Can someone link me a good but basic tutorial for mixing in FL?

julesocean

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Like I don't know shyt about mixing. I see lots of videos on youtube but I'm not sure which one is legit. :jbhmm:

Pinyapplesuckas

He's A Good Man
Daps
Reppin
Willacoochee, Ga
ive watched a lot of his vids. and while he's def informative i still didnt really learn shyt lol. i be opening the equalizers and still dont know what the fukk i'm doing :manny:

DJ Mart-Kos

All Star
Daps
To me the most important effect to learn is EQ.
For me compression isn't really needed most of the time.

Propaganda

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
the basic principles of mixing are the same in any daw or on any console for that matter. you should learn what eqs/compressors/reverbs/delays/etc do. that'll help you no matter what you're using. and not just what they do in general but what the knobs do in those effects, how they affect sound, why and when to use them, etc. then you can build on that knowledge base and evolve.

also, a MAJOR thing in mixing is the sound sources and arrangement. if you have good sounds and good arrangement from jump, mixing becomes a way easier job. recording stuff well, having quality samples, not having a song with like 15 things (no matter how dope they each sound on their own) playing at the same time...that shyt goes a long way. it really does.

another thing is, maybe even before touching any fx, get your levels and panning worked out. go through your song 2-3-5 times, whatever, just listen and move faders and pan pots and try to find a general volume and a space for each sound. then when the song sounds decent just off the strength of that, then you start fine tuning with the eq and compression. and then go from there with everything else.

i think that's a good basic framework to start from when mixing.