Latin community airs out the National Hispanic Foundation for snubbing Afro-Latino Oscar nominee

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.

National Hispanic Foundation Seemingly Forgets Colman Domingo’s Afro-Latino Heritage In Oscar Shoutout​

Jan 25, 2024
Colman Domingo made history on Tuesday, Jan. 23, when the 2024 Academy Award nominations were announced, and his name was included on the list for Best Actor in a Leading Role. Nominated for playing the title character in Rustin, Netflix’s biopic about the gay Black civil rights leader Bayard Rustin, an adviser to Martin Luther King Jr. and the architect of the 1963 March on Washington, Domingo made history as the first Afro-Latino nominated for Best Actor

However, soon after the Oscar nominations were announced, one diversity-geared organization faced backlash for celebrating Latin Oscar nominees and failing to include Domingo’s name. The National Hispanic Foundation for the Arts is under fire on social after posting a celebratory post that only acknowledged actress America Ferrera and singer Becky G’s Oscar nominations.

Social media users wasted no time calling out the foundation for what appeared to be a blatant snub toward Domingo’s Afro-Latino ethnicity. The Color Purple star was born in Philadelphia, but his father is from Belize, and his family is from Guatemala.
You forgot Coleman Domingo, and we all know why,” one user wrote.
“You all are clearly racist & antiblack,” another user quipped.

One user blasted the foundation for omitting Domingo from a highlighting the “Latino Representation” in this year’s Oscar nominations.

“The National Hispanic Foundation shouting out Latin Oscar nominees but leaving out Coleman Domingo who’s literally have his MOMENT while using the hashtag #LatinoRepresentation is exactly everything wrong w/ how my community treats Afro-Latinos,” they wrote.

It took over two hours later for the foundation to acknowledge the slip-up and respond with a post claiming Domingo was deserving of his own separate celebratory post.

“We completely agree that Colman Domingo’s historic nomination should be celebrated – and we wanted to call out this moment in a separate post,” they wrote. “We will continue working hard to bring light to the wins of the Latino community in the arts.”

Last edited:

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
They only got in an uproar because he played a gay character and they wanted the alphabet community to get recognition.

Being Latino and black is secondary to the social media mob.

If he'd been left out and got nominated for playing Whitney Young they wouldn't have said a thing.

I support the guy getting recognition. I just doubt the motivations behind this uproar.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
They only got in an uproar because he played a gay character and they wanted the alphabet community to get recognition.

If he'd been left out and got nominated for playing Whitney Young they wouldn't have said a thing.

I support the guy getting recognition. I just doubt the motivations behind this uproar.
I disagree. The big boy Oscar awards are best film, best director, actor and actress.
Fact that this is an organization representing a community in the arts, and he got nominated for the highest industry award, doesnt add up that they wouldn't acknowledge it.
And people rightfully called them out.

Givethanks

Superstar
Daps
Me personally, if I was an afro Latino, I'd dead ass start calling any Latinos with white skin Spanish/Spaniards. Gotta stop trying to rub shoulders with people who don't want you. Mfkrs will eat your food, dance your dances, listen to your music, your people fought against their ancestors (Spaniards) for their/your freedoms (look up Latin American history) but they wanna act ways.

Go switch up the term, the way Africa influenced their whole culture and they try to play that shyt down is wild.

I've seen natives from the top of Nunavut Canada all the way down to the south of Chile, these frauds don't look like them, the piggy backing is crazy.
:wtf:

Diddly Drogba

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
#FreeEva

He's gay in real life

Ricky Fontaine

Superstar
Daps
Me personally, if I was an afro Latino, I'd dead ass start calling any Latinos with white skin Spanish/Spaniards. Gotta stop trying to rub shoulders with people who don't want you. Mfkrs will eat your food, dance your dances, listen to your music, your people fought against their ancestors (Spaniards) for their/your freedoms (look up Latin American history) but they wanna act ways.

Go switch up the term, the way Africa influenced their whole culture and they try to play that shyt down is wild.

I've seen natives from the top of Nunavut Canada all the way down to the south of Chile, these frauds don't look like them, the piggy backing is crazy.
:wtf:

They are gonna have to learn the hard way the way it took black people decades to realize that mulattos and quadroons don't have the same lived experience as full black people with an undeniably black phenotype.