Hillary Clinton & the "Mass Incarceration Machine": A Debate on Her Support of 1994 Crime Bill

rapbeats

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
i'm just telling breh he voted for it since he said "prove it"

:yeshrug:
hey, the facts are the facts. but all of the facts are also all of the facts. there are so many bills you cant just call out a person for saying yes or no on. i found that out during that first obeezy run. there were all sorts of bills that politicians said no to that you know they stood for in principle. but the problem was, the actual bill had all sorts of nonsense mixed in there.

some of the creators of these bills do that on purpose. for 1, they are trying to compromise with those that dont agree with them. they owe someone else a favor for holding them down on another vote. in addition, some times they do it just to mess up the other sides voting records. "if i get him/her to vote on this thing, i will come out the wood work and say "seeee, look at what he voted for." or "see he didnt even vote for a bill that he wanted. see there." knowing good and well the bill is riddled with nonsense.

King Kreole

natural blondie like goku
Daps
She. Was. Not. President.

and.

black. people. supported. it. too.

I mean damn, lets not be lazy here. Crime in the 90s was a BEAST.
No one is castigating her for signing the bill into law, they're castigating her for her role in supporting and heavily lobbying for it, especially the worst elements of it, and then personally profiting off it. Of course some black people supported it too, but damn even Bill has acknowledged it was fukked up in hindsight. There's no reason to defend the Clintons when they won't even defend it themselves. :heh:

Also,

Michelle Alexander said:
Of course, it can be said that it’s unfair to criticize the Clintons for punishing black people so harshly, given that many black people were on board with the “get tough” movement too. It is absolutely true that black communities back then were in a state of crisis, and that many black activists and politicians were desperate to get violent offenders off the streets. What is often missed, however, is that most of those black activists and politicians weren’t asking only for toughness. They were also demanding investment in their schools, better housing, jobs programs for young people, economic-stimulus packages, drug treatment on demand, and better access to healthcare. In the end, they wound up with police and prisons. To say that this was what black people wanted is misleading at best.