In retrospect was DayZ fumbled?

Rice N Beans

Junior Hayley Stan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago, IL
Yes. Perpetual beta/early access is a killer. Unless you have a giant release party for 1.0 hard to come back.

Secondly, the game is super buggy. Development these days really underhand how frustrating it is to have to struggle with performance issues from the engine or server. It's worse than getting stomped early on. With performance issues there's no eventual skill gain to get past it. It'll always be shyt and rob you if they don't fix it.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
Rocket left, and BI seems like they didn't invest enough in it

they still working on it though :yeshrug:

At30wecashout

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
:rocky:Bruh. Its been in development hell for years. I got it shortly after it dropped. Its been functionally the same since. It opened the floodgates for
Zombie survival games that NEVER get finished, and they took in a ton of money on that project. The motivation to finish it is gone. Worst purchase ever, and i've
spent bread on stupid shyt.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
here's the latest status report from last week:

Steam Community :: Group Announcements :: DayZ

it just seems like the bit off a lot trying to make this 'ultimate survival game'. Rocket had all these crazy ideas about purifying water, infectious diseases, and all types of 'too-realistic' shyt. they've also been trying to remove a lot of the jank from the game and engine. Arma never really cared about things like animations when you open a door

idk, I try to be optimistic that someday it will be worth playing again. I had tons of fun playing the Arma 2 mod, even with ridiculous shyt like waiting 10 minutes just to join a server. it also got me into Arma in general

like I said before, I'm not sure if BI (Bohemia Interactive) just didn't throw enough money/people at the project. I think more than anything the game has just changed scope too many times since it was released into EA (Early Access). at first Rocket was saying that they were basically just gonna polish up the mod a little, and put that out, but at some point they realized they need to 'do it right'. but that meant they had to create a new engine (and more), after the game had been released into EA

a lot of this has to do with people's expectations of Early Access games. plenty of games have been in development longer than DayZ, but they're being developed behind closed doors, so the public isn't impatiently waiting for a finished product (that they already spent money on). I think at some point people need to blame themselves for jumping on a hype-train, and buying something that wasn't being advertised as a finished product. but I also think BI should have had a more focused vision of the scope of the project, before they released it into EA

Knowledge

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Uh yeah. I've played it since the mod days and that shyt has been in alpha since then. This is like 2010

Plus anyone who wanted to buy it has already purchased it so what's the point of investing anymore time and money into it

Last edited:

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
here's the latest status report from last week:

Steam Community :: Group Announcements :: DayZ

it just seems like the bit off a lot trying to make this 'ultimate survival game'. Rocket had all these crazy ideas about purifying water, infectious diseases, and all types of 'too-realistic' shyt. they've also been trying to remove a lot of the jank from the game and engine. Arma never really cared about things like animations when you open a door

idk, I try to be optimistic that someday it will be worth playing again. I had tons of fun playing the Arma 2 mod, even with ridiculous shyt like waiting 10 minutes just to join a server. it also got me into Arma in general

like I said before, I'm not sure if BI (Bohemia Interactive) just didn't throw enough money/people at the project. I think more than anything the game has just changed scope too many times since it was released into EA (Early Access). at first Rocket was saying that they were basically just gonna polish up the mod a little, and put that out, but at some point they realized they need to 'do it right'. but that meant they had to create a new engine (and more), after the game had been released into EA

a lot of this has to do with people's expectations of Early Access games. plenty of games have been in development longer than DayZ, but they're being developed behind closed doors, so the public isn't impatiently waiting for a finished product (that they already spent money on). I think at some point people need to blame themselves for jumping on a hype-train, and buying something that wasn't being advertised as a finished product. but I also think BI should have had a more focused vision of the scope of the project, before they released it into EA

People gotta stop letting these game devs dupe them into buying unfinished games. This crowdfunding, early access era is trash.