diggin in the crates without actually having crates: a resource thread

blizzard man

Join the Nintendo Fun Club today!
Daps
Reppin
DC
yo brehs,

im hoping a good amount of yall are in my position, which is:

using a software DAW instead of and MPC, SP12 or anything like that. I sold my MPC and record player a few years back but have been wanting to get back into producing so im learning FL.

its a dope program, but i miss sampling. figured out how to sample and chop samples in FL, but since i dont have a record player (or the space to get a new one and more records) finding those random samples to fukk with has been difficult.

where do you guys go to look for stuff to sample? i go to youtube and forgotify a lot, and i take notes when i hear something sampleable when im out on the town, but i want to make sure im using every avenue I can.

TL: DR - add in your new school/online crate digging resources here, for the coli producers who dont have record players no mo

Wildin

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
yo brehs,

using a software DAW instead of and MPC, SP12 or anything like that. I sold my MPC and record player a few years back but have been wanting to get back into producing so im learning FL.

its a dope program, but i miss sampling. figured out how to sample and chop samples in FL, but since i dont have a record player (or the space to get a new one and more records) finding those random samples to fukk with has been difficult.

where do you guys go to look for stuff to sample? i go to youtube and forgotify a lot, and i take notes when i hear something sampleable when im out on the town, but i want to make sure im using every avenue I can.

TL: DR - add in your new school/online crate digging resources here, for the coli producers who dont have record players no mo

I used to have a couple of bookmarks with sample sites or sites where people uploaded "dope samples" or old classic albums. Long story short I lost all the bookmarks and what I do now is kind of find a rabbit hole that requires a little bit of research but i'll search a particular song or beat, genre then find either other artists that sound similar or worked with using the recommended or hit up wikipedia and basically I just listen. Listen while you take a shyt, drive, read the news, surf the web, play video games, workout, shower, just keep an ear out. It'll expand your musical knowledge and taste and you'll find some good samples.

Wildin

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
yo brehs,

I used to have a couple of bookmarks with sample sites or sites where people uploaded "dope samples" or old classic albums. Long story short I lost all the bookmarks and what I do now is kind of find a rabbit hole that requires a little bit of research but i'll search a particular song or beat, genre then find either other artists that sound similar or worked with using the recommended or hit up wikipedia and basically I just listen. Listen while you take a shyt, drive, read the news, surf the web, play video games, workout, shower, just keep an ear out. It'll expand your musical knowledge and taste and you'll find some good samples.

Pinyapplesuckas

He's A Good Man
Daps
Reppin
Willacoochee, Ga
ive always wondered this as well. i never expect people to give out their sources though because you can step on their toes a bit flipping the same stuff. i'm rockin out my trash record collection for what i can until i jump into the digital dig game.