Good books/documentaries on WWII?

Dr. Acula

ACCEPT JESUS
Supporter
Daps
There was a bbc documentary that focused on it from Stalin’s perspective that has long been my favorite documentary on the subject. Will update once I find the name.

Edit: WW2 behind closed doors. If you search it on google all its episodes are online.

World War Two: Behind Closed Doors (TV Series 2008– ) - IMDb

Dr. Acula

ACCEPT JESUS
Supporter
Daps
The World at War is also a classic. Its probably the most comprehensive documentary on it in being 26 episodes long. Its from 1973 so maybe a bit dated and not as cinematic as WW2 behind close doors.

Its also more focused on it from a military history perspective instead of just the geo-political moves of the leaders as in the documentary above.

The World at War (TV Mini-Series 1973–1976) - IMDb

TravexdaGod

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
Fukkerytown
As far as books go, "A World at Arms: A Global History of World War II" by Gerhard L. Weinberg is a great book, the best I've ever read about the era. Unbiased, well-written, highly accurate and lays the facts bare. It covers everything in one concise volume and includes a massive bibliography and other additional sources should you want immerse yourself any further.

WWII in HD Color -- 13 British-produced episodes about the war from beginning to end. Mostly accurate and covers mostly everything. A good series with catchy documentary-style music, the only drawback IMO is that it's kind of slow in regular speed -- if you have VLC, I recommend watching it in 1.5x speed.

Soviet Storm: WWII in the East -- Good Russian-produced documentary about the Eastern Front in English. About 12-13 episodes covering the major battles of the Soviet Union in its war against Germany (with one episode covering the war against Japan.)

Macallik86

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Binged the whole series yesterday. Surprised how little I knew about WWII :mjlol:

Outside of the obvious inhumanity, the craziest thing I remember was that Pavlov's studies on dogs had just been released so one of the Allies (I think it was the Soviets) starved dogs and conditioned them to expect to be fed after they ran under a war tank. And so when the Germans came to town, the conditioned dogs were strapped with explosives and unwittingly became kamikaze k9s smh

• Dap
Reactions: 19-