how do you become a better songwriter ?

Raheem95

All Star
Daps
i know how to rap but can't make a song. like i rap and put lines that shouldn't be there if i am doing a song. i'm trying to get to 2Pac level when it comes to songwriting :mjcry::mjcry:

SymbolicOne09

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I dont rap , i produce but i would say with all my beats that i create ill have at least 5 potential choruses/hooks in my head. Swagger jack, nothing wrong if you throw a young jeezy type bar or a twista /future or biggie smalls like bar in your track as long as you focus on honing your style overall.

Write your lyrics when sober and make little adjustments when your faded or vice versa

thekidvoodoo

8-bit
Daps
Look at poetry. Study the ability to say more with less. Then start to treat works as notes. It's not just what you say when it comes to a song, it's how what you said sound. Once you start to get more comfortable with that then you can kind of start seeing how things connect into music even when you're just writing bars.

As you continue making music while looking at all that, I saw focus on the flow first.. Keep it simple, that building block can kind of make it easier to understand how something is pleasing to listeners. Too many people get caught up trying to be lyrical myricals, and are left making wordy trash songs.

Daps
So I'm figuring when you write you get a bank of all the rhyming words you can think of, either mentally or write it down right? Just try to practice thinking how each of the rhymes can relate to one another. Take it one line at a time but think "hmmm... I got the words 'grateful' and 'faithful' ... how do these relate...." and try to come up with something like "maybe I ain't too grateful / cause I'm having a real hard time staying faithful" and bam now you painted a small picture, about a broken relationship, that you can build off of. Okay next word.... idk "anal"... any word that rhymes just try to find a way to relate it "maybe if you was down to do anal, you said it's too painful"

Lol I'm just fukking around I don't really like rhyming words with the same suffix... but you get the gist, just practice relating rhyming words to eachother. A lot of people think the hardest part of rapping is rhyming right, but it's really all the other words in between that makes a great rapper.

Edit: Maybe I ain't too grateful / I'm having a real hard time just staying faithful / It ain't all my fault, you was never down to do anal / Said it was too painful, now I'm the A-hole? I ain't no, half-steppin punk that you think you can play Ho.

lol idk

Last edited:

Taadow

The StarchBishop™️
Daps
Reppin
Crispness
1. Stick with the truth. The way you're living, they way you feel about stuff.
If you really feel it, it will come out.

2. Details.

3. You have to know when to finish a thought and move on, or to continue with the thought.
I say that to say, don't get your mind trapped into thinking you have to write 16-bar verses where
each sequence of 4 bars rhymes with each other.

If you got a line you know you want to start a verse with, but you don't have a line to rhyme it, so what?
Come up with another line, and then rhyme that with the next bar. Write a damn 28-bar verse. Why? Why not?
The rules are there ain't no rules.