How Old Is TOO Old To Get Involved In Combat Sports?

desjardins

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Mustard Island
I started boxing when I was 28. I wasn't try go pro though. I don't know too much about MMA professional careers but 22 is probably on the verge of being too old to BEGIN boxing seriously

darealvelle

Real Talk
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Boxing is a hell no at your age, but mma you are good. Boxing you needed to start real young or have natural fighting ability.

ViShawn

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Just do it. I did martial arts in high school and didn't start back with martial arts until I was 28. I competed in an amateur bout, a smoker, and bjj tournamets between 30 and 32. Even if I didn't compete I learned a valuable life skill. It's never to early to learn and get in shape.

Daps
im gonna start at 26 with terrible knees joints etc:yeshrug:

Kung fu, Ju Jitsu and regular MMA training

not gonna compete professionally obviously but it would help when I get jumped again

I once had a school fight in 10th grade that was similar to an MMA fight but I was wearing glasses that got knocked off and a rucksack and I still beat the fukk out of dude for trying to bully me.

He tried a takedown that got turned into me putting him in a neck lock he looked like he couldn't breathe so I let go we stood back up. Dude was actually stronger than me though
I finished him with a kick to the chest/abdomen when I saw him bent over:dame: after we got back on our feet

everyone was so surprised because I used to wear glasses back then, people never fought one on one and no one fought with that intensity at that school. Couple months later I got jumped by 3 cats still held my own though because I gave one of them the finger because he made a :mjpls: comment... I broke my ring finger in that altercation. These Arabs are very sensitive to swearing even if it's not about their parents.

Oh and in 2014 I got jumped by some cacs who attempted to rob me while :drunk:

Last edited:

NinoBrown

Veteran
Daps
Whatever you do, you will learn to remain calm under pressure which I think is probably an additional benefit to the self-defense/combat aspect.

While you are getting tagged or in a bad spot, you will learn to control your heart rate and breathing, there is nothing like it.

On the street, fortunately I never had to use it (avoiding legal troubles if I can tbh) because my body, posture, and eye contact tell the story.

HabitualChiller

Enjoying a Long Night of Solace✌
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Somewhere on an Xbox
If you mean boxing, then you need to be a naturally gifted fighter at that age.

I have quick hands and feet (can't use them hoes at all though:mjlol:)and plenty of power at the Featherweight spot. If you have these 3, then you won't be at that much of a disadvantage.

NormanConnors

Detroit/MSU Spartan Life
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Nate Campbell didn't start boxing until 28, and he eventually became the unified Lightweight champion :yeshrug:

You're at an uphill battle, but it's not impossible :porter:
Nate had natural hands/a gift though, cats that worked with him on the job encouraged him to pursue boxing. I could be wrong though/ I remember they interviewed him back when he first started getting burn/fights on ESPN :patrice: