Just got my credit score back

Geek Nasty

Brain Knowledgeably Whizzy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
South Kakalaka
What’s the best way to keep track of your credit? Best protection?

Write or call the 3 big credit bureaus. By law, they have to each give you one long form version of your credit report annually. When I was cleaning up my credit, I hated calling because they wouold always blow off responding to requests. If it's in writing, that scares them because they know it's a legal now. I would always send copies of my requests too so they knew I had the original.

PoorAndDangerous

Superstar
Daps
What’s the best way to keep track of your credit? Best protection?
You can pull one free report from each on annualcreditreport.com or you can use things like credit karma. Caveat to credit karma is that their score they give you is always higher than when a financial institution pulls it because they use a different scoring system but it does show you what is on your report or you can use those features on your credit card app that you can check your fico. Best way to protect your credit is to place credit freezes on all 3 credit bureaus. That way if anyone tries to pull your credit they can't and they have to call you to have you remove the freeze before they can proceed.

PoorAndDangerous

Superstar
Daps
Write or call the 3 big credit bureaus. By law, they have to each give you one long form version of your credit report annually. When I was cleaning up my credit, I hated calling because they wouold always blow off responding to requests. If it's in writing, that scares them because they know it's a legal now. I would always send copies of my requests too so they knew I had the original.
Don't have to call, can get them from annualcreditreport.com

After getting into the lending part of banking its amazing how fukking uninformed people are about credit. Why is stuff like this not taught in high school. To have good credit all you need to do is make all your payments on time. Length of time that credit lines have been opened is important so try not to close credit cards out. Try to not let your balance get close to the limit of your card or cards, you're utilizing too much credit. We loan officers look at that when we're making a decision. You pay your shyt on time and have lines of credit open with low utilization you're good. If you're trying to repair your credit, pay any charge off or collection accounts that you have. We will decline people for having one collection or change off or if you have multiple late payments without a proper explanation. Only thing we don't care about are medical collections because everyone has them. But they do affect your credit score so you need to pay them or dispute them and get them off of there.