tru_m.a.c

IC veteran
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Gaithersburg, MD via Queens/LI
merlin_136800999_946ecd35-7a9d-4484-9fad-0e1bd5971193-master768.jpg

WICHITA, Kan. — Federal jurors convicted three men on Wednesday of plotting to blow up an apartment complex where Somali refugees live and pray in Garden City, Kan. The domestic terrorism verdict came at a time when threats against religious and racial minorities are rising nationally, and the case drew interest from the highest levels of the Justice Department.

“The defendants in this case acted with clear premeditation in an attempt to kill people on the basis of their religion and national origin,” Attorney General Jeff Sessions said in a statement. “That’s not just illegal — it’s immoral and unacceptable, and we’re not going to stand for it.”

The men, Curtis Allen, Gavin Wright and Patrick Stein, all of whom are white, appeared stoic as the verdicts were read at the federal courthouse in Wichita. Defense lawyers had tried to convince jurors that their clients were manipulated by the F.B.I., and had been unfairly targeted for exercising their rights to own guns and speak freely.

“He was a member of a militia. He loved his guns. This was a lifestyle,” Melody Brannon, a lawyer for Mr. Allen, told the mostly white jury. “The government tried to criminalize that lifestyle.”

The trial, which played out over about a month, focused on a period before the 2016 presidential election when a paid F.B.I. informant infiltrated a militia group that included the three men and secretly recorded hours of their conversations.

Politics were front and center throughout the trial, with defense lawyers portraying the F.B.I. as a bullying-government force that used its informant to steer their clients from hateful speech to violent plotting. The courtroom critiques of the F.B.I. came after a series of condemnations of the bureau by President Trump, who overwhelmingly carried Kansas in 2016.

Prosecutors, who built much of their case around the informant’s secret recordings, said that the men planned to carry out the bombing on Nov. 9, 2016, a day after voters selected a president.

“They wanted to send a message to the people living there that they’re not welcome in Garden City, they’re not welcome in southwest Kansas, they’re not welcome in the United States,” Tony Mattivi, a federal prosecutor, said during closing arguments.

The men, who called themselves “the Crusaders,” were arrested about four weeks before Election Day and charged with conspiring to use a weapon of mass destruction and conspiracy against rights, which the Justice Department considers a hate crime. Mr. Wright was also charged with lying to the F.B.I. The three men were found guilty on all counts and face up to life in prison when they are sentenced in June.

The trial came amid a national escalation in threats against religious and racial minorities, especially Muslims, according to the F.B.I. and organizations that monitor hate crimes.

“It is now approaching the level of hate violence against the same communities that we saw in the immediate wake of the 9/11 attacks,” said Suman Raghunathan, executive director of SAALT: South Asian Americans Leading Together, a national advocacy organization.

Ifrah Ahmed, a Somali resident of Garden City, said she found out about the verdicts when the police chief sent her a text message. Ms. Ahmed said she relayed the news to elders in the Somali community.

“I had faith that they were going to do what was right,” Ms. Ahmed said of the jurors. “Now we can all actually move on from it and bury it and know that justice is served.”

Prosecutors portrayed the Kansas defendants as aspiring domestic terrorists who planned to bomb the Somali apartments only after considering other attacks — on elected officials, churches that helped refugees and landlords who rented to immigrants.

Defense lawyers suggested that their clients had merely engaged in idle talk inspired partly by the 2016 election.

Stephen R. McAllister, the top federal prosecutor in Kansas, said the verdict showed the jury approved of the bureau’s tactics despite defense lawyers mounting what he described as “an attack on the F.B.I. itself.”

“The jury’s verdicts in this case are a vindication of outstanding investigative work and prosecution,” said Mr. McAllister, who was named to his post by Mr. Trump. “Terrorists, whether foreign or domestic, must be stopped and punished.”

The jury of six men and six women deliberated for about seven hours over two days.

The case forced jurors to decide when hateful rhetoric escalated from legal speech to evidence of a violent plot. Expletive-filled recordings of the men played before the jury contained repugnant, bigoted language, the defense lawyers said, but not a federal crime.

“It is not morally right to hold such hate, but it is not legally wrong,” said James Pratt, a lawyer for Mr. Stein, who acknowledged that his client referred to Muslims as “cockroaches.” Mr. Stein referred to himself, the recordings showed, as an “Orkin man,” referencing the pest extermination company.

“We all have the right to hate,” Mr. Pratt added.

Mr. McAllister rejected the suggestions of a First Amendment infringement.

“I don’t view this as a prosecution of speech at all,” Mr. McAllister said. “This was a prosecution of speech coupled with actions.”

Still, defense lawyers emphasized that no bombing took place, and no one was physically injured. They said the men lacked the ability or commitment to carry out such an attack. Mr. Pratt said his client was “all hat, no cattle,” meaning he was a big talker and little more.

“Unfortunately for Patrick,” Mr. Pratt said, “the government was willing to provide the cattle.”

Garden City is a racially diverse place about 200 miles west of Wichita with around 27,000 residents. Many Somalis and other immigrants have moved to the area to work at a nearby meatpacking plant.

The apartment complex that prosecutors say was targeted is a center of Somali life in Garden City. Many refugee families live in units of the complex; others come to pray in a makeshift mosque inside one unit.

Moussa Elbayoumy, who chairs the board of the Kansas chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations, said the verdict affirmed his faith in the justice system.

“The instance was troubling, was concerning. People were afraid,” Mr. Elbayoumy said in a phone interview. “But after that, they put this behind them and moved on with their lives.”

Kansas Trio Convicted in Plot to Bomb Somali Immigrants

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
Relieved, followed this case somewhat closely since 2016. Important to note, though, that this case isn't much different from many of the "sting" operations that are often derided for "entrapment", it just happens it was against Muslims, and not directed towards potential ISIS followers. I think the investigative technique is more valid than not, though I think the Newburgh case is a clear exception.

Lets hope for 15 years plus upon sentencing, at a minimum. The whole thing reminded me of, in a sick why, a pretty decent movie called "Betrayed" with Tom Berenger as a white supremacist terrorist who seduces an FBI agent who attempts to investigate him.

Swirv

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Defense lawyers suggested that their clients had merely engaged in idle talk inspired partly by the 2016 election.
So they want to kill because of the excitement of the 2016? Hess people are beyond sick.