Is It Possible For Everybody To Have A Job?

rantanamo

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Even in an indigenous society, by the loosest definintion of employment, everyone is not employed. Even in a communist country, even in a capitalist society, there is an efficient number of unemployed. Why? because there needs to be a need for new employees or there is stagnation. What will be more interesting is if we will ever reach 0% unemployment by our definition of employment. Technology may allow it to become close at some point. Always been curious to know if there has ever been an sci-fi talking about such a future. Star Trek is probably the only thing I can think of that even addresses something close.

OsO

Souldier
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
if we worked 4 days and were off 3 days, there would be more than enough employment for everyone to :eat:

mbewane

Knicks: 93 til infinity
Daps
Reppin
Paris, France
Impossible, if everyone has a job what happens to the people working at the unemployment office :ohhh:

:pachaha:

It's actually sad, but the "unemployment market" is so big in Belgium that it's all but sure that they are not doing their job well...in order to keep their job, if you see what I mean.

Still missing the point.

Employment is a contract between employer and employee. You, as employee, contribute labor and knowledge to an undertaking of your employer. You perform specific duties which are part of a JOB.

That's not the same as growing your own food to live and hunting a buffalo. You are not "employed" by anyone to do that. You just have to do it.

How this is not common knowledge is mind-boggling.

Anyway to answer the question, no. "Full employment" actually usually means a 3-4 % unemployment ratio I think (it was called "residual" unemployment when I studied, in french), due to youngsters ending school and transitionning to the labor market, people looking for better opportunities, people from an old kind of industry (coal, for example) who have to adapt to the newer ones, people pursuing another interest at that precise moment, people being laid off by struggling companies etc. It wouldn't even necessarily be good for the economy, if there are too few available employees, wages will go up which can lead to inflation. Capitalism needs a "buffer".

rapbeats

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Still missing the point.

Employment is a contract between employer and employee. You, as employee, contribute labor and knowledge to an undertaking of your employer. You perform specific duties which are part of a JOB.

That's not the same as growing your own food to live and hunting a buffalo. You are not "employed" by anyone to do that. You just have to do it.
you're still missing the OVERALL point.

it doesnt matter what the pay is or who's paying. I need FOOD & shelter.

back in the day i would go GET my own food and shelter.

now i PAY for my own food and shelter.

but yet there's one constant i work for it.

no matter how you spin it. its WORK.

Beast

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL
For economists 5% is considered full employment.

With our current working population being about 155-160 million that would mean that 8 million are expected to be jobless even when the economy is considered good

TheBigBopper

Banned
Daps
No. Some people, for whatever reason (physically, mentally, emotionally, etc) are unable to maintain work for a substantial period of time. I remember from my labor economics class that economists estimate these people make up like ~5% of the population.

stealthbomber

cruising at 30,000
Daps
Reppin
the best coast
In economics terms, no. Full employment = ~6% unemployment in the U.S. Could be different now, that number was pre-Great Recession.

its ~4% now

to answer the thread, not really. even if we took away minimum wage the unemployment rate would realistically drop to about 2-3%.

CurrencyChase

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Ohio, Iowa, & Minnesota
What time in history have the most people been employed at the same time?

its possible but we would have to abandon the monetary system completely. And base our society on a community service system and educational system. a society where learning and education of the mind is the most important aspect. everyone after a certain age would work 20 hours a week to support their community only. that way, everyone would have a job, while spending most of their time educating themselves and their families. technology and only using what we need is part of the everyday infrastructure.

Majestic Pape

The-Coli = W SOHH = L
Daps
I guess it's TECHNICALLY possible but I can't imagine a world where EVERYONE wanted to work anyway.

To be frank, I don't want to work at all, and the day I find a way to NOT work and still live a decent (not great, just decent) life is the day I will never look for a job again.