Good Exercises for Dunking?

DrunkenNovice

Superstar
Daps
Played ball for the first time in about 2 years and, and no sport activity for about a year after 2 injuries.

I aint got no more :mjcry:

Gonna try to get some of this flab off me and get in the gym consistently....but i might just be :old:

Astroslik

Veteran
Daps
I used to dunk no problem when I was around 180-190 in college. Now 220 and don't got my bounce like I used to smh still young only 25 too.

Last edited:

DonKnock

KPJ Gonna Save Us
Daps
Reppin
Houston
Make sure you're stretching adequately and also doing balance/ankle strengthening exercises.

You can have huge quads and hams but if your ankle can't handle the force or get proper extension then you might as well be trying to jump off sand or ice.

Vandelay

Waxing Intellectual
Daps
Reppin
Phi Chi Connection
Literally just jump.

Just do repetitions of jumping in place. You can up the ante once you get more ups.

IE. Net, backboard, one-handed rim, two-handed rim, jumping with the ball, dunking...

Kal El

All Star
Daps
Reppin
USA
I have a link to the vertical jump bible. Took me from 16 inches to 36 at 5'10:blessed:

I can get hung but can't really dunk at will though:francis:
Breh which program did you follow?

You went from :flabbynsick: to :whoo:

I doubt I'll be able to gain 20 inches on my vert since I'm starting with a higher baseline (I'm probably around 24-28 inches right now) but If I could increase my vert by 10" I'll be dunking:steviej:

Abraxus

All Star
Daps
What I’m going to say may sound stupid to you but I will tell you what worked for me. When I began to play and get into ball I was about 5’7, when I hit 5’9 mf was terrified. What did I do? Every fukking time I got a breakaway I’d try to dunk it. Even if I knew I’d miss it. I was never able to palm a ball so I figured I needed to get higher over the rim. So I literally ate, slept, and shytted with a basketball in my hands.

It got to the point where I lived for a dunk. I didn’t care who the fukk was under the rim I’m coming in lol. My brothers older and younger were both taller than me by now and they were still better until about 11 grade. They said I played angry and I did. I was like fukk whoever ain’t on my team they gone learn today. And so my legend began. My vertical leap was 40 inches for a 6 foot dude, man I could bounce the ball once, spin and flush with two hands. I can still dunk to this day but when I come down now I feel like I’m about to faint.

Anyway

We’d play from 10 pm to 1 am in the parks on a school night going full speed. It always ended with a dunk contest. From 9th grad to 12. Only time I lifted weights was briefly for football. (For legs ) It came naturally. By the time I hit 12th grad and 6’1 I was doing every dunk outside of that between the legs shyt. I could never do that. Anything besides that I was good. If you do exercises don’t forget your quad muscles. Just sit down and do straight leg raises up, down side to side. Single leg. Don’t run with leg weights on, do the T and extensions with them. I did that after joining the military. Played all over the world too until the injuries. Before I broke my wrist the third time we played ina tourney in the desert and took gold. I was like fukk y’all, I still got it.

Lastly, you gotta want it. Once upon a time I liked Charles Barkley so I was like imma try and tear this rim down like Chuck fat bald headed ingnorant ass. Holla