Jay-z-4:44[Official Music Video]

Clapsteel O'Neal

put a red dot on your head like a hindu
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Not trying to son you, just thought that post was so ironic it legit made me laugh

Far as your interpretation goes, its well enough thought out...has a bunch of open ended unanswered questions though and a bunch of scenes don't fit into your concept at all though (random joyous dancing for instance isn't a depiction of black dysfunction, quite the contrary I'd argue) ....and ultimately we don't actually know for sure what exactly meant by the video until the director or jay explains...which for a music video would fit the very definition of convoluted....and I don't even think that's a bad thing, it's more interesting than a clear cut straight to the point clip

my bad broski, i'm more used to being in straight battle mode on this forum :russ:

the first bolded is where we'll have to agree to disagree because imo throughout history black people have always been told to just sing and dance when in pain. that's a dysfunctional dynamic. case in point from past to present, how the black church is structured and recently protestors using kendrick's 'alright' song as a soundtrack to their marches. and he specifically chose those meme videos because people laughed at them rather than cheered them on. they were seen as minstrels first before great dancers. and when he cuts to those professional dancers they do specific things like the woman at one points holds her gold chain up as if it's a noose

the second bolded doesn't make sense. you're using the word convoluted when you actually mean abstract. something being difficult to follow and bogged down in itself is never a good thing. even though in essence what we're arguing about is semantics, that's important because the word convoluted has negative connotations by definition.

Last edited:

OG Talk

Archived
Daps
Reppin
Heaven on Earth
Video seems pretty self explanatory

"Our love was supposed to be one for the ages, and I contained us in all this ratchet shyt"

Seems just to be a visual of that line..

Thatrogueassdiaz

We're on the blood path now
Daps
Reppin
Center self, inner self
It's not a convoluted mess and this is coming from someone who is NOT a jigga stan, i have never ever referred to him as hov cos i'm not calling another male god, and i don't like 4:44 too much. this video is actually pretty succint in getting its ideas across.

in laments, all of the imagery that's being used is to show various forms of black dysfunction and how it is being consumed by the public as entertainment...the lowest level being the collage of viral social media clips and the highest (in jay-z's mind) his relationship with his wife. from dusty street corner to a stadium arena, black dysfunction, whether it be couples fighting, friends fighting, family gatherings, just walking around, dancing or being on a fuccin train it's all 'great entertainment'. and we play into it by one, encouraging this behaviour by giving fame to these people and secondly us always, always choosing to be the 'entertainers' for others no matter what the situation is. He's not even dissing the people in the clips but actually dissing the viewer for finding entertainment in the dysfunction of black love, relationships, family and community.

the mish mash of viral clips to interview clips (basquiat) to performance clips (the soul singers and jigga himself) is just a way to illustrate that in all facets of contemporary culture black pain and dysfunction (in the relationships that we have with each other) is always regarded as suitable for others entertainment and we're encouraged to keep it dysfunctional because its profitable and a way to become rich and famous...and its been like that since we were soul singers to fine artists to viral superstars....from black and white tv's to vine clips...its still the same sh1te...and even in the future it'll still be the same sh1t (the black robot)

and the use of a whole bunch of different visual language from amateur to professional is an attempt to further hit it home to the audience how absolute and widespread this dynamic is between black people and modern culture

however, one thing i will say he didn't do well is present whether he thinks this is a bad or good thing...he put up the mirror to the audience but didn't state whether he thinks it'd be better to break this cycle or just continue, but at least be privy to what we're doing and then fully capitalise off of it.

at least that's what I believe it's about flexing all my art degree muscles :russ:
Very good analysis, my friend

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
Just seen this :mjlol: why the fukk is that Solo Lucci nikka in this video :gucci:

This shyt get extra weird too definitely artsy Euro Hov in full effect :scusthov: