Is gold jewelry a wise investment?

NeilCartwright

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Im takin going to Kay jewelers (or somewhere similar) and getting say a 14k gold watch, bracelet or necklace?

I turned 22 last month and basically got my first "adult" job a few months ago.

Realistically I'd get a nice necklace (not chain) and either a gold bracket or watch. Not gaudy jewelry, something light I can possibly get in my early 20's and still have it 30 yrs from now.

Should I look into it or just keep my money? I already shop at thrift stores:manny:no car payments and I already have a budget for rent/food

Flychologist

All Star
Daps
A terrible terrible investment. Jewelry value drops damn near 90% if you have to resell it. Watches keep decent value though but straight jewelry not so much.

NeilCartwright

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
A terrible terrible investment. Jewelry value drops damn near 90% if you have to resell it. Watches keep decent value though but straight jewelry not so much.

Even gold? I would think a 14k gold necklace would hold it's value over the years:patrice:

So you're telling me these necklaces, bracelets, etc Depreciate in value over the years? This may be an ignorant question then why even buy jewelry then, just to flex?
th

I have a friend who got a 14k gold bracelet like the one in the pic, but its about half the width of the one shown. Even something like that depreciates:why:

BaldingSoHard

Veteran
Daps
If you want to invest in precious metals, jewelry probably isn't the best way to go about it. Look into gold coins if you're interested in an investment. Gold would be a good investment to buy right now, btw.

definition

im not a cool guy anymore
Daps
Even gold? I would think a 14k gold necklace would hold it's value over the years:patrice:

So you're telling me these necklaces, bracelets, etc Depreciate in value over the years? This may be an ignorant question then why even buy jewelry then, just to flex?:why:

Can't tell you about depreciation ... But you pay an enormous markup on jewelry. So even if it held its real "value" per ounce, you'd have already paid more to buy it.

No idea why people buy it. All I know is I don't.

unit321

Hong Kong Phooey
Daps
Reppin
USA
Im takin going to Kay jewelers (or somewhere similar) and getting say a 14k gold watch, bracelet or necklace?
I turned 22 last month and basically got my first "adult" job a few months ago.
Realistically I'd get a nice necklace (not chain) and either a gold bracket or watch. Not gaudy jewelry, something light I can possibly get in my early 20's and still have it 30 yrs from now.

Should I look into it or just keep my money? I already shop at thrift stores:manny:no car payments and I already have a budget for rent/food
Depends.
If the value of gold goes up in the future, then you can sell it at a profit.
It's about timing. If someone bought gold jewelry back in the 90s and then sold it at peak prices during the early 2010s, then they would have made money. If you bought gold at its peak n the 2010s and then sold it now where the value of gold has gone down, you would lose money.