Children As Young As 13 Attending 'Smartphone Rehab' As Concerns Grow Over Screen Time

DEAD7

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Fresno, CA.
Children refusing to put down their phones is a common flashpoint in many homes, with a third of British children aged 12 to 15 admitting they do not have a good balance between screen time and other activities. But in the U.S., the problem has become so severe for some families that children as young as 13 are being treated for digital technology addiction. One "smartphone rehab" center near Seattle has started offering residential "intensive recovery programs" for teenagers who have trouble controlling their use of electronic devices. The Restart Life Center says parents have been asking it to offer courses of treatment to their children for more than eight years. Hilarie Cash, the Center's founder, told Sky News smartphones, tablets and other mobile devices can be so stimulating and entertaining that they "override all those natural instincts that children actually have for movement and exploration and social interaction."

Children as young as 13 are attending 'smartphone rehab'

delta

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
having 24/7 access to a device that is a video game console, PC and TV all in one device since age 5 can cause problems :ohhh:

Maxine Shaw

#ColiFam gave more $ 2 my students than my school
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, N.Y.
Society as a whole needs this. Hell I need this. :mjcry:
Nearly 20 years ago, I remember practically breaking out in sweats when we couldn't have access to email in basic training (nine weeks at the time). I cannot IMAGINE being separated from my smartphone for that long. I have run home during my conference period just to get it from home, even though we can't have it on during school hours (minus lunch and break).

无名的

Superstar
Daps
I made the mistake of giving too much screen time to my kid the first few years. It was hell to dial it back, but it was easy to see the issues it was causing. It's hard to put the devices away, but the older I get, the more I hate them... can't stand trying to have conversations with people who are simultaneously doing something on their phones. Manners are disappearing.

Daps
People really don't understand why kids love smartphones in 2017? :mjlol: The experiences that the internet offers is virtually unlimited. And with kids growing up off this technology this may replace the actual connections that they have in the real world on some quantity vs quality shyt. Why speak to the one person who is in front of me about a topic I have no interest of when I can log on to my social media site of choice and talk about whatever the fukks on my mind. Best believe if the real world offered better experiences than the internet these kids would never be on their phones.

GnauzBookOfRhymes

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Parents are 2/3 responsible. Why not send them to rehab centers so they can learn not to shower their kids with unnecessary toys and ensuring they grow up w/o proper financial perspective.

A 12 year old is not paying the phone bill.
A 12 year old needs a phone, not a smartphone.