Buzzfeed: The Information Apocalypse is coming

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
Which is why Ovadya, an MIT grad with engineering stints at tech companies like Quora, dropped everything in early 2016 to try to prevent what he saw as a Big Tech–enabled information crisis. “One day something just clicked,” he said of his awakening. It became clear to him that, if somebody were to exploit our attention economy and use the platforms that undergird it to distort the truth, there were no real checks and balances to stop it. “I realized if these systems were going to go out of control, there’d be nothing to reign them in and it was going to get bad, and quick,” he said...

For Ovadya — now the chief technologist for the University of Michigan’s Center for Social Media Responsibility and a Knight News innovation fellow at the Tow Center for Digital Journalism at Columbia — the shock and ongoing anxiety over Russian Facebook ads and Twitter bots pales in comparison to the greater threat: Technologies that can be used to enhance and distort what is real are evolving faster than our ability to understand and control or mitigate it. The stakes are high and the possible consequences more disastrous than foreign meddling in an election — an undermining or upending of core civilizational institutions, an "infocalypse.” And Ovadya says that this one is just as plausible as the last one — and worse.

Worse because of our ever-expanding computational prowess; worse because of ongoing advancements in artificial intelligence and machine learning that can blur the lines between fact and fiction; worse because those things could usher in a future where, as Ovadya observes, anyone could make it “appear as if anything has happened, regardless of whether or not it did.”

For those paying close attention to developments in artificial intelligence and machine learning, none of this feels like much of a stretch. Software currently in development at the chip manufacturer Nvidia can already convincingly generate hyperrealistic photos of objects, people, and even some landscapes by scouring tens of thousands of images. Adobe also recently piloted two projects — Voco and Cloak — the first a "Photoshop for audio," the second a tool that can seamlessly remove objects (and people!) from video in a matter of clicks.

In some cases, the technology is so good that it’s startled even its creators. Ian Goodfellow, a Google Brain research scientist who helped code the first “generative adversarial network” (GAN), which is a neural network capable of learning without human supervision, cautioned that AI could set news consumption back roughly 100 years. At an MIT Technology Review conference in November last year, he told an audience that GANs have both “imagination and introspection” and “can tell how well the generator is doing without relying on human feedback.” And that, while the creative possibilities for the machines is boundless, the innovation, when applied to the way we consume information, would likely “clos[e] some of the doors that our generation has been used to having open.”....

He Predicted The 2016 Fake News Crisis. Now He's Worried About An Information Apocalypse.

MMS

Intensity Integrity Intelligence
Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Auburn, AL
tbh this is the only silver lining over the net neutrality debacle

i thought long and hard about the prospect of an internet thats controlled and throttled (:mjcry:) and literally the first thing that came to mind was AOL :ehh:

i just know alot of wealth will evaporate FAST when it does happen :cacwot:

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
tbh this is the only silver lining over the net neutrality debacle

i thought long and hard about the prospect of an internet thats controlled and throttled (:mjcry:) and literally the first thing that came to mind was AOL :ehh:

i just know alot of wealth will evaporate FAST when it does happen :cacwot:
I think net neutrality may make it worse because corporations may be keen to profit off it.

But I agree that we are reaching a point where the openness is too much and dangerous.