IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:lupe:

So I want to get into this field brehs.. Where should I start?

I graduated last May with one of the most worthless degrees out here..
Multidisciplinary Studies. :snoop:
As you can imagine, employers haven't been knocking down my door so I'm thinking I need a change sooner than later.

I'm very interested in pursuing the cyber security space. Should I go back to school for this. My local community college has a 2 year program for cyber security.
Or would I be better off studying on my own and then taking the cert exams? Any advice would be appreciated.

I've never heard of anyone going straight into cyber security before. Usually you start out doing either Networking or Systems Administration first. You won't understand how to secure anything if you haven't maintained these systems before and understand how they work internally.

Saint1

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CA
Just got an IT Job. It doesn't pay much but the experience and the potential for growth are more than worth it. If you're trying to get in here's what I've been told, experienced and am figuring out.

What most starting IT jobs is tech support and setup. Which means you'll be installing software and hardware and troubleshooting. Honestly 90% of doing the job is experience and recognizing problems. Even then, every day is a new problem so you have to figure things out. Imagine yourself as a digital Sherlock Holmes you get clues but the might not point in the right direction.

The best way to start getting some experience is to build yourself a test lab (or a virtual network of computers)

Test Lab:

1) Build a computer that can handle virtualization.
a)download VirtualBox from Oracle it's free (this is the program to make virtual networks)
b) Get your old college e-mail or borrow a friends.
c) Dreamspark.com. You can download a number of Microsoft programs using a college e-mail. This is FREE. Mainly (Server 2012 R2, Windows 8.1 Industry Pro)
d) Figure out how to make all this work. No hints from me. I'm serious, this is basically IT Engineering. You're setting up a network, figure it out. Use Google. Understand why things don't work and then make them work.
e) Later once it's set up figure out how to install a program on your Admin computer and push those installations so they can be used on the other computers. This is a basic thing you need to know how to do. Configure when things can and should be installed.
f) Other things to learn. Group Policies, Security Features, Printer Management, Active Directoy, Exchange, etc. Look at the MCSA 70-687 requirements and bascially become familiar with all of those.

Job Help:

2) Get your Certs/Degree:
A+ helped me get hired. I have a degree in English. Become very familiar with Win 8.1 (Pro and Enterprise) and Server 2008 R2 and 2012 R2. You can get certified in those as well but just remember you can be certified but if you can't describe how any of this works in an interview you'll be exposed REAL quick. My managers turned down a guy who had higher Certs than I did because he just passed the tests but couldn't talk his way through anything.

From what I'm understanding, in most corporate environments, a degree will help you get promoted later in the future, so might as well knock that out when you're younger.

The other part is to get in a with a good job with a good environment. Maybe I'm lucky or maybe it was my standards but I turned down an IT job because the site just seemed unorganized. I know it seems crazy to just turn down an entry level job. My new job called me as I was going through the interview process with the unorganized job and from the first moment I walked in I knew I made the right choice. The added benefit is there are many people around me who are very willing to teach me and help me out. This is key as I will be getting years of experience in a much shorter time and if I stay with the company in the future or move on I will have learned A TON, as opposed to just being a regular desk tech just learning on my own. Obviously, this is very hard to control but if you see it, take it.

I know this is VERY Windows specific but with the clients I am working with, 99% of them use Windows. Linux is higher and rarer. You'll mostly likely deal with that when you start moving up. Microsoft is poised to crush buildings with Win 10 and their Server programs have been running things. So study up on M$.

Again the software I'm listing is FREE. this is the best way to learn. It beats actually buying actual machines because companies now are embracing virtualization because it cuts down on costs for the company and makes things very manageable from a Sys Admin standpoint. I'm new to this whole thing but from my understanding this is what you'll need to know and what you'll be working with.

Persistence and Patience, Brehs.

Good luck.

D1renegade

All Star
Daps
Reppin
OK
I've never heard of anyone going straight into cyber security before. Usually you start out doing either Networking or Systems Administration first. You won't understand how to secure anything if you haven't maintained these systems before and understand how they work internally.

Yeah I figured I wouldn't be able to jump into cyber security right away.. But that is my end goal currently. I'm just trying to figure out how to take my first steps towards an entry level position. The community college I'm looking at has A+ and Net+ prep courses, so I'm leaning towards that right now.

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yeah I figured I wouldn't be able to jump into cyber security right away.. But that is my end goal currently. I'm just trying to figure out how to take my first steps towards an entry level position. The community college I'm looking at has A+ and Net+ prep courses, so I'm leaning towards that right now.

How much are the courses and how long would they take to complete? I wouldn't go deep into debt for those certifications because entry level jobs don't pay squat. You can probably get both of those certifications through a few months of self-study.

Saint1

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CA
How much are the courses and how long would they take to complete? I wouldn't go deep into debt for those certifications because entry level jobs don't pay squat. You can probably get both of those certifications through a few months of self-study.
QFT

D1renegade

All Star
Daps
Reppin
OK

:ohhh:

The program I was looking at is 36 hours.. Since I'm about to start working full time it would take me about 2 years to finish it.

But you and @Saint1 are saying I can get these certs in under 1 year!? That sounds much better than going through this program and taking classes I don't really need. What kind of resources do you brehs recommend?

Saint, you mentioned building a test lab.. I have access to 2 macs but I think Windows is where a lot of this IT stuff goes down? Should I look for a cheap laptop and use that for my lab?

Saint1

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CA
:ohhh:

The program I was looking at is 36 hours.. Since I'm about to start working full time it would take me about 2 years to finish it.

But you and @Saint1 are saying I can get these certs in under 1 year!? That sounds much better than going through this program and taking classes I don't really need. What kind of resources do you brehs recommend?

Saint, you mentioned building a test lab.. I have access to 2 macs but I think Windows is where a lot of this IT stuff goes down? Should I look for a cheap laptop and use that for my lab?

Yes and no.

There's two A+ tests you have to take. I ONLY used this book. . It's cheap explains things quick and has two tests in the back plus a cram sheet.

A+ is the basics of computers. It helps a lot if you've had experience obviously and it clarifies a lot of things.

If you know the answers to these questions you're good to get this book and can pass the test:

Do you know the difference between memory and hard disk space? (a lot of people interchange the two and if you do, I'd question your commitment)
Do you know what an IP is?
What are USB, PCI, PCI-E, network card, LAN, ethernet, router, modem, PSU,motherboard, GB, MB, DSL, dial-up,broadband?
What is HTTP? (not what it stands for but what is it used for?)
Have you looked at the inside of a computer?
Can you spend at least an hour or two a day just reading this book?
Do you spend your free time using a computer?

I hit the book hard for like 2 months and passed. But I've built my own computer and generally have a love of computers and technology. I can't recite everything in the book but I have a general overview of computers and windows.

A cheap laptop may hold you back on creating a virtual lab. Understand that a virtual lab is going to run other full computers in your laptop. How well do you think a laptop will hold up running itself, a browser, and at least two virtual computers both running windows inside of it, all at the same time? I recommend building a decent desktop with a good processor and a lot of memory (about 16 GB). The desktop will be cheaper and you'll be able to upgrade it and continue running virtual servers later when you go for other certs.

D1renegade

All Star
Daps
Reppin
OK
Yes and no.

There's two A+ tests you have to take. I ONLY used this book. . It's cheap explains things quick and has two tests in the back plus a cram sheet.

A+ is the basics of computers. It helps a lot if you've had experience obviously and it clarifies a lot of things.

If you know the answers to these questions you're good to get this book and can pass the test:

Do you know the difference between memory and hard disk space? (a lot of people interchange the two and if you do, I'd question your commitment)
Do you know what an IP is?
What are USB, PCI, PCI-E, network card, LAN, ethernet, router, modem, PSU,motherboard, GB, MB, DSL, dial-up,broadband?
What is HTTP? (not what it stands for but what is it used for?)
Have you looked at the inside of a computer?
Can you spend at least an hour or two a day just reading this book?
Do you spend your free time using a computer?

I hit the book hard for like 2 months and passed. But I've built my own computer and generally have a love of computers and technology. I can't recite everything in the book but I have a general overview of computers and windows.

A cheap laptop may hold you back on creating a virtual lab. Understand that a virtual lab is going to run other full computers in your laptop. How well do you think a laptop will hold up running itself, a browser, and at least two virtual computers both running windows inside of it, all at the same time? I recommend building a decent desktop with a good processor and a lot of memory (about 16 GB). The desktop will be cheaper and you'll be able to upgrade it and continue running virtual servers later when you go for other certs.

I appreciate this breh. I have a decent understanding of computers so I don't think I'll have an issue with the test.

I've always been :ohhh: when I hear people say they've built PC's. I don't even know what that process looks like but I'm going to start researching it. The most I've done is replace the hdd and upgrade the ram on my MacBook pro. I think I'll slowly begin to look for pieces for a desktop. In the meantime, I'm going to focus on knocking out the A+ cert. Hopefully I'll have it by the end of April.

Saint1

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CA
I appreciate this breh. I have a decent understanding of computers so I don't think I'll have an issue with the test.

I've always been :ohhh: when I hear people say they've built PC's. I don't even know what that process looks like but I'm going to start researching it. The most I've done is replace the hdd and upgrade the ram on my MacBook pro. I think I'll slowly begin to look for pieces for a desktop. In the meantime, I'm going to focus on knocking out the A+ cert. Hopefully I'll have it by the end of April.
that's probably harder than building a PC. I swear to J-Hova I built my first PC at like 25 and thinking "wow Lego's were way harder than this." April seems like a good timeline. Post in here when you nail that test, Breh. Good luck. :salute:

Mook

We should all strive to be like Mr. Rogers.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh
Fellas. I been hearing that the A+ and Network+ cert is garbage, but that the security+ is still good.

Criticize my plan:

I just got fired from my jobs not one hour ago brehs :to: Thinking of putting an ad on craiglist to help fix computers for non profits and build my experience and resume that way. Get the security+ cert and try the windows server cert too. What you guys think?

Romell

Superstar
Daps
Does it matter where you get your Degree in Information Technology. I go to the University of Baltimore, so what are the job prospects for me? Im also on a student visa.

http://www.ubalt.edu/cas/undergradu...nformation-technology/degree-requirements.cfm
Not really. My tech-lead at my first job out of college went to University of Phoenix and he was a CCIE Voice. Being in Baltimore you are in a good enough location to have plenty of job prospects from Bmore down to Richmond.

How many years in are you? Start working towards a cert in your desired area so you'll have that on your resume with your degree. They'll be like "did you get that as part of your school program or in your free-time", and you can hit them with getting it done in your free-time and that'll get you extra points.

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL
Fellas. I been hearing that the A+ and Network+ cert is garbage, but that the security+ is still good.

Criticize my plan:

I just got fired from my jobs not one hour ago brehs :to: Thinking of putting an ad on craiglist to help fix computers for non profits and build my experience and resume that way. Get the security+ cert and try the windows server cert too. What you guys think?

Why you get fired?