DEONTAY WILDER: "WASHINGTON IS A BIG GUY...I DON'T THINK HE'S READY TO FIGHT ME"

CEITEDMOFO

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
deontaywilder3.jpg

Unbeaten heavyweight world champion Deontay "The Bronze Bomber" Wilder discussed his upcoming world title defense and more on Wednesday in New York ahead of his showdown with unbeaten Gerald "El Gallo Negro" Washington Saturday, February 25 from Legacy Arena at the BJCC in Birmingham, Alabama.

Televised coverage on FOX and FOX Deportes begins at 8 p.m. ET/5 p.m. PT and also features a pair of exciting matchups as rising super welterweight contenders Tony Harrison and Jarrett Hurd meet in a 12-round world title eliminator, plus hard-hitting Dominic Breazeale battles undefeated Izuagbe Ugonoh in heavyweight action.

Tickets for the live event, which is promoted by DiBella Entertainment and TBG Promotions in association with Bruno Event Team, start at $25 (not including applicable fees) and are on sale now. Tickets are available through Ticketmaster and by visiting AlabamaTitleFight.com.

Here is what Wilder had to say Wednesday:

DEONTAY WILDER

"There are a lot of heavyweights who say they want me, but at the end of the day, do they really want this? Everybody knows that Deontay Wilder comes with power.

"I fight for the people, that's what I'm all about. I like to give the fans a great fight at a reasonable price. Each fight I'm in I'm always exciting and well-prepared. I come to give people what they want to see when they see a heavyweight, and that's a knockout.

"Gerald Washington is a big guy I've seen fight a few times. I don't think he's ready to fight me, but he thinks he is. We'll find out on February 25. I chose him because he's always been respectful while always wanting the opportunity. He's going to come ready to fight.

"My preparation stays the same, even with the opponent change. I've been in situations where I've had to change a lot after an opponent dropped out, but Gerald being as good as he is and similar to Wawrzyk makes it easier. They have different styles but we'll work on how to break him down.

"When I knocked out Artur Szpilka, I thought he was dead for a few seconds. That's just from natural, Alabama country power.

"I'm still training while I'm here in New York. I have Mark Breland here with me helping me get a lot of good work in. I'm staying focused. When February 25 comes, I'll be ready.

"I definitely feel 100 percent, but we'll see what it's going to feel like in the ring when I apply this force to a human skull. When I'm in the gym doing work, I feel great.

"I never really let my hand properly heal until this injury, because the bicep takes longer to heal than the hand. The time gave me an opportunity to really improve my left hand. I feel more polished now than I've ever been.

"You have to have patience in this sport. The big fights that people want to see will be coming. I'm not scared of anyone and I won't run for anyone. My team is on the same page and we're going to keep working together and moving forward.

"It's all about adjusting. Each and every time I go through something inside or outside of the ring, it just makes me better and better.

"Chris Arreola's style was perfect for mine. Even with the injuries that I was suffering, I could still get the job done. I also had to fight through the injuries with Stiverne, because I hurt my hand in the third round of that fight. Being able to have these experiences has made my confidence even higher."

For more information, visit www.premierboxingchampions.com,www....m/http://www.foxsports.com/presspass/homepage and foxdeportes.com. Follow on Twitter @PremierBoxing, @BronzeBomber, @FOXSports, @FOXDeportes, @LouDiBella and @Swanson_Comm and become a fan on Facebook at www.Facebook.com/PremierBoxing, www.Facebook.com/DiBellaEntertainment, www.Facebook.com/FoxSports and www.Facebook.com/FoxDeportes. Follow the conversation using #PBConFOX. PBC on FOX is sponsored by Corona, La Cerveza Mas Final.

TheNig

Dr.TheNig DDS
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brolic... Alcoholics
I kept getting Washington confused with Jarrell Miller. Miller and Deontay got into it on the radio sometime last year. That shyt was comedy.