Creationism no longer the most popular explanation for human origin in US, Gallup Poll

Menelik II

I wanna see receipts!
Daps
In US, Belief in Creationist View of Humans at New Low

The percentage of U.S. adults who believe that God created humans in their present form at some time within the last 10,000 years or so -- the strict creationist view -- has reached a new low. 38% percent of U.S. adults now accept creationism, while 57% believe in some form of evolution -- either God-guided or not -- saying man developed over millions of years from less advanced forms of life.

of1nju2kgeah3c20wrbdca.png

Since 1982, agreement with the "secular" viewpoint, meaning humans evolved from lower life forms without any divine intervention, has doubled.

Americans' Views on Human Creation Related to Education, Religious Preference

Higher education levels are associated with less support for creationism and higher levels of belief in the evolutionary explanation for human origins. Belief in creationism is 21% among those with postgraduate education versus 48% of those with no more than a high school diploma. Agreement with evolution without God's involvement is 31% among postgrads versus 12% among Americans with a high school education or less.

However, even among adults with a college degree or postgraduate education, more believe God had a role in evolution than say evolution occurred without God.

screen-shot-2017-05-23-at-5-24-51-pm.png

Menelik II

I wanna see receipts!
Daps
Holy shyt I didn't realize it was that high to begin with.
yeah 38% is crazy high.

This means a third of the population are 'Old Earth' deniers. People had given up on a 10,000 year old Earth centuries ago.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
yeah 38% is crazy high.

This means a third of the population are 'Old Earth' deniers. People had given up on a 10,000 year old Earth centuries ago.

I don't think that's exactly true - a lot of people who call themselves creationists and who believe that "God created man in present form" still believe in an Old Earth. They just think that God miraculously added people to it 6,000 or so years ago. I'd bet you no more than 10-15% of the population is Young Earthers.

Menelik II

I wanna see receipts!
Daps
I don't think that's exactly true - a lot of people who call themselves creationists and who believe that "God created man in present form" still believe in an Old Earth. They just think that God miraculously added people to it 6,000 or so years ago. I'd bet you no more than 10-15% of the population is Young Earthers.
actually the 10k years part is pretty irrelevant, as most people wouldn't have any idea how old the earth is, thousands, millions or billions. :francis: