In Defense of Black Republicans

Discussion in 'Higher Learning' started by theworldismine13, Dec 23, 2012.

1. theworldismine13

theworldismine13 God Emperor

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    Arrakis
    Coli Cash:
    $1345000

Maya Rupert: In Defense of Black Republicans

4 people dapped this.
  2. NZA

NZA Escobar Season Supporter

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    a dry and wack place
    Coli Cash:
    $345000

i agree that blanket statements of uncle tomism are troubling, i suggest that all people who are about to label another person a tom must present evidence, or at least a well thought out argument, maybe even two witnesses

6 people dapped this.
  3. The Real

The Real Anti-Ignorance

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    NYC
    Coli Cash:
    $345000

She's got a point about white, liberal condecension. It's wrong to attack someone's Blackness simply due to their political orientation, and especially wrong for white people to do so in most (not all) circumstances.

That being said, Black people can indeed question Black Republicans' commitment to Black issues, which is very different from questioning their Blackness, whenever they want, and criticize them for it. It is a factual statement that Republicans care little about Black people and Black issues, and that most of them support agendas that further disenfranchises Black communities and individuals in many ways, so any Black Republican is going to get scrutiny from Black folks. It's also a factual statement that people can be misled about the means that will get them to the ends they desire, which can be the case with Black Republicans, too, and in that case, there's nothing wrong with correcting them.

Tim Scott is not pro-Black and won't do any good for Black people, so fukk him.

13 people dapped this.
  4. No_bammer_weed

No_bammer_weed Catchin plays.. Catchin plays!!!

Daps Received:
    Coli Cash:
    $282141

I think you're being far too kind here. Anti-Black narratives center the republican party. That isnt debatable. This is expressed by the behavior of high profile black republicans, who more often than not adopt and express crude white supremacist oriented views. See: Larry Elder, Clarence Thomas, "Reverend" Jesse Lee Peterson, Thomas Sowell, Ward Connerly, etc. Why is it so rare for a black republican to articulate white racism?

5. The Real

The Real Anti-Ignorance

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    NYC
    Coli Cash:
    $345000

Well I was trying to walk the line between just calling all Black conservatives bamboozled/Toms on one hand, and just saying it's an open and equal playing field and that Black Republicans on the whole are a legitimate bloc.

I agree fully with everything in your post. I don't think it's debatable that the Republican party is anti-Black, and yes... more anti-Black than the dems.

6. theworldismine13

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    Arrakis
    Coli Cash:
    $1345000

i dont think its debatable that white racists are comfortable in the republican party, but i think its highly debatable whether black people should go along with the democratic policy prescriptions

i think thats where imo black people have gone off the rails, regardless of how racist republicans are it doesnt follow that black people need to ride or die for the democratic party or their policy ideas

we know for sure that tim scott will not be supporting the democratic agenda....but what exactly is this "black agenda" that he is being accused of not supporting and who made this "black agenda"

methinks there is some intellectual stagnation going on here

8 people dapped this.
  7. The Real

The Real Anti-Ignorance

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    NYC
    Coli Cash:
    $345000

Fair points, but I think it's not just that the GOP is a haven for racists- it's that those racists have actively managed to direct large aspects of the GOP platform for many decades. Thus, the GOP's standard agenda is itself tainted. It's not a matter of bad apples. Anyone who supports those policies which have contributed to the dereliction of the Black community since Reagan is thus participating in an anti-Black agenda. Tim Scott supports many of those policies.

It's also not a matter of a Black agenda, but of explicit anti-Blackness.

6 people dapped this.
  8. theworldismine13

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    Arrakis
    Coli Cash:
    $1345000

Yeah but the GOP is an institution just like any other racist american institution and its a totally legit tactic for black people to increase the number of blacks in the GOP just like we fight to get into other racist institutions, just because an institution is racist doesn't mean that the correct strategy is to avoid the institution, that why I wonder who exactly is making this strategy that says we are suppose to have beef with Tim Scott

It seems to me the black agenda would be to have blacks in both parties, and democrats have had policies and that have led to the "dereliction of the black community" so it's the same difference

2 people dapped this.
  9. 88m3

88m3 Fast Money & Foreign Objects

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    Brooklyn
    Coli Cash:
    $1328766

male witnesses

[​IMG]

1 person dapped this.
  10. CACtain Planet

CACtain Planet The Power is YOURS!

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    CACness Aberdeen
    Coli Cash:
    $347124

And How exactly has the democrats furthered this "black agenda"? Increased food stamps?:heh:

3 people dapped this.
  11. The Real

The Real Anti-Ignorance

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    NYC
    Coli Cash:
    $345000

Why do yall keep referring to a "Black agenda" when I never used that term in my post?

And why do you assume that stating the simple, empirical fact that Republicans are explicitly anti-black means means you're endorsing falling in line with the Democrats?

And yes, Democrats have done more for Black people than Republicans. That doesn't mean Democrats have been great or even good to Black people or that Black people owe them anything.

4 people dapped this.
  12. Serious

Serious Superstar

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    N/A
    Coli Cash:
    $136749

For the most part,, this article raises some valid points. Theoretically individuals shouldn't vow a lifetime allegiance to one political party / philosophy, but rather make wise decisions based on the most fit candidate for office.

Now, due to the powers that "currently" be, it's exceptionally impossible to entrust any faith in the republican constituency. Notice how the dying(literally) rethug party, profoundly protest, against legislation, most beneficial to members of their organization, but due to their party's underlying philosophy, they'd rather alienate themselves.

:heh:
    [​IMG]

13. 88m3

88m3 Fast Money & Foreign Objects

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    Brooklyn
    Coli Cash:
    $1328766

those red states/counties sure are blue

:smugfavre:

5 people dapped this.
  14. Serious

Serious Superstar

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    N/A
    Coli Cash:
    $136749

:ohhh:

15. theworldismine13

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    Arrakis
    Coli Cash:
    $1345000

i wasnt talking about you specifically, but you used the term pro-black which i think its interchangeable with the pro "black agenda"

thats not an assumption, its an observation that ive made about black politics, and the problem is that black politicians and commentators dont make a real analysis about whether policies advocated by democrats are actually good for black people

and im not sure why that is a wrong assumption anyway, there are only 2 parties, so when you say the gop is racist and black people should denounce them, then you are implicitly saying that black people should vote for democrats, unless you explicitly say that you are not endorsing democrats, i think that its totally rational assumption

there are 2 issues with this

1) i assume you are speaking about post 1965
    2) personally i think we have reached a point where are goal isnt really to see which party has done more for black people, i think at this point our goal should to be forces in both parties, which will make black people a force generally, so i dont really care which party has done more for black people