Med School/Health Career

Daps
Reppin
NULL
I don't see any thread on the topic. But how many doctors/medical professionals do we have here?? I'm looking at a fast track med program, or a post-bacc pre-med program option. I'm wondering how grueling the process really is and if it would be worth it at this point. I'll be 31 next month and have experience in education/counseling, mental health, and software development. So this would be a major switch for me. I want to specialize in neuro (non-surgical) and would also consider psychiatry.

1.) Taking money out of the picture, how long is the process and is it worthwhile in the long-run??

2.) Throw money back into the equation and assume I paid 100% out of pocket, is the ROI still promising? Note: I'm not doing it for the money, but I'm an Econ/Finance grad so I can't ignore the details.

3.) If not a physician, then is the NP or PA route a good alternative? And are they quicker??

I want to study medicine, with a strong emphasis on mental health, how trauma impacts the brain, and neurological disorders in youth/adolescents.

DamienWayne

Superstar
Daps
I recently made the decision to pursue a career in healthcare . Iv done my research so hopefully I can answer some questions

1) how long will it take- that depends on a few things. Wat your undergrad degree was in and how many prerequisites u need to take. Programs are different but most require certain upper division science courses. Assuming u had to do a post Bach before med school it will be about 6 years.

2) how much will it cost - post bachs are very expensive , they are basically a masters program. Iv heard of them costing about 80 to 100 k. Med school itself is another 100k average physician salary is about 100k average med school loan debt about 200k.

3 ) good alternatives- this im still looking into myself, my bs is in biology. PA salary is about 80-90k after a two year degree. But there is little career growth from wat Iv been told. Im 29 and am currently taking prereqs to apply to pt school. I have a friend who is a third year med student at 24. She's talking classes with people from age 23- 40 so old in med school is relative, apparently most people come to school after having careers in other things so it's never too late. Good luck

Daps
Reppin
NULL
what makes you want to switch from econ/finance to medical?

I pursued Econ and Finance for the work I did in education. As well as some personal interests I had a while back. Honestly, I would've majored in physics and chemical engineering if I would've had decent work ethic my first two years of undergrad. But I knew I didn't, so I pursued quantitative programs that would leave the door open for whatever I decided to do as a career.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
I recently made the decision to pursue a career in healthcare . Iv done my research so hopefully I can answer some questions

1) how long will it take- that depends on a few things. Wat your undergrad degree was in and how many prerequisites u need to take. Programs are different but most require certain upper division science courses. Assuming u had to do a post Bach before med school it will be about 6 years.

2) how much will it cost - post bachs are very expensive , they are basically a masters program. Iv heard of them costing about 80 to 100 k. Med school itself is another 100k average physician salary is about 100k average med school loan debt about 200k.

3 ) good alternatives- this im still looking into myself, my bs is in biology. PA salary is about 80-90k after a two year degree. But there is little career growth from wat Iv been told. Im 29 and am currently taking prereqs to apply to pt school. I have a friend who is a third year med student at 24. She's talking classes with people from age 23- 40 so old in med school is relative, apparently most people come to school after having careers in other things so it's never too late. Good luck

Good looking out! Definitely helps to provide some insight. I anticipate it being a great time commitment. And I'm okay with that as long as the process is actually stimulating and straight-forward. I don't want to find myself roped into taking courses all over the place like they force upon you in undergrad. I actually got into an MSW program in order to specialize in treating traumatized youth. I was able to do some brain mapping which really sparked my interest in medicine all over again. I'd rather spend those 2 years toward becoming a doctor. And I can do psychiatry if I still want direct practice with mental health. That's what I'm thinking could work.