Gods of Egypt' director, Lionsgate apologize for predominantly white cast

thernbroom

Superstar
Daps
That's some Macklemore grammy winning shyt:sas2:

151128124440-gods-of-egypt-exlarge-169.jpg

Proyas issued a statement apologizing for the lack of racial diversity in the cast on Friday. “The process of casting a movie has many complicated variables, but it is clear that our casting choices should have been more diverse. I sincerely apologize to those who are offended by the decisions we made.”

Lionsgate also acknowledged the need for more inclusive casting in a statement obtained by Variety, which reads: “We recognize that it is our responsibility to help ensure that casting decisions reflect the diversity and culture of the time periods portrayed. In this instance we failed to live up to our own standards of sensitivity and diversity, for which we sincerely apologize. Lionsgate is deeply committed to making films that reflect the diversity of our audiences. We have, can and will continue to do better.”

The public apology stands in contrast to Ridley Scott’s response over a similar controversy prompted by the casting for his Egypt-set epic, “Exodus: Gods and Kings,” which was banned in Egypt for its “historical inaccuracies” last year.

Scott defended his decision to cast white actors Christian Bale and Joel Edgerton in the lead roles of Moses and Ramses as a matter of practicality. “I can’t mount a film of this budget, where I have to rely on tax rebates in Spain, and say that my lead actor is Mohammad so-and-so from such-and-such,” Scott told Variety before the film’s release. “I’m just not going to get it financed. So the question doesn’t even come up.”

21st Century Fox CEO Rupert Murdoch, who owns the studio behind “Exodus,” then poured fuel on the fire when he weighed in on the furor via Twitter, writing, “Moses film attacked on Twitter for all white cast. Since when are Egyptians not white? All I know are.”

The cast of “Gods of Egypt” includes Gerard Butler, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, Brenton Thwaites, Chadwick Boseman, Geoffrey Rush, Elodie Yung and Courtney Eaton.

“Gods of Egypt” bows in theaters on Feb. 26, watch the trailer here.

Lionsgate and Proyas’ statements were first reported by Forbes.

Last edited:

Amphibious

Land, water, wherever.
Daps
Sounds like he's apologizing because of backlash not because you know you got nothing but white people playing Arabs and Africans and you filmed the entire movie knowing this lol.

Arabs are their own race now? You're stupid as fukk.

And director shouldn't apologize. Movies are movies.

KillaFnCam

Rookie
Daps
Arabs are their own race now? You're stupid as fukk.

And director shouldn't apologize. Movies are movies.

STFU you would never see a Vikings movie or TV show with an all black cast, nevertheless any black people. So why would they make a movie based on ancient Egypt with an all-white cast where its clear Egyptians did not look like Gerard Butler. Also fukk Rupert Murdoch.

tmonster

Superstar
Daps
Someone has to do this for the :troll::deadrose:
copyrighted :troll:
I want to make a movie about Norse mythology with an all black cast :skip:
and keep a straight face:ufdup: the entire time: pitch:troll:,
production:troll:,
casting:troll:,
filming:troll:,
release interview....*nothing but a blank stare* :troll:

Any questions as to why the cast is all black and i yell racism:damn: and point the interviewer :ufdup:to the thousands of films that were inspired by black culture where they never question the race of the actors:sas2:
and then I calm down and tell them it's just a movie:yeshrug:

just think of how many stories can be used to troll racists:noah:

Zeus: black:troll:
Snow white: black:pachaha:
Superman: black:mjlol:
Dracula IN TRANSYLVANIA: Black:lolbron: with all Transylvanians as black people and a few sprinkled in token white actors, just standing the fukk around looking out of place:mjlol:

King Arthur and all his fukking knights: black:lolbron: hell everyone in the shire: black:lolbron:
All medieval Europe movies and themes: black :russ:

this could go on for days

i want to make a viking movie with all black people openly claiming that Norse culture was fully African and do it with a straight face, never blinking :shaq: