How do boxers build hand speed?

California Burrito

Slangin' Chorizo
Daps
Reppin
619, CA
like others said its genetics. you cant teach speed just like you cant teach power you are either born with it or not. mayweather/khan/roy jones are born with incredible hand speed. jones would shadow box in his pool also shadow boxing with 3 lbs weights helps.

8733615-large.jpg

539206-anthony-mundine.jpg

Daps
Reppin
The Sweet Science
like others said its genetics. you cant teach speed just like you cant teach power you are either born with it or not. mayweather/khan/roy jones are born with incredible hand speed. jones would shadow box in his pool also shadow boxing with 3 lbs weights helps.

8733615-large.jpg

539206-anthony-mundine.jpg

Repetition and proper technique can greatly increase speed and strength it may not put you at an all time great level like a Floyd or Roy but you can noticeably improve all the same

KnockoutKing

Rookie
Daps
Start doing clap push ups
1st start with jump push ups,work you reach 30 reps then
Start with single clap push ups,Once you reach 30 reps
Double clap push ups,once you reach 30 reps
Triple clap push ups,once you reach thirty reps than start with quadruple clap push ups
Once you reach (quadruple)your reflexes and your hand speed will increase by a significant amount

mr. smoke weed

Smoke Album Done......Wait n See #SmokeSquad
Resting in Peace
Daps
Reppin
Chi
Yup, it's pretty much your born with it. BUT, you could do what I would do and use lets say 5-10 lb dumbbell weights in each hand and shadow box. Not even shadow box really, just pick a punch you want to work on and do it over and over with the weight in your hand. That helps some.
Not w 5-10lb weights, you will destroy your form and get ligament damage in your elbow.

Shadowbox w 16oz gloves and hand wraps on. Use resistance bands to do fast twist muscle exercises. Punch, punch, punch, punch and then punch some more.

O.T.I.S.

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
The Truth
5lbs is overdoing it and personally i feel u create bad habits when using that much weight. i wouldn't go over 3lbs, but i use 2lbs dumbells on the regular thats good for strength and speed.
Yeah

I use about 2 pounds. Average boxing glove weighs like a pound or so.

I don't use 5lbs unless I'm just practicing foot movement and keep my hands up for long periods of time.

And speed is definitely a natural thing but you can do shyt like others said in the thread, practicing technique, reducing your motions in throwing a punch, repitition, etc.

I think timing is a lil more important than speed though but to work on both I say invest in speed bag training.

If you can hit a smaller sized speed bag in rapid repitition without using as much energy and force I would say your hand speed is above average

KnockoutKing

Rookie
Daps
Plus speed isn't natural, it can be trained by training the fast twitch muscles in the body

ExodusNirvana

Change is inevitable...
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
Punch Slow...500-1000 punches a day minimum. The heavy bag will not add speed, it adds power.

You might think you're getting speed from the heavy bag but its only because you're hitting the bag a lot.

Think: What if I did'nt have a bag? What would I punch then? Nothing.

So just practice punching combinations...slow...over...and over and over again...