Degrees beside STEM that college nikkas can eat good from?

invalid

Banned
Bushed
Daps
Fair enough. I'm weary on even calling it that though, and this is coming from someone who has double majored in both Finance and Accounting. You don't have nearly the same science and math base as many STEM majors. One could not just have a Finance degree and decide to get a Masters in Engineering without having to take several lower level science and math classes, before even considering the major classes in their degree plan.

In my initial comments, I said that Finance and Accounting were not STEM because they were not quant heavy. I agreed with you. Quantitative Finance could possibly be considered STEM.

The bolded is not a good argument as to why it isn't STEM. You can't be an engineer and go to med school without having to take a significant number of lower level classes to qualify for med school. Same if you were a programmer making a switch to become a marine biologist.

I work in finance as well and use to work for one of the Big 4.

Daps
Finance and Accounting are not STEM, they are business degrees. Accounting isn't heavy on math at all. The highest math most peopls go through is Calc 1. Finance is more math heavy when you get into modeling and the like but it is still nowhere close to the math many STEM majors have to take. Nursing is STEM because it involves medicine, which is an actual science.

Please refer to my comment above. Just because it has a two year option, that doesn't preclude it from being in the STEM category.

There are B.S. degrees for accounting and finance and some curriculums require some intro coding courses as well. I’ll admit that accounting is too light on math to be considered a true STEM major, but finance requires a considerable amount of math, statistics, probability, and even CS. But at this point we arguing over semantics.

Bubba T

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
In my initial comments, I said that Finance and Accounting were not STEM because they were not quant heavy. I agreed with you. Quantitative Finance could possibly be considered STEM.

The bolded is not a good argument as to why it isn't STEM. You can't be an engineer and go to med school without having to take a significant number of lower level classes to qualify for med school. Same if you were a programmer making a switch to become a marine biologist.

I work in finance as well and use to work for one of the Big 4.

The point I was trying to reach is that a student in one STEM major generally would not need to take several lower level science/math classes if they were to switch to another STEM major as they have already taken them. They would generally already have that science/math base. Of course they would have to take several other lower classes because they are studying a different discipline, but the base is already there.

But perhaps I just misread your comments and came to an incorrect conclusion. It really doesn't matter, as @Mind Over Thirst mentioned we are just arguing semantics.

Axolotl

Banned
Daps
forget "trying to eat" off your degree because you're going to chase something you hate or something you aren't good at.

Think about what you would be cool with doing for the rest of your life. Think about what you need financially to be comfortable. Find where they intersect and pursue that.

Accountants and Financial planners jump off buildings too :wow: Money is not the cure to happiness. Find something you can be passionate about doing and love doing and try to fall into that field :manny:
true

unit321

Hong Kong Phooey
Daps
Reppin
USA
Accounting

If you are not confident in your math and science as is needed for a degree in computer science but want to work in IT and like using computers, look into majoring in "Management Information Systems". It's usually taught in business colleges. Get a bachelor's degree in that. You don't development software. You use software applications for business use.

GetSomeMoney

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Advertising/Marketing :blessed:
:mjlol: stop it. Marketing has traditionally been one of the first areas where budgets are cut. Most marketing grads I know deal with straight commission sales jobs out of school. Marketing may be one of the worst Business school concentrations.