Kentucky allows public schools to teach Bible classes

Shogun

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Knicks
I just think it's easier to refrain from any, than it is teach any of em. opens a can of worms that we don't need to .
Sure, but on the other hand the Bible is the most published and influential book in human history. To pretend it doesn't exist is problematic if you're trying to understand that history.

Shogun

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Knicks
Well we're talking about state indoctrination....
So a no on child soldiers?
You're talking about state indoctrination.

At this point, all thats being made possible is a course dedicated to the most widely published book in human history. If it's taught from an objective perspective (i.e. not preached), then I don't see it as much different than a course dedicated to Shakespeare.

Anwulika

All Star
Daps
people are inherently good. they are taught to hate and to dislike others.

the bible, the Koran, any religion etc, just further goes to separate and divide, cause dissention, and causes hate towards others that aren't "like them"

People are neither good nor bad inherently. Our environment shapes our behaviours, which can be perceived as good or bad depending on which society you belong to.

Anwulika

All Star
Daps
You pretty much implied, why would anyone need the bible to learn morals? Do remote tribes in Africa and South America need to read the bible to know it's wrong to kill their parents? No, It's human instinct. Someone writing it in a book doesn't mean that's where morals comes from.

I meant what I said and I said what I meant. You don't necessarily need the Bible to learn good morals but it is a very good avenue for teaching children good morals. I'm an example of this myself.

Maschine_Man

Banned
Supporter
Daps
People are neither good nor bad inherently. Our environment shapes our behaviours, which can be perceived as good or bad depending on which society you belong to.
That's not true though.....

Many studies have proven that ppl are in fact inherently good. And their environment influences them

Shogun

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Knicks
Religious education in primary and secondary education - Wikipedia

England[edit]
Religious Education (RE) is a compulsory subject in the state education system in England. Schools are required to teach a programme of religious studies according to local and national guidelines.

Religious Education in England is mandated by the Education Act 1944 as amended by the Education Reform Act 1988 and the School Standards and Framework Act 1998. The provision of Religious Education is compulsory in all state-funded schools, but it is not compulsory for any of the children to take the subject. The subject consists of the study of different religions, religious leaders, and other religious and moral themes. However, the curriculum is required to reflect the predominant place of Christianity in religious life and hence Christianity forms the majority of the content of the subject. All parents have the right to withdraw a child from religious education, which schools must approve.[1]

Additionally, all schools are required by law to provide a daily act of collective worship, of which at least 51% must be Christian in basis over the course of the academic year.[2]

France[edit]
In France, RE is replaced by a non-religious moral teaching (called civic, legal and social education : éducation civique, juridique et sociale, ECJS). Children can additionally receive, on a voluntary basis, a religious education, either at school in private religious school, or outside of school, in their religious community, if they are in a public (State) school, though in some rare regions, the old Concordat being still an obligation because of the German occupation and the strong stand of population in favour of this (in the Alsace-Moselle mainly), religious education is made compulsory, and a dispense is necessary if the child refuses to be following religious education, which is set catholic.

Israel[edit]
Israeli school system includes State Schools; Religious State Schools; Recognized Schools and Exempt Schools, whose students are regarded as fulfilling the obligatory education.[6]

Japan[edit]
The prevailing view is that the religious education would contravene the constitutional separation of state and religion.[citation needed] In place of RE, there is a short but nonetheless compulsory subject called "Ethics" (道徳どうとく doutoku, lit. "morality") in primary school, where the purpose is to teach moral values rather than to teach ethics as an academic subject. However, despite the stated secular stance, references to the majority religions of Shinto and Buddhism are sometimes made in class texts.

Malaysia[edit]
The Malaysian education system makes Moral Studies compulsory for non-Muslim students at secondary and primary schools. Muslim students instead partake in Islamic Studieslessons. Both subjects figure among the seven compulsory subjects undertaken by students for the Sijil Pelajaran Malaysia.

Norway[edit]
As of 2007 Article 2 of the Constitution of Norway mandates Evangelical-Lutheran parents to provide a religious upbringing for their children.[8]

Scotland[edit]
Main article: Education in Scotland
In Scottish state schools, Religious Education is called Religious and Moral Education from ages 5 to 14, and Religious, Moral and Philosophical Studies from 14 to 18.

The majority of state schools in are non-denominational, but as a result of the Education Act 1918, separate denominational state schools were also established. The vast majority of denominational state schools are Roman Catholic but there are also a number of Scottish Episcopal schools. The school buildings are built and maintained by the Roman Catholic Church were handed over to the state under the Education Act. Since then,the Catholic schools are fully funded by the Scottish Government and administered by the Education and Lifelong Learning Directorate.

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/02188790802036653?journalCode=cape20

The revival of Confucianism in Chinese schools: a historical-political review
This article examines the “back to tradition” movement in Chinese schools and its political nature. It focuses on the launch of the “education in Chinese traditional virtues” project in the 1980s and various new developments at the present time, which continue a revival of Confucianism in Chinese society and education.

@ADevilYouKhow Where are all the child soldiers?
child-soldiers-world-map.jpg

NoMayo15

All Star
Daps
Sure, but on the other hand the Bible is the most published and influential book in human history. To pretend it doesn't exist is problematic if you're trying to understand that history.

This. I don't see why we should keep information from children, but it's certainly debatable at what age it's appropriate, and the context in which it's taught. I don't see how you could have a world history class, for example, and not bring up the various different beliefs and how they may have influenced those who believed. I remember being taught about a variety of religions from as early as elementary school, but I certainly wasn't indoctrinated and use 'atheism' to describe my position on religion today. I know that's anecdotal, but it can be done.