Danny Garcia: I'm Ready To Take Over The Welterweight Division!

CEITEDMOFO

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
As previously reported on BoxingScene.com, former world super lightweight and welterweight world boxing champion Danny Garcia (33-1, 19 KOs) returns from the first loss of his career in February against former world champion Brandon Rios, it was announced a few days ago.

The fight will headline a February 17the Showtime televised card at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas that also includes unbeaten David Benavidez making his first World Boxing Council super middleweight title defense in a rematch with Ronald Gavril.

Garcia, 33-1 with 19 knockouts, suffered the first defeat of his career last March, dropping a split decision to fellow American Keith Thurman at Brooklyn in a unification showdown for the World Boxing Council and World Boxing Association welterweight crowns.

Garcia has no problem with the time off, and believes that he physically needed it.

Now he's vowed to fight and beat the top fighters who are currently holding belts at 147-pounds.

"I was the reigning champion for six years, so I needed the rest. I'm ready to kick off the year in style and take over the welterweight division," Garcia said.

In his last fight, a welterweight clash of world title holders, Garcia lost via split decision to now unified WBC, WBA world champion Keith Thurman in a hard-fought fight.

Now he's going against the 31-year-old Rios, who is 34-3 with one draw and 25 knockouts. The former WBA lightweight champion dropped three of his past six starts, including a 2013 Macao matchup against Manny Pacquiao, but won his most recent bout by knocking out Mexico's Aaron Herrera this past June after a 19-month layoff.

Because of their styles, Garcia expects fireworks from the sound of the first bell.

"What's interesting in this fight with Brandon Rios is our styles. We both like to come forward. This kind of matchup will bring out the best in both of us. I'm excited to be back in Las Vegas. I've had some of my best performances and some of my biggest fights there. I beat Lucas Matthysse and Amir Khan in Vegas. You fight in Las Vegas, you're a superstar," added Garcia.

L68

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Should rematch Rod Salka he's won 5 straight

Rev

Bong
Daps
Reppin
Uptown
this fool should fight 3x in 2018, for once.

fought once in 2017, and is fighting a washed up bum in mid-feb. finish the year with a banger after a better fight in the summer.

• Dap
Reactions: IVS

ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTUA

Return of the Khryst
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTUA
LOL! So why is he fighting Brandon Rios

Tunes_Sugar_Free_Cherry_Menthol_37g.jpg