In boxing, when are you supposed to use the basic guard?

Sylar

Pro
Daps
keep both hands up if you dont want to get caught sleeping with a punch. Dont keep them too high and make sure your shoulders are fully relaxed while your guard is up so you dont strain them and tire easily

reservoirdogs

Superstar
Daps
I personally like the basic guard, the sit down version when I want to rush in and the low hang guard from those pictured there

whether I use the low hang guard or the basic depends on the opponent too, like how powerful he is, how fast he is, what's his style, etc...

I generally don't like the high guard, only turn to it when it's very necessary. It blocks my vision, don't see what the opponent is about to throw and I give free space for them to lead an offense on me.
I like Philly Shell too but that's rather for people who are more advanced in boxing... Like, I can do it too but not very good yet. I do like to use my shoulder to block/parry a lot though that's a great move imo. You still have your vision, you are not squared up so it's easier to move while you are using it and you can counter more easily.

krackdagawd

Inspire.
Daps
Reppin
Another Gold Medal
fam in boxing you have to find out what works for you drill the basics non stop and then add your personal sauce to it.......personally I use high guard when im at a range just outside of the jab in case the they step w it if im fighting an orthodox fighter. If im fighting a southpaw im keeping that high guard damn near at all ranges against them annoying nikkas :martin:

But when im in mid to close range I drop it to bait them so I can come over the top, if im on the inside my lead hand is by my chest area and im in a normal stance in case i need to do a quick step to get out of trouble

The Fukin Prophecy

RIP Champ
Daps
keep both hands up if you dont want to get caught sleeping with a punch. Dont keep them too high and make sure your shoulders are fully relaxed while your guard is up so you dont strain them and tire easily
This

Number one rule is protect yourself at all times...

Lax defense = get caught