HBO Legendary Nights: "Sugar" Ray Leonard vs. "Marvelous" Marvin Hagler

Daps
Reppin
NULL
you have to look at career achievement but that cant tell you everything. i'll give you an example mike mccallum was a great fighter and a great middleweight but he did not accomplish the things at middleweight like a fighter of marvin hagler's stature but yet hagler was not fighting fighters as talented or as dangerous as james toney or julian jackson. mike mccallum doesnt have the same accolades and glory as hagler but how would hagler look vs fighters like james toney and julian jackson. you got to go on a pound for pound argument there. i wouldnt be too pressed to argue that hagler was not a very good pound for pound fighter with anybody but its when you start to look at it like this and not on career achievements that you start to see hagler may have had a little hero worship when we rank him all time
Mike McCallum WAS a great fighter (BTW Julian Jackson was incredibly overrated) but since he didn't accomplish as much as Hagler...he's not as good as Hagler. Simple. Losing to greater fighters doesn't make you as good.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
explain the bolded breh
He certainly doesn't belong in the same sentence as James Toney. Jackson was a talented fighter with frightening power but he was also weak-chinned and was flattened early by the best boxers he faced.

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
I don't know man, the Hawk could punch. Who were the best he faced anyway ?

His 2 signature wins are against Terry Norris and Herol Graham..both of which he flattened; he also fought mike mccallum and you forget @TheProfessor he had Mike in trouble in that first round before Mike stopped him. He's also known for his 2 fights with Gerald McClellan. He warred with McClellan for 5 rounds in the first round before he was stopped. That wasn't early. The second fight he was taken out in the first though. He prolly played a part in McClellan's eventual undoing even though he was ko'ed in both of those fights

LauderdaleBoss

#TunnelGang #RingGangRadio
Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Lauderdale
As for SRL/Hagler, I always felt Leonard won that fight in a 7 rds to 5 type of way. Hagler losing those early rounds came back to bite him in the ass. People like to act like Ray waited for Hagler to get old, but he got older as well and had a career threatening eye injury that led to a long lay off. All things consider I think they were equal with each other in terms of ring age, but Ray was just the better fighter that night plain and simple.

That fight was also a good example of ring generalship winning a boxing match. Leonard boxed when he needed to, fought when he had to, and stole close rounds with flurries when the time came.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
His 2 signature wins are against Terry Norris and Herol Graham..both of which he flattened; he also fought mike mccallum and you forget @TheProfessor he had Mike in trouble in that first round before Mike stopped him. He's also known for his 2 fights with Gerald McClellan. He warred with McClellan for 5 rounds in the first round before he was stopped. That wasn't early. The second fight he was taken out in the first though. He prolly played a part in McClellan's eventual undoing even though he was ko'ed in both of those fights
Jackson was a damn good fighter - especially at 154 but was it a surprise he KO'ed a young Norris? Norris' chin was weaker than his, if possible. And Graham was a good, not great fighter. The other fights you mention underline my point - he was KO'ed in 2 by McCallum and then KO'ed twice by McClellan, both times early. When I say early I mean before we reached the halfway point...and in the rematch he didn't last 3 minutes.

King P

Legends Never Die
Daps
Reppin
Views From The X
The whole thing about Julian Jackson having a glass jaw is an overstatement IMO. He could be hit/stunned, but he wasn't outright put out.

I actually watched his bout with Thomas Tate recently, and he took some hard shots from Tate in the fight.

McCallum was the only guy to stop Jackson in his prime, and Mike was a heavy hitter. And Jackson was still on his feet when the fight was stopped. I also don't put too much stock in the McClellan knockouts because
A) G-Man had one hitter quitter power
B) By the time Julian got him, he was having alot of problems with his vision due to his retina damage, and was on the downside of his career anyway after 50+ fight.

By the 2nd fight, he was basically a spent fighter with a deteriorated chin. Counting that is like counting SLR's KO to Camacho.

Basically, I'm not saying Jackson had an iron chin, but it wasn't glass like everybody has made it out to be.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
The whole thing about Julian Jackson having a glass jaw is an overstatement IMO. He could be hit/stunned, but he wasn't outright put out.

I actually watched his bout with Thomas Tate recently, and he took some hard shots from Tate in the fight.

McCallum was the only guy to stop Jackson in his prime, and Mike was a heavy hitter. And Jackson was still on his feet when the fight was stopped. I also don't put too much stock in the McClellan knockouts because
A) G-Man had one hitter quitter power
B) By the time Julian got him, he was having alot of problems with his vision due to his retina damage, and was on the downside of his career anyway after 50+ fight.

By the 2nd fight, he was basically a spent fighter with a deteriorated chin. Counting that is like counting SLR's KO to Camacho.

Basically, I'm not saying Jackson had an iron chin, but it wasn't glass like everybody has made it out to be.
He had suspect whiskers. Taking shots from Thomas Tate proves little BTW. Tate had solid power, at best. But anyway, my argument wasn't over his whiskers but just how good a fighter he was. And the idea that Hagler never faced anyone as dangerous as him is just ridiculous IMO.