Breaking: Ariel Helwani joins ESPN

Flywin Lannister

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Lannister Bloodline
We kind of all saw this coming. There was no way the premier MMA journalist and basically the face of MMA journalism would stay at SB Nation. Just like we knew Woj wouldn't stay with Yahoo. Here's the news.

And for those wondering what this means for The MMA Hour:
  • Monday: podcast show which will be basically the same as The MMA Hour it's called 'The MMA Show with Ariel Helwani'.
  • Wednesday: 30-minute weekly ESPN+ show with Cheal Sonnen called 'Ariel & The Bad Guy' to discuss the latest news in the MMA world
  • Daily MMA news on the website
  • Pre and post-fight reporting for MMA events

Ariel really deserves this in my opinion and I look forward to his debut on ESPN. He can really talk with all types of fighters, he asks the right questions, ok sometimes he starts shyt by saying 'I got him on the phone if you don't mind talking with him right now' which is just too odd (but it does sell tickets) but come on overall he's the man when it comes to MMA journalism, he's also quite funny and really likable. Good look for Ariel!

Last MMA Hour will be Jun 11 after UFC 225 (Whitaker - Romero II)

10bandz

RIP to the GOAT
Supporter
Daps
ESPN already has dikkriding Brett Okamoto, now they gonna have the king MMA dikkrider :dame:

in all seriousness its a good pickup for espn

The Guru

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Dont why he gets hate he does his job very well. He is fair and consistent!
He started a lot of shyt always instigating between fighters, suggestive criticism. Playing the good guy, oblivious to the outcome of his actions and words.

Cheech&Chong

rip chinx
Daps
Reppin
He knows his shyt. Ive been waiting forever for ESPN to seriously cover MMA. Hes one of the top guys they coulda got for this intro to MMA. This is gonna be great

Daps
Reppin
T Dot
I just don't get how dis makes sense for the ufc.

You have Ariel. Who starts all da shyt and leaks key ufc brass into all the time doin a show with Chael who is signed to your competitor Bellator.

Wtf. U cldnt find a fighter who can talk shyt who is not setup wit Bellator.

aceboon

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I just don't get how dis makes sense for the ufc.

You have Ariel. Who starts all da shyt and leaks key ufc brass into all the time doin a show with Chael who is signed to your competitor Bellator.

Wtf. U cldnt find a fighter who can talk shyt who is not setup wit Bellator.
UFC can't dictate who ESPN hires for their MMA coverage, this isnt the same as the FOX deal where Ariel was doing TV work for a UFC production.

Daps
Reppin
T Dot
UFC can't dictate who ESPN hires for their MMA coverage, this isnt the same as the FOX deal where Ariel was doing TV work for a UFC production.

Actually they can. Just like in nba, nfl and nba the leagues can bully the network for whatever they want. Otherwise then no you don't want to play fair with ufc. Then dana puttin shytty fights on espn it and be tree fights on fight pass and ppv.

Dana cna block access for interviews and footage behind da scenes. The promo spots in run up to fights. A lot of power ufc still has and to share that with simeone signed to Bellator is very awkward

Kinguno

The Immortal
Daps
Reppin
New York
This is great moving forward because entertainment as a whole is going to get more unbearable pushing people back to sports live and nothing is better than MMA moving forward