Engineers and other related professionals, students, etc PLEASE STEP IN!!!

L&HH

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
PG x MD
Alright this Friday I have an interview for an internship set up with BP.
The only thing I know about the internship is they were seeking a Mechanical, Chemical, or Civil Engineer and a student with the ability to understand P & ID diagrams. I have some knowledge on the diagrams as I took a thermodynamics class that implemented similar diagrams as a part of the coursework. Any of ya'll experienced in this field/area can give me advice on what I should brush up on or possibly study. Another question would be how do you all propose the interview is going to be like?

fukk i just realized i dont even have my thermodynamics book (I took the class in the winter and let a friend borrow it in the spring and they forget to give it back and i forgot to ask for it back).

L&HH

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
PG x MD
Yeah props Ill check these out. But the original question wasnt necessarily where should I look to learn about it but more so how the interview would go and what kind of questions would be asked in the interview.

Habit

Banned
Daps
Not sure what they will ask. Only thing I can recommend is learn as much about BP as possible and the duties of the position. Cause I don't think they gonna ask you questions like what is your favorite color.

http://www.bp.com/sectiongenericarticle.do?categoryId=9023238&contentId=7043231

http://www.bp.com/sectiongenericarticle.do?categoryId=9023310&contentId=7043482

http://www.bp.com/sectiongenericarticle.do?categoryId=9030387&contentId=7056055

http://www.bp.com/extendedsectiongenericarticle.do?categoryId=9035448&contentId=7065795 (5 minute video of interns describing their internship)

L&HH

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
PG x MD
Not sure what they will ask. Only thing I can recommend is learn as much about BP as possible and the duties of the position. Cause I don't think they gonna ask you questions like what is your favorite color.

BP Global - Careers - Interns

BP Global - Careers - Engineering

Interns & Co-ops | Students and graduates| United States | BP

Intern video | Students and Graduates | UK | Careers | BP (5 minute video of interns describing their internship)

:laff: Thanks man. I'll look these over tomorrow. Normally what I do in a situation like this is ask whoever told me about the internship (career advisor at my school) if I they can get somebody who's interned there or interns there currently in contact with me. i then ask them about the interview and what it was like.

Another question, I doubt it happens but if they ask about drug use should I tell them the truth or what they want to hear (which is No).Id pass one if they ask me to take one btw.

Habit

Banned
Daps
:laff: Thanks man. I'll look these over tomorrow. Normally what I do in a situation like this is ask whoever told me about the internship (career advisor at my school) if I they can get somebody who's interned there or interns there currently in contact with me. i then ask them about the interview and what it was like.

Another question, I doubt it happens but if they ask about drug use should I tell them the truth or what they want to hear (which is No).Id pass one if they ask me to take one btw.

I'm going into my sophomore year for Civil Engineering, so I haven't done any internships. But I don't think it is a good idea to project the image of being a drug user.

L&HH

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
PG x MD
I'm going into my sophomore year for Civil Engineering, so I haven't done any internships. But I don't think it is a good idea to project the image of being a drug user.

Yeah I know. For me it was a strictly social thing that I only did once every few months or so, The last time being in April. So I was saying is it better to tell them that (or even say ive only tried it 2 times) if the question is asked or just say no?

Habit

Banned
Daps
Yeah I know. For me it was a strictly social thing that I only did once every few months or so, The last time being in April. So I was saying is it better to tell them that (or even say ive only tried it 2 times) if the question is asked or just say no?

No, better to appear clean cut and a straight shooter. Also, get a home drug test to see if the drug is out of your system.

theworldismine13

God Emperor of SOHH
Daps
Reppin
Arrakis
I'm more on the electrical side of things but my advice would be that as an intern your claim to fame is your schoolwork so the main thing you want to show is that you have taken a bunch of classes and you learned a lot from them

One of the main criteria is whether they like you or not and whether you fit in the culture, so just keep everything corporate

honesty is not a plus, likability, confidence and capability is, so do not forward any negative info and do not concede ignorance unless they corner you

do not say anything about drug use and deny everything, the way most companies deal with drugs is that they give you a drug test AFTER they made the decision to hire you becuase they have to pay for the test, in other words it's a post screen not a pre screen