Do you guys like your job or the lifestyle that comes with it ?

phcitywarrior

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Naija / DMV
cosign all of this...myself though i am thinking about getting out of the business analyst world to go into something else...i just dont know where to take my talents and experience yet

I'm using this as a platform to possibly business development/entrepreneurship. Right now this job is a good steady paycheck that's allowing me stack up some good money to invest in places where I can get higher returns i.e. Nigeria and the greater West Africa.

FocusedDaily

Chi-town's Hero
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
South-side Chi
I used to LOVE my job. I"m a tech consultant/process analyst for an old money company.

It used to be so great working here, but the culture is changing as the older heads retire and It's less and less interesting.
Solving problems was great when I had budgets and resources to do thing the way they should be, Now the penny pinching culture we're moving towards is killing my vibe. Like an issue that came up this week, did my work and came back with a budget of only 20-25k and an 8 week development and testing timeline(using an offshore resource). 5 years ago I'd have had the money allocated on the spot. Now ? They're going to drag their feet for at least another month and have 6 more meetings before it happens.

If I hear, "we've got to do more with less" again, I might cuss somebody out.

So, IStill haven't gotten the money, and the project I was already on had the funding pulled til next year.
But the CEO got 22 mil in compensation this year.

I don't feel like trying to find a new job tho, so I'm dealing.

Daps
Work in production trying to escape I feel l
Hate this job, man. Part of it is because my bootcamp left me unprepared. But they also provide ZERO training at this place. The Glassdoor reviews were 100% accurate, and I should have given them more consideration. The pay is decent, as are the benefits. But there is so much disorganization going on. In 6 months, I've been on three different teams. Each team has come with a completely different project/code base, so basically starting from scratch with each switch. And they have changed their business processes multiple times. A Fortune 500 that wants to play like the big boys but still try to cling on to some mirage of being a start-up culture. I am used to direct customer/client interactions, and they finessed me into believing I would have some of those opportunities here. Bout to just end my grad school deferment and get the certificate to practice school social work. IT for me represented a way to connect youth to a promising career. Since I have teaching, advising, and counseling experience, I can leverage my role as a School Social Worker into an opportunity to teach 2 courses: 1.) College and Career Prep and 2.) Social-Emotional Development/Life Skills.

Trying to escape the production floor anyway possible

LoMax30

Bokeem Hoodbine
Daps
Reppin
Chopped Cheese & Snapple Iced Tea
Engineer here doing HVAC design. I have a cushy job. I'm not rich but the pay is pretty good, benefits are good, etc. I been at this for more than a few years and tried to be patient with it but I recently realized...it's just not for me. I'm just plain not interested in this stuff. I'm one of the few younger people and POCs in the company. I look at my co-workers who are a few years older than me like :hhh: I'm not tryna be crusty squares like them :huhldup:

I want to transition into another field/career but I'm feeling like I been at HVAC so long I'm kinda lost as to what else I can do with this skill set. And I'm not tryna take a 20k pay cut and be down to 2 weeks of vacation a year :snoop: Any suggestions? :feedme: