very aggressive and tries to overwhelm you with sheer volume and constant pressure)

Slugger = George Foreman, Deantay Wilder, Jack Johnson. etc (Not interested in out boxing you or overwhelming you with volume like Brawlers, Simply looking for that one punch to get you out of there, throws all the traditional boxer/brawler stuff in the bushes and gets straight to the chaser, which is u in the floor quickly with as little punches as possible)

Last edited:

Off the Onion

Daps
what about Slugger?

or does that fall into the brawler category?

Boxer = Muhammad Ali, Floyd Mayweather Jr, Sugar Ray Lenard, Errol Spence Jr. etc.. (stick n move, calculated smart punches)

Brawler = Joe Frazier, Mike Tyson, Gervonta Davis, Jack Dempsy etc... (Moving forward, very aggressive and tries to overwhelm you with sheer volume and constant pressure)

Slugger = George Foreman, Deantay Wilder, Jack Johnson. etc (Not interested in out boxing you or overwhelming you with volume like Brawlers, Simply looking for that one punch to get you out of there, throws all the traditional boxer/brawler stuff in the bushes and gets straight to the chaser, which is u in the floor quickly with as little punches as possible)

Where do guys like Tommy Hearn, Marvin Hagler and Roberto Duran fall in your book?

Off the Onion

Daps
I haven't seen alot of Tommy Hearns fights but from what I remember he was tall and Linky. That style would fit more of a traditional boxer.

Hagler and Duran are definitely brawlers though

You think?

I think Marvin was a great switch fighter and just as much of a boxer as Tommy Hearns

R.B.J1

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
I haven't seen alot of Tommy Hearns fights but from what I remember he was tall and Linky. That style would fit more of a traditional boxer.

Hagler and Duran are definitely brawlers though

Tommy was more of a slugger who had the ability to be a slick boxer, I guess he was a boxer-slugger. If there was a 12 round limit when he fought Sugar Ray in 1981 Tommy would've won by UD and it wouldn't have been close, he put on a boxing clinic.

reservoirdogs

Superstar
Daps
I find the old boxer-slugger-swarmer categorization a bit outdated but I also think that boxing is one of the sports where some fighters are hard to put into categories. I still do it cause somehow I like that part, like to think about a system behind it.

I generally call brawlers fighters who are less focused on technique, offensive and trust very much in their incentives such as being tough, having the better chin, packing the better punch. They can be awkward because of this too. Brawler often used as a pejorative word but I view it as neutral, a brawler can be great too, arguably the likes of Marciano, Foreman, Holyfield or Lamotta were brawlers too and they were all great. From recent years you can think about fighters like Maidana, Rios, Porter, Matthysse, Provodnikov or Mayorga as brawlers.
King Sor can be a brawler too when he wants to be.

Swarmer is imo a subcategory of brawler or can be called another category too if u want to. I call swarmers the hyper-aggressive, no holds barred fighters. That doesn't necessarily mean they don't defend though...
Frazier, early Tyson, Aaron Pryor, Henry Armstrong etc... from today Shawn Porter is like that (not the same league as the ones mentioned before him just the style itself...)

not all offensive fighters are brawlers though
The GGG like more methodical pressure fighters are not brawlers imo. They don't take as many risks defense wise and rather than beating the opponent through the ring they want to corner him or press him to the ropes with aggressive footwork and jabs to tee off on him there. They usually don't really fight on the inside or get physical either like brawlers often do, they are clinical and they keep it at mid distance.

And then there are the very offensive end of boxer-punchers, fighters like Kovalev who are beating you up constantly but almost always from the outside, never at close range, they keep a preferred range all the time and they can box without a problem too. If they are too close to the opponent rather than roughing him up and throwing uppercuts and hooks, they take a step back and throw straights again.

Off the Onion

Daps
I find the old boxer-slugger-swarmer categorization a bit outdated but I also think that boxing is one of the sports where some fighters are hard to put into categories. I still do it cause somehow I like that part, like to think about a system behind it.

I generally call brawlers fighters who are less focused on technique, offensive and trust very much in their incentives such as being tough, having the better chin, packing the better punch. They can be awkward because of this too. Brawler often used as a pejorative word but I view it as neutral, a brawler can be great too, arguably the likes of Marciano, Foreman, Holyfield or Lamotta were brawlers too and they were all great. From recent years you can think about fighters like Maidana, Rios, Porter, Matthysse, Provodnikov or Mayorga as brawlers.
King Sor can be a brawler too when he wants to be.

Swarmer is imo a subcategory of brawler or can be called another category too if u want to. I call swarmers the hyper-aggressive, no holds barred fighters. That doesn't necessarily mean they don't defend though...
Frazier, early Tyson, Aaron Pryor, Henry Armstrong etc... from today Shawn Porter is like that (not the same league as the ones mentioned before him just the style itself...)

not all offensive fighters are brawlers though
The GGG like more methodical pressure fighters are not brawlers imo. They don't take as many risks defense wise and rather than beating the opponent through the ring they want to corner him or press him to the ropes with aggressive footwork and jabs to tee off on him there. They usually don't really fight on the inside or get physical either like brawlers often do, they are clinical and they keep it at mid distance.

And then there are the very offensive end of boxer-punchers, fighters like Kovalev who are beating you up constantly but almost always from the outside, never at close range, they keep a preferred range all the time and they can box without a problem too. If they are too close to the opponent rather than roughing him up and throwing uppercuts and hooks, they take a step back and throw straights again.

Nice. But is Tyson a swarmed when he had a good defence?

reservoirdogs

Superstar
Daps
Nice. But is Tyson a swarmed when he had a good defence?
Tyson had a great head- and upper body movement, he had a good defense, so did Pryor but they were still very offensive and very aggressive fighters who didn't hesitate to throw from unexpected angles and they didn't wait patiently for the right spot to be in to strike or right distance. Important part of their style was to get very close and unleash combinations so yeah I would call them swarmers.

An offensive style is more risky by its nature, offensive fighters get hit more than someone like Mayweather or Whitaker whatever how good their head-body movement is but just because of that they can still have very good defenses which are only surpassed by defensive minded fighters' defenses of the same level.