Colleges make a fortune from saying 'no' to applications - here’s how much. . .

Jimi Swagger

I say whatever I think should be said
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Turtle Island to DXB
100953287-143309511r.1910x1000.jpg

For students, college applications are one more step in the tedious process ofgetting into and choosing the right school. But for colleges, applications serve as something else entirely: A revenue stream.

That's according to LendEdu, which conducted a study to find just how much colleges and universities make in total from application fees and specifically from denials.

Using 2015-2016 college admissions data, LendEDU created a list of the 500 colleges with the highest enrolled-to-admitted ratios, 500 colleges that make the most revenue from total applications and 500 colleges that make the most from declined applications.

Here are the top 10 schools that made the most from declined student applications, with their corresponding revenue from total applications, enrolled-to-admitted ratios and application fees:

University of California-Los Angeles
Revenue from declined applications: $5,367,180
Revenue from total applications: $6,488,300
Enrolled-to-admitted ratio: 35 percent
Application fee: $70

University of California-Berkeley
Revenue from declined applications: $4,590,110
Revenue from total applications: $5,522,510
Enrolled-to-admitted ratio: 42 percent

Stanford University
Revenue from declined applications: $3,632,130
Revenue from total applications: $3,824,730
Enrolled-to-admitted ratio: 80 percent
Application fee: $90

University of California-San Diego
Revenue from declined applications: $3,620,820
Enrolled-to-admitted ratio: 26 percent

University of Southern California
Revenue from declined applications: $3,419,440
Revenue from total applications: $4,153,920
Enrolled-to-admitted ratio: 32 percent
Application fee: $80

For students, college applications are one more step in the tedious process of getting into and choosing the right school. But for colleges, applications serve as something else entirely: A revenue stream.

That's according to LendEdu, which conducted a study to find just how much colleges and universities make in total from application fees and specifically from denials.

Using 2015-2016 college admissions data, LendEDU created a list of the 500 colleges with the highest enrolled-to-admitted ratios, 500 colleges that make the most revenue from total applications and 500 colleges that make the most from declined applications.

Here are the top 10 schools that made the most from declined student applications, with their corresponding revenue from total applications, enrolled-to-admitted ratios and application fees:

University of California-Los Angeles
Revenue from declined applications: $5,367,180
Revenue from total applications: $6,488,300
Enrolled-to-admitted ratio: 35 percent

University of California-Berkeley
Revenue from declined applications: $4,590,110
Enrolled-to-admitted ratio: 42 percent

Stanford University
Revenue from declined applications: $3,632,130
Revenue from total applications: $3,824,730
Enrolled-to-admitted ratio: 80 percent
Application fee: $90

University of California-San Diego
Revenue from declined applications: $3,620,820
Enrolled-to-admitted ratio: 26 percent

University of Southern California
Revenue from declined applications: $3,419,440
Revenue from total applications: $4,153,920
Enrolled-to-admitted ratio: 32 percent

These public colleges offer the best value

University of California-Santa Barbara
Revenue from declined applications: $3,325,700
Revenue from total applications: $4,937,520
Admission-to-enrollment ratio: 19 percent

University of California-Irvine
Revenue from declined applications: $3,080,770
Revenue from total applications: $5,024,250
Admission rate: 37 percent

Boston University
Revenue from declined applications: $2,952,800
Revenue from total applications: $4,382,480
Admission rate: 25 percent

Columbia University
Revenue from declined applications: $2,930,205
Revenue from total applications: $3,137,435
Enrolled-to-admitted ratio: 63 percent
Application fee: $85

University of Michigan-Ann Arbor
Revenue from declined applications: $2,863,950
Revenue from total applications: $3,884,775
Enrolled-to-admitted ratio: 45 percent
Application fee: $75

"It is important to remember," the study notes, "this money is revenue for the colleges, not profit. To ensure standards and reputations are upheld, colleges must ensure each application is thoroughly reviewed by a university employee — and rightfully so. The colleges transfer this cost onto the prospective student through application fees."

While revenue projections in the report are likely close to the actual revenue numbers, they may vary based on discounted and waived applications fees due to financial aid.

Students applying to college can use these tips to get prepared. Those already in school can use these to save money. And, to find out how much your school makes off of students it turns away, search here.

(For profit colleges and online universities will accept you)

TTT

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Isn't that a way to game the rankings by boosting the selectivity percentages

fairfax12

Pro
Daps
it looks that simple to me. 92k applying to ucla each year? 37k applying to harvard? come on that's burning money. explain why it's more complex than that.
UCLA is full of foreign students. Also if you're applying to some place like that it's likely your first or second choice. can't blame em for having a good rep. i would be interested to seeing what kind of financial aid packages are funded with the application revenue

hashmander

Hale End
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Arsenal
UCLA is full of foreign students. Also if you're applying to some place like that it's likely your first or second choice. can't blame em for having a good rep. i would be interested to seeing what kind of financial aid packages are funded with the application revenue
i wouldn't say UCLA is full of foreign students, it's like 10-12%. it's full of asians, but the majority of them are americans.

Serious

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1st Round Playoff Exits
it looks that simple to me. 92k applying to ucla each year? 37k applying to harvard? come on that's burning money. explain why it's more complex than that.
Good weather :mjpls:

USC has the keyes to the city though(networking)

All the UCLA peeps I knew, said they were assed out and on their own in terms of landing a gig, compared to SC peeps who have a network of alumni support in the city, which is crucial. Because jobs in LA arent posted on job boards(websites). A lot of hiring is through word of mouth, nepotism and networks.....

hashmander

Hale End
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Arsenal
Good weather :mjpls:

USC has the keyes to the city though(networking)

All the UCLA peeps I knew, said they were assed out and on their own in terms of landing a gig, compared to SC peeps who have a network of alumni support in the city, which is crucial. Because jobs in LA arent posted on job boards(websites). A lot of hiring is through word of mouth, nepotism and networks.....
yeah but my UCLA degree counts for more outside of LA, especially internationally. i've never worked in LA. :manny:

when i had a job offer in london a few years back it was from a UCLA alumnus over there.