"Hold your fire this man isn't black"

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan

Did they not watch that episode before it aired? Yeah I know what they meant but it just comes across as wrong.

Just say he's the wrong guy and leave it at that. Then again this is the series that brought us

I mean seriously

Last edited:

Uchiha God

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It’s a Japanese show. There’s a reasonable chance that the literal translatation/character/word used in Japanese isn’t the one used for “black” as in people. If anything the blame for that should be on the dub team, but they probably figured people would know they are talking about a character named Black and that people wouldn’t cut a particular dialog segment for comedic purposes like it was done here.

The history of Dragon Ball terrible portrayal of black people can’t be denied tho. Pure fukk shyt. Although it’s gotten better in modern times . Some will say Japan is a pretty homogenous country and attribute DBZ’s negative and stereotypical depiction of black people to being driven by western media portrayal of African Americans and Africa, but I still would like to see someone press Toriyama on this shyt, but them dudes never really leave their safe haven/japan and when they do is for weeb conventions where no one’s gonna press them on this type of shyt

Kenny West

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It’s a Japanese show. There’s a reasonable chance that the literal translatation/character/word used in Japanese isn’t the one used for “black” as in people. If anything the blame for that should be on the dub team, but they probably figured people would know they are talking about a character named Black and that people wouldn’t cut a particular dialog segment for comedic purposes like it was done here.

The history of Dragon Ball terrible portrayal of black people can’t be denied tho. Pure fukk shyt. Although it’s gotten better in modern times . Some will say Japan is a pretty homogenous country and attribute DBZ’s negative and stereotypical depiction of black people to being driven by western media portrayal of African Americans and Africa, but I still would like to see someone press Toriyama on this shyt, but them dudes never really leave their safe haven/japan and when they do is for weeb conventions where no one’s gonna press them on this type of shyt
it really varies from author to author.

Besides if popo is racism on anything it would be indians. His attire and even the whole of kami's lookout is indian influence

There are actual black characters in db and while they're not exaggerated they arent flattering either. It depends on the author and what they're going for at the time

Tbh I've seen mostly fair treatment in black characters in Japanese video games and anime. Even before it became cool to be tolerant in media. If anything authors will protray non japanese characters according to cliches from their native country.

Pizza eating arrogant yet carefree [white] american spouting broken english catchphrases every time he's on screen.

Eccentric and dainty wine drinking french boy

The chinese character is a snake in some way usually living a spyish double life

Kenny West

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
As for the op its just hilariously out of context

Always thought goku black was a wack name anyway